• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

2017 Grow List - Bris. Aus.

Hi all,

As a newcomer to chilli growing I have been bitten by the hot chilli bug badly this year.

I started some plants back in late 2016 after getting seeds abroad.

The whole venture is getting a bit out of hand but I've started two raised beds and just starting on a third bed among many pots too.

I'll put pictures up when I can but here is my current list:

S = seedling, V = vegetative, F = flowering/fruiting

1. Mucho Nacho jalapeno (F)
2. Aji amarillo (V)
3. Chocolate Douglah (F)
4. Firecracker jalapeno (F)
5. Cayenne Caysan (F)
6. Habanero (F)
7. Manzano (V)
8. Bhut jolokia (V)
9. Chocolate Brain Strain x Reaper (V)
10. Carolina Reaper (V)
11. Tabasco (F)
12. Siling Labuyo (F)
13. Trinidad Scorpion (V)
14. Siam yellow (F)
15. Peri peri (F)
16. Um Ji Put (S)
17. Star of Turkey (S)
18. Maras Biber (S)
19. Fushimi (S)
20. Butch T Scorpion (S)
21. Black Thai TQ (S)
22. Aji Lemon (S)
23. Bahamian Goat (S)
24. Bhut jolokia peach (S)
25. Chocolate Brain Strain (V)
26. Red Cap Mushroom (V)

Just some pics from the wet weekend we had here of the current raised beds.

IMG_1535_zpsert01zx1.jpg

IMG_1536_zpsl9fnqvcn.jpg

Will post a few more a little later.

Some general notes for local readers.

* Bunnings plants around my area almost all come with bonus broad mites.

* The raised beds are 1000 cubic litres with 400mm depth.

* I filled the base with a cheaper tomato and vegetable mix containing blood and bone which is around $4 for 25L bags and top dressed with a seed raising type mix. I put some "Rooster Booster" pellets through this as well as dolomite and then ready to plant.

* I use a variety of ferts. Rooster Booster is the mainstay but I give fortnightly Seasol seaweed and Powerfeed fish emulsion. Every week I'll water with dilute worm tea and sometimes a very dilute Bokashi juice.

One "mistake" I have made is fairly dense planting at around 30cm intervals meaning I have around 18 plants per raised bed but with the level of nutrients I think it won't be a severe limiting factor. Some of the plants are already at around 60-70cm tall.

More space and fewer plants (more fruit per plant) vs denser and more plants (fewer fruits per plant) was a compromise I made to increase the number of varieties I'm growing.

Well that's about it for now.

Any tips or comments welcome.

Looking good, mate!

:welcome: from another Brisburnian.

Lotsa ladybugs around these parts. Hoverflies too (another enemy of the aphid). We are fortunate in that respect! :D

But yeah, our curse comes in the form of the broad mite... and probably even worse... the QLD fruit fly.

Have you had to deal with the fruit fly yet? There's a nightmare you should start planning for if you haven't already. Dead-set, it's not a question of 'if' but 'when'......

captaicin said:
Some general notes for local readers.

* Bunnings plants around my area almost all come with bonus broad mites.

You hit the nail on the head with that one! haha

Plenty of hoverflies too yes :)

No issues with fruit fly yet. Not many gardens around here with fruit trees but I have some yellow traps ready to deploy if there are problems.

Any tips on how else to manage them?

Best way I have found is to bag pods or whole branches with exclusion bags.

Organza bags are a good cheap option. Your local dollar shop (Crazy Clarks or the like) should stock them, else I believe you can find them cheap as chips online on ebay or whatever.

Trick is to bag as soon as the pod starts forming... despite what is said, the dirty buggers sting well before the fruit starts to ripen. Trust me on that!

Tried traps, baits, etc, once upon a time but no dice.

Not to say that kind of stuff doesn't work... maybe I didn't put enough effort in... but personally it never worked for me.

PITA but we do what we gotta do!!!

So we've had 4 solid days of overcast and rainy days with up to 50mm rain on heavy downpours.

I had grown some seedlings in pots and remember that they were only 4 varieties but unfortunately I didn't label thinking I'd only remain at that sort of level - never imagining the flood of new varieties afterwards. 

I thought that identifying them after pods arrived would be straightforward...

Well here are the pods from the most advanced pot plant that I have. The pods could be one of:

1. Chocolate Douglah
2. Trinidad Moruga
3. Smokin' Eds Douglah x Carolina Reaper
4. Chocolate Scorpion Brain Strain

They're still unripe but I'm wondering if anyone will be able to give a reasonable guess based on the pod morphology which it will be?

The biggest pod
IMG_1548_zps5jlat2t6.jpg

Same pod from above
IMG_1549_zpshtz7cekp.jpg

Two smaller pods on same plant
IMG_1550_zpsdswcht6a.jpg

Just a picture of some other things going on...

Some seedlings starting. Have some sunburn from being moved recently.

IMG_1566_zpspwnxsyts.jpg

IMG_1565_zps8c0qa6hg.jpg

Some cayenne peppers

IMG_1551_zps4v3pw7dk.jpg

A chocolate douglah forming

IMG_1552_zpsp8qovg7q.jpg

A purple seedling from a surprise mix I threw into an empty pot (I have another purple in another pot again from a surprise mix of seeds I had).

IMG_1554_zpsxtmqhxjd.jpg

G'day from the land of the blues! Post #11 looks to me like the douglah X Reaper, the tail coming from the indent at the base of the pod makes me think this way...
Are you guys aware of the seed train we're organising for our sunburnt country? If not, you should definitely consider joining; we've got quite a line up so far! :party:

Here's the link if you're interested:
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/63922-all-aboard-the-aussie-seed-train/

Good luck with your grow!

OK, here is some controversy in this post and pictures.

I bought an African Birdseye chilli plant which has done very well where I have planted it and is on the verge of its first harvest. 

I was surprised by the size of the fruit which were getting to almost 10cm long and thought it had been mislabeled somewhere along the line.

Then a quick check online and there is lots of confusing information on this variety - Piri Piri - especially on Wikipedia.

Wikipedia says Piri Piri is a chinense based on a reference from a .gov site. 

On the other hand it links to C. frutescens which then lists piri-piri as a frutescens cultivar.

So which is it? I don't know. I suspect that the piri-piri or African Birdseye is a generic label applied to many similar plants in the African countries it is grown.

Here is my plant which has fruits that definitely start as upright like frutescens but get so big they begin to droop and then hang.

Start small and upright.
IMG_1581_zpsxotdwaaq.jpg

Bottom of plant with hanging larger fruit
IMG_1583_zps4jqhtees.jpg

Middle of plant with fruit beginning to descend and sideways
IMG_1585_zpsgim1y5l1.jpg

Note that the flowers are all upright like a frutescens in all the shots.

My plant seems to follow the description of the fruit OK with 8-10cm long blunt ended fruit described as Piri-Piri on Wikipedia and while it is a frutescens its hanging fruit at the bottoms could confuse someone perhaps.

Looking forward to harvesting and tasting some of these.

Cyclonal rains in a 2000km weather system have brought around 100mm of rain down here so some of my plants are really suffering. 

Mini harvest...
IMG_1587_zpshte4yzil.jpg

The Mucho Nachos are really getting big and plump now. I bought these with a broad mite problem and they had a sulphur treatment around 4 weeks ago then another 2 weeks ago and the newer growth and flowers are coming on without the broad mite damage to new growth and buds etc. I had been disappointed with the first pods and was considering pulling them soon but these new pods are very promising.

ThatBlondGuy101 said:
G'day from the land of the blues! Post #11 looks to me like the douglah X Reaper, the tail coming from the indent at the base of the pod makes me think this way...
Are you guys aware of the seed train we're organising for our sunburnt country? If not, you should definitely consider joining; we've got quite a line up so far! :party:

Here's the link if you're interested:
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/63922-all-aboard-the-aussie-seed-train/

Good luck with your grow!
Hi TBG,

I have looked at the train theead and will join at some point but I'm very sparse at present regarding seeds to share.

The fruit I'm getting like those above are mostly from the more advanced plants I purchased which are pretty much all hybrids so not worth saving seed from. In a couple of months I'll have some provided there isn't some sort of disaster around here.

Thanks for looking in and the invitation to the seed train.

captaicin said:
Hi TBG,

I have looked at the train theead and will join at some point but I'm very sparse at present regarding seeds to share.

The fruit I'm getting like those above are mostly from the more advanced plants I purchased which are pretty much all hybrids so not worth saving seed from. In a couple of months I'll have some provided there isn't some sort of disaster around here.

Thanks for looking in and the invitation to the seed train.

No worries mate, jump in whenever you're ready, the train won't be within your reach for a few weeks anyway, so you've got plenty of time... And any seed is a good seed, whether it be hybrid, mixed pollination or pure! :) Good luck with your grow, TBG

Quick update. The pods from the photo above have started ripening...

IMG_1698_zpsmjnwyxyi.jpg

IMG_1700_zpscxt4dkht.jpg

IMG_1699_zpsyol8mzlt.jpg

This one was supposed to be a Chocolate Douglah but is ripening to an orange colour...
IMG_1701_zpsqtgscyoh.jpg

My biggest plant so far is this Tabasco...
IMG_1702_zpss8ejwhhe.jpg

Some of the seedlings from the first post are beginning to grow. The smaller ones are new seedlings of Butch T and Goat...
IMG_1703_zps5fjvxqlq.jpg

The cooler weather appears to have allowed my Manzano to finally grow a little and put out some flowers and pods...
IMG_1704_zps3ajnxexg.jpg

IMG_1705_zpsofot7wbm.jpg

Forgot to take some pics but I am very impressed with a white Habanero plant that packs an amazing flavour and medium heat into its pods.

Till next time :)

Hey,  :welcome: to the forum, Osco. Always great to have
another southern brother join up!  Those chocolate pods
look downright tasty - one of my favorite powders is chocolate
blend of whatever choco pods I grow any given season!

Back