• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Cutting the cheese

This was spilling over on the grilled cheese thread so i thought it deserved its own thread. While picking up some double fermented soy sauce and Red Boat fish sauce i saw this at the market.

Grafton Village 1 year. I figured what the heck and took home a small block.
GVC1YR_zpsubx2kxky.jpg

My first thought was DAMN, this is sharp for a 1year old cheddar. So much so that its a very dominant flavor. Nutty and sweet are in the back of the bus. Salt is on point though, just about perfect for my tastes. Buttery comes in 2nd in both flavor and mouth feel. Texture is good but you know right away its young or at least aged in conditions that are likely better suited for longer aging. The lack of "crystals" was slightly disappointing but not really expected from a 1 year that cost under $10/lb. Its well worth the money.

After eating a small block it left me wondering. I bet this would have been outstanding in a few more years. Grafton offers cheddar upto 5 years old. I didn't find their claim that it stands upto cheddar twice as old to be true for me. Ive had several 15month old that were easily better but they were also more expensive.

If you like a simple profile straight up sharp Vermont cheddar, there is certainly nothing wrong with this one. If you prefer a more complex flavor profile i think you will be somewhat disappointed, A couple ive tried from the Cabots Legacy collection easily have it beat in that regard and cost only slightly more.

Different cheese for different situations. You'd never want to melt 5 yr. crystallized cave cheddar, so you'd go for something like this where you get the benefits of good cheddar in something you're not afraid to melt... to me it's not about disappointment, it's more about the right cheese for the right meal. ;)

If you get a chance try Cabots White Oak and the Alpine Cheddar. A 6oz bar on sale is normally well under $4. The White Oak is the cheese they use for the cloth bound. The Alpine Cheddar is somewhat of a confused cheese to me. Its not quite sure what it wants to be. Hints of Swiss and texture approaching a young Parmesan is the only way i can describe it. Both are outstanding for fairly young inexpensive cheddars. Although its almost hard to call the Alpine a cheddar.

Now Cabots cloth bound is in a whole other league and price point. The flavor and texture are noticeably more mature.

dragonsfire said:
Nice! yup I miss not being able to buy the Crystal Cheddar, was great on toast, the younger ones def used for melting :)

Is it the Ford Farms coastal cheddar with the blue packaging? Costco used to carry that one but mine does not. Trader Joes sells an English coastal cheddar pretty cheap too. I have not tried either of those yet.

This one is from Fresh Thyme market. At first it smelled somewhat "off", not in a bad way just kinda not right. That smell vanished by the next day. The flavor of this cheddar grew on me. Texture is about what you would expect from a 2 year old cheddar but the sharpness is about average. Not quite a extra sharp but still good. A tad salty to me but not bad....Like i said, it grew on me. Its no English cave aged but its more "complicated" than just a IN YO FACE sharp cheddar. There are even some crystals which the website calls salt but they "feel and taste" like calcium to me.

Mainland needs to offer a private reserve and find themselves a good cave. Considering the price point, this IS what you would expect from a reasonably good 2 year old cheddar. I think i gave around $5-$6 for a 7oz block.
7-oz.-Vintage-Cheddar_zpswpvgpyhl.jpg

I see you've changed your mind on that since you pointed out that my 2 year old cheddar didn't melt on my TD patty melt.
It's cool though. ;) :rofl:

When MELT is in the actual name, it has to be called out :rofl:

Should have called it a burger......... ;)

Back