• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Tobacco floaters for peppers?

Have done this with corn.  Its great cause once you get your plugs, you can till down, mulch up, and stick the plugs in the ground.  Weeds have no chance of catching up with the corn.  But I wonder if it would work for peppers, in particular the long season.  Not sure how early before last frost it would work.

Dig trench, line with black plastic (sucks up heat), fill with water and nutrients.  In my case, thats barn scrapings.  Then you use these Styrofoam seed trays, float in the liquid, cover hole with clear plastic.  You gotta make some sort of peak in the plastic so rain will sheet, but you can do that with scrap.

Its basically the cheap / poor man's way of starting tobacco.

I start my tobacco in seed trays. Transplant individual plants once they have real leaves into individual cells and then once more into 3" pots once the weather warms up. By this time they are about 6".

AJ Drew said:
Have done this with corn.  Its great cause once you get your plugs, you can till down, mulch up, and stick the plugs in the ground.  Weeds have no chance of catching up with the corn.  But I wonder if it would work for peppers, in particular the long season.  Not sure how early before last frost it would work.

Dig trench, line with black plastic (sucks up heat), fill with water and nutrients.  In my case, thats barn scrapings.  Then you use these Styrofoam seed trays, float in the liquid, cover hole with clear plastic.  You gotta make some sort of peak in the plastic so rain will sheet, but you can do that with scrap.

Its basically the cheap / poor man's way of starting tobacco.

I know you farm as a family business, so I'm curious why you would want to grow tobacco, with what I consider extreme taxation and regulation??

Back