• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Curry Thread

Didn't see a dedicated one so created one :)

Been having a curry craving for a while so managed it a couple days ago.

-500gr Dried beans soaked 4 hours
-PC cooked for 20min (till soft)
-Spice mix- 60gr Coconut organic
                  1 tbsp Cumin
                  2 tbsp Turmeric
                  1 tbsp seasoning mix
                  1 tbsp org Coriander powder
                  1 tbsp Whole cardamon
                  1 cup Chines Cayenne (in this case)
                  1/2 tsp salt (to taste)

-Blitz mix and then add to chickpeas in pot, rise cooker in this case. Boil for 20min, add 1/2cup raisins (optional) and simmer another 30 min.
The raisins adds a nice body of slight sweetness to the mix.

I jarred 1.5L for later consumption :)

P1100968_CurryChickpeas-1000_zpsqm8lgcmf.jpg

P1100969_CurryChickpeas-1000_zpsjsxfqm6b.jpg

P1100970_CurryChickpeas-1000_zps27hksvtf.jpg

P1100971_CurryChickpeas-1000_zpsmcziaeea.jpg

P1100972_CurryChickpeas-1000_zpsxpeqvnyd.jpg

I live in a very curry oriented neighborhood........you can smell the Curry outside around dinner time....I love it.....I could chow down on that......I might have to do some curried goat soon.

Sizzle Lips said:
I live in a very curry oriented neighborhood........you can smell the Curry outside around dinner time....I love it.....I could chow down on that......I might have to do some curried goat soon.
I purchased an Indian Curry leaf tree about 2.5 years ago and it has done very little growing until recently. Over the past few months it has just taken off with a heap of new growth, the aroma comming off it is totaly awesome ..i can even smell it from inside the house, it almost makes me salivate.

I have several Indian markets within driving distance. Curry leaves and shallots are CHEAP at those markets. Green or black cardamom are also reasonable. I leave cardamom whole but cracked in curries, if i need ground i just get the seeds instead of pods. I love biting down on a whole green cardamom. Hated it at first but now i love the surprise.

Black cardamom is wonderful in beef soup or stew too. Just go easy on it and most people wouldn't know its there. Mostly only the smokiness comes through.

One of my favorite masalas is vadouvan. Its a French twist on a Indian curry. Vadouvan includes fried shallots, fried garlic, thyme and rosemary. I add a good shot of Korean pepper flakes to mine also. Add hab type peppers and you have a good Caribbean type curry.

Was on point. Great flavors, similar to penang but with a Mexican twist. Nice thick cod, the lobster, in the broth for richness.

IMG_20170402_171407.jpg

Oh yeah, the deep fried "masa croutons" were a nice touch (basically like little masa fritters)...

Try crawfish tails in curry. Argentine red shrimp work well too. They taste different than gulf shrimp to me, Almost like a cross between shrimp and lobster.

If you ever get a larger tough catfish like a flat head. They hold up well too. Soak the meat in salt water and lemon juice over night. Buttermilk works too. Poach it just long enough to get rid of the scum. Add catfish chunks to a curry near the end. Great way to use a strong tasting old catfish. It wont flake apart.

Made some Butter Curry Paste, cooked up some turkey with it, Mmmmmmmmm.

Butter-1 cup/16tbsp
Ginger Fresh 8tsp
Cinnamon Stick 16inch /3tbsp powder
Cloves-16 / 1/2 tbsp
Cardamom Greeen 16 pods
Fenugreek seeds 8pinches
Chilies 16
Chilie/Paprika powder 8tsp
Tomatoes large 32   ********** (7)
Cashew Nuts 80
Garam Masala 5tsp
Turmeric 1 tbsp
Garlic 3 large cloves

Blitz all except butter, add tomatoes so it mixes well. Cook with butter for 5 min then simmer for a couple hours. Jar it up.

Add some to Turkey/Meat/Chickpeas with added tomatoes to make it liquid, slow cook till done.

P6260971_ButterChickenSauce-1000_zpsytdk8lif.jpg

P6260973_ButterChickenSauce-1000_zpsgxty19kl.jpg

P1110506_ButterChickenSauce-1000_zps6xwazro5.jpg

P1110519_ButterCurryTurkeyBRBasmati-1000_zpswgl5hx63.jpg

Dang nice pics yall

I steer clear of the coconut stuff, I like thick gravy.

Usually do a few tomatos an onion, ginger, garlic, and a couple of Assam Super-Hot chiles in a pan with vegetable oil til soft. Take that and dump in in a food processor until its paste. Then dump it back in the pan with whatever kinds of curry powder is appropriate for the vegetables or meats. Madras powder is a good stand by. I also like putting mustard seeds and sometimes whole cumin in at this step.

Then its just dump in some vegetables, or meats, and simmer until youre hungry!

I'd post pics...but I already have so many curry photos out there on the site already...that it'd just be re-sawing the sawdust.

...good thread, though!! :party:

.....then again. ;)

Gorizza said:
I steer clear of the coconut stuff, I like thick gravy.

This one was made with coconut...and it's plenty thick....

CisvjNj.jpg

It was made with AJ's fatalii puree (instead of tomatoes), onions, garlic, ginger, and the usual lineup of Masala spices.....then topped with cashews and a hint of Apricot preserves....served over basmati rice...

....hot as hell...sweet...thick...and full of flavor.

Back