•  

The 10th Annual Hot Pepper Awards Winners Announced!

Photo

Hot Sauce from Dried Peppers?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 Greenguru

Greenguru

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 378 posts
  • aka:Greenguru

Posted 19 March 2017 - 12:29 PM

555161345c32bdca5709161a09063971.jpg

This is the type ferment I do,I never tried to get the liquids out of yogurt

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

#1A Guest

• Pip
  • 1 post

#22 Greenguru

Greenguru

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:16 PM

Thanks for the tip very much :)

#23 MikeUSMC

MikeUSMC

Hot

• Extreme
  • 939 posts
  • aka:Iron Mike

Posted 19 March 2017 - 07:39 PM

I never tried to get the liquids out of yogurt

Here's a pic of the back of a sour cream container from the very first ferment I did. This says "LIVE YOGURT CULTURES." This stuff will work, but in my opinion, the powdered probiotics work much faster. Most of the time I can see activity in the jar in 18 hours
500A7B7D-DDEA-4278-86B4-312756F4D695_zps

Thanks for the tip very much :)

Any time! Glad I could help ;)

Edited by MikeUSMC, 19 March 2017 - 07:52 PM.

GIVE WAR A CHANCE

#24 salsalady

salsalady

On Fire!

• Extreme Biz
  • 12,912 posts
  • aka:SL, HSL
  • (x8)

Posted 19 March 2017 - 07:50 PM

so if i was to do a ferment I could use any ole jared store bought kraut or does it have to be one those fancy ones?

canned kraut won't work..."canned" as in in a metal can or glass jar on a store shelf.  Refrigerated, (unpasteurized?) kraut juice will work.  We have some in 16 oz jars for about $8, there are some packets for less.  The one I used last was actually an uncooked dill pickle kraut.  I didn't really care for the dill pickle kraut, but the 1/2 cup of juice I poured out definitely kickstarted the fermentation. 

I think Kombucha drinks also have live cultures going on. 

PureEvilProducts

The Chile Addict's prayer-"Lord, grant me the wisdom to know it will be too hot, the courage to eat it anyway, and the serenity to accept the pain that follows. Amen"

PepperPeopleRock! 

#25 D3monic

D3monic

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 9,164 posts
  • aka:D3
  • (x6)

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:23 PM

canned kraut won't work..."canned" as in in a metal can or glass jar on a store shelf.  Refrigerated, (unpasteurized?) kraut juice will work.  We have some in 16 oz jars for about $8, there are some packets for less.  The one I used last was actually an uncooked dill pickle kraut.  I didn't really care for the dill pickle kraut, but the 1/2 cup of juice I poured out definitely kickstarted the fermentation. 

Ok, that's what I kind of figured. I've seen bags of live kraut before that where really good though I don't see them often. 

Find me on Instagram

Can I help it if I'm one of those fanatical TD fans?I got my #3 Demonic jersey on, my face is painted, and I cant stop yelling WOOOOOO!!

#26 ShowMeDaSauce

ShowMeDaSauce

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:56 AM

Its soooooo easy to make your own culture from homemade kraut. I use a cheap fermenter with a inner lid that holds down the veggies. I make kraut and use a tbs or 2 of the juice as a starter. I set my kraut in a semi warm spot for 2-3 days then in the fridge it goes. Leave it alone for a couple weeks. I have kraut juice for many months from a single head of cabbage and a $14 fermenter. Havent had a batch go bad yet.

The nice side benefit is you have killer kraut to eat too with all the probiotics. I just put a batch of spicy kraut in the fridge yesterday. 3 days on the counter and it was already sour using this type of starter.

Get something like this and never look back.

P1020411_zpsowm9foqt.jpg

KimchiBucket2_zpsmehuwjlt.jpg

KimchiBucket4_zpsh0zhke17.jpg

#27 PaulF

PaulF

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:54 AM

Just checking back in to say thanks, and keep the discussion going!

I have a big crock with airlock lid for making kraut (like the one in the link below, not selling, just showing)...  I have a batch of "red and green" kraut fermenting now, and as of sunday it's getting a decent sour after two weeks.  I plan on skimming some juice off to make a dried pepper mash if I have time next weekend!

https://www.everythi...JD68aAoxv8P8HAQ

#28 ShowMeDaSauce

ShowMeDaSauce

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 11:10 AM

Something else ive been using lately is Asian pear puree. You can use Bosc pear if you cant get Asian pear. The Lacto bacteria seems to love this stuff and it imparts very little flavor or sweetness to the finished ferment. It adds just enough sugars for the bacteria to get a good start.

Puree some pear, onion, garlic and tiny bit of fish sauce (optional) in just enough water to make a smoothie. Put it in a ice cube tray and freeze. Remove the cubes and place in a freezer bag for later use. Add 1-2 cubes to your ferments. I add Korean pepper flakes to mine until its a paste and then freeze it.

Edited by ShowMeDaSauce, 21 March 2017 - 11:11 AM.

#29 Greenguru

Greenguru

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 06:01 PM

Hello,

I was going to use some of the juice out of a cabbage ferment I have going I know it has been pasteurized. I think it will work OK thanks GG

ps...... i did read on down that it will work few teaspoons... how big of a batch will few teaspoons do I looking at batch size of Five gallons 

Edited by Greenguru, 13 April 2017 - 01:49 PM.

#30 ShowMeDaSauce

ShowMeDaSauce

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 08:17 AM

If you pasteurized your kraut the bacteria is dead. Homemade kraut keeps for months in the fridge. There is no reason to pasteurize unless you are canning it.

#31 Bicycle808

Bicycle808

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 444 posts
  • aka:Streetwise with a "Z"

Posted 13 April 2017 - 06:24 PM

The peppers I have I've seen called Tian Jin, Tian Tsin, or Tien Tsin. I've you've ever had szechuan chicken and bit into a leathery thing, thats them :-)
I planted a bunch of seeds from the dried pods, and hopefully will have some NOT dried ones by fall... but still have this huge bag of the dried ones!

Paul F.

Some inspiration for ya; Peter S does some cool shit with peppers. 

http://thehotpepper....itchen-peppers/

Personally, I do some much goofy cooking with low-buck generic dried peppers from the "specialty market," i'm a bit ashamed that i never tried to plant any... especially being that there's so many extra seeds at the bottom of the bag!  I bet the germ rate would be woefully low, but still.... free seeds, right?

You are entering the buttocks with the spicy hand of Chinese pepper? And pleasure from this low pepper? I am not sure but the scorpion pepper musk when raw, is the sexual experience. This is granted, and evident in the taste, and the woman jealous. 

#32 Sprawlaholic

Sprawlaholic

Mild

• Extreme
  • 60 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 07:33 PM

Hey, you can definitely make a quality sauce from dried pods.  You will want to rehydrate them in warm water until they are soft.  After that, you can really go any direction you want.  

The basic recipe is:

Sautee an onion and garlic and add your rehydrated peppers.  Add a little bit of water, just enough to keep things from drying out.  Let the pot simmer for like 20-30 minutes.

Now you can turn off the heat and add about a cup of vinegar.  Throw everything in the blender and liquify the bejeebers out of it.  Then pass it through a foodmill or sieve.  Keep adding vinegar or water until you get your desired texture, then add salt to taste.  I usually add lime to almost every batch, but with Asian peppers you might wanna go a different direction.

Good luck.

#33 The Hot Pepper

The Hot Pepper

On Fire!

• Administrators
  • 39,853 posts
  • aka:Pookie
  • (x3)

Posted 14 April 2017 - 07:36 PM

Anyone who ever asks this question, I always ask them if they've had a chipotle hot sauce. Yes? Well there you go. At one pint in the chipotle's life, it was dried. ;)

:cheers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests