• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

water How to make tiny self-watering wick systems

So, this is a refinement to the larger, double bucket system.

I've never understood why the double bucket still exists. It's wasteful, and labor intensive. As opposed to the "Hempy" approach, which uses a layer of perlite in the bottom, and a hole on the side of the container to regulate the water level in the reservoir.

Have you considered making a pint size hempy? (with traditional potting mix, instead of 100% perlite)

solid7 said:
So, this is a refinement to the larger, double bucket system.

I've never understood why the double bucket still exists. It's wasteful, and labor intensive. As opposed to the "Hempy" approach, which uses a layer of perlite in the bottom, and a hole on the side of the container to regulate the water level in the reservoir.

Have you considered making a pint size hempy? (with traditional potting mix, instead of 100% perlite)
I haven't tried the hempy method, but looks interesting. Not having used it, but looking at how it works, I wonder if traditional potting mix would soak too much back and restrict aeration to the roots? Definitely seems worth experimenting with.

I haven't tried the hempy method, but looks interesting. Not having used it, but looking at how it works, I wonder if traditional potting mix would soak too much back and restrict aeration to the roots? Definitely seems worth experimenting with.
I use them all of the time. I can't remember which threads, but I've posted my results. (which have been some of the best in my region, of all the methods that I've tried)

I've used both coco coir and peat mixes. I prefer coco coir, because it holds structure much better than peat, and for longer periods of time. Structure = drainage and aeration. (or better put, no loss, thereof)

solid7 said:
I use them all of the time. I can't remember which threads, but I've posted my results. (which have been some of the best in my region, of all the methods that I've tried)

I've used both coco coir and peat mixes. I prefer coco coir, because it holds structure much better than peat, and for longer periods of time. Structure = drainage and aeration. (or better put, no loss, thereof)
That's awesome. Do you use the chunky coco coir chips, or finer type? I have some of both I could try.

That's awesome. Do you use the chunky coco coir chips, or finer type? I have some of both I could try.
I use:

3 parts coco coir. (pith, not fiber)
1 part perlite
1 part aged rabbit manure or 1/2 part worm castings

Works indoors or outdoors.

A bit off topic but not really 
I have a self watering pot and I just mixed 5L of vermiculite with 15L of premium potting mix and it wicks fine (I put a single plant that was just cotys so not a large root system)

That bitch grows faster than any of the other plants

I have no problem with perlite - especially when it cuts down on the use of plastic. 4" of perlite in the bottom of a bucket saves the destruction of one extra bucket. It also provides a highly aerated root zone.
If you feel that it's problematic, from an ecological standpoint, crushed volcanic rock works as a substitute. It also has the benefit of adding sufficient weight to keep the container from tipping over, when growing tall plants.
Because I grow outdoors, I absolutely hate the water reservoir, from the standpoint of algae and mosquitoes.

A bit off topic but not really 
I have a self watering pot and I just mixed 5L of vermiculite with 15L of premium potting mix and it wicks fine (I put a single plant that was just cotys so not a large root system)

That bitch grows faster than any of the other plants
That's because - contrary to the notion put forth so often, that we should wait until our plants begin to wilt before watering - a plant that receives water in a constant supply, will not have any interruptions in nutrient uptake. (provided the nutrients are present, obviously) The proper media structure is important, but quite forgiving.
I totally second your observation about plants grown in wicking systems. I've almost completely switched over.

Is something like this worth it if you are just growing plants for transplant to an outside raised bed?

I need a simple method for growing 30+ plants for transplant and currently am using a modified double cup with red solos.... once they get topping size they go through water like crazy though.

Gets a bit tedious watering 30+ plants every 24-36 hours 

seussiii said:
Is something like this worth it if you are just growing plants for transplant to an outside raised bed?

I need a simple method for growing 30+ plants for transplant and currently am using a modified double cup with red solos.... once they get topping size they go through water like crazy though.

Gets a bit tedious watering 30+ plants every 24-36 hours 

It's way easier than that...  Just put your cups in a large drywall mixing tub, and let the water wick up into the single cups.  Not only can you water multiple plants easily, in a self-contained system, but you can also transport them easily, when ready to transplant.  I own quite a few of these, myself.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/MacCourt-Drywall-Mud-Pans/1054711

Back