•  

The 10th Annual Hot Pepper Awards Winners Announced!

Photo

Cutting the cheese

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#41 ShowMeDaSauce

ShowMeDaSauce

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 12:20 PM

All attempts to find Coastal locally have failed. I have even tried the specialty wine and cheese shops. I did put in a suggestion in the Costco box to bring it back. Mail order really isn't an option. Mainly due to cost of shipping and i don't want to get "addicted" to a product i must order online.

Sofar of the locally available stuff the Kerrygold Reserve is my favorite. Lots of places sell it and it is a really good cheddar at a very good price for an import.

Costco has the Tillamook extra sharp white cheddar 2yr but only in a 2lb block. Ive never tried it but the others i have tried were just ok. Nothing special stood out about them. Maybe when my supply gets low i will try it. Im sure its worth the cost but i keep hoping the "sample staff" will offer it first someday.

#1A Guest

• Pip
  • 1 post

#42 ShowMeDaSauce

ShowMeDaSauce

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 01:07 PM

I might have found it at Whole Foods although they might be stocking Barber's now instead. It appears they do stock the cave aged goat cheddar exported by Ford Farms. Traders Joes coastal might actually be a relabeled Ford Farms and its pretty cheap. It comes from Dorset England also.

Neither one is really close to me but close enough for when i want to treat myself.

Yep, Whole Foods has it. They call it Ford Farms Seaside and its about $13/lb

Edited by ShowMeDaSauce, 28 April 2017 - 01:16 PM.

#43 dragonsfire

dragonsfire

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 09:54 AM

Too bad its not available. Yesterday found Camembert in the store for the first time in some years, Castello, just grabbed one to see how it is. Need to make some fresh bread/crackers for it :)

Goat Cheddar would be great to try :) Ford Farms Seaside yup looks like the one.

#44 ShowMeDaSauce

ShowMeDaSauce

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 10:46 AM

I just hate to get locked into a product i love and i can only get it online. Im already in that trap with the Kilchurn cave aged. Insanely expensive once you include shipping. USDA Prime beef tenderloin is cheaper. :D

Fresh Thyme has a goat cheddar ive been tempted to try several times. BoarsHead has a 1000day old Canadian cheddar that looks interesting too. Sofar ive found the UK imports to be closer in flavor to what i really like in a cheddar. Cabots cloth bound though was really really good.

I prefer Camambert to Brie actually but i really need to be in the mood for either one. Usually i just cant eat it fast enough before it gets too "funky" for my tastes.

#45 dragonsfire

dragonsfire

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 11:03 AM

Imports are always the dregs of the Country, they never export the best :(

This the one you talking about, $19/lb

https://www.sidwaine...ve-aged-cheddar

Found this while searching, looks like it would be great to make.

http://ontariogoatch...ese-shortbread/

Yup Cheese needs to be paired to get the best taste out of it.Normally Wine, a good rye bread top of the list for me.

#46 ShowMeDaSauce

ShowMeDaSauce

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 11:10 AM

Yes thats the one from Kilchurn Estates. Its about perfect IMO. Costco had it in a gift set. You got 2 500gram blocks in the set for around $100 for over 10lbs of cheese. The others cheeses were very good but the cave aged cheddar was by far my favorite.

This is a steal if you like the selection of cheeses. https://www.costco.c....100047256.html

Your Price 99.99$
Price Per POUND: $9.76

Shipping & Handling included *

• Kilchurn Estate Wensleydale with Cranberries, 2.8 lb Half Wheel
  • Kilchurn Estate Red Leicester, 1/4 Wheel Cut, approximately 2 lbs.
  • Kilchurn Estate Stilton, 1/4 Wheel Cut, approximately 2.25 lbs.
  • Kilchurn Estate V Majestic Cheddars, 1/4 Wheel Cut, approximately 1.25 lbs.
  • Kilchurn Estate Krystal Pure Cave Aged Cheddar, 2 x 500 grams

Retail from Sid Wainer for that set is nearly $250 plus shipping.

https://www.sidwaine...heese-selection

Edited by ShowMeDaSauce, 29 April 2017 - 11:18 AM.

#47 dragonsfire

dragonsfire

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 11:22 AM

Not available on the Ca Costco :(

#48 ShowMeDaSauce

ShowMeDaSauce

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 04:31 PM

Well i finally caved in while at Costco today. My supply of cheddar is running low and that damn Tillamook  extra sharp white 2yr was there taunting me. How i dreaded the thought of taking home 2lbs of cheese that might be no better than Kirklands. Well, at about $10.80 for 2lbs its hard to not give it a chance,

I have to say it was the best sub $6lb i ever spent on a cheddar!!! While not as sharp as the Cabots Seriously Sharp its a noticeably better cheddar. Texture feels slightly younger than a 2yr but there is no doubt its mature. No rubber cheese in this block just nice crumbly cheddar. I just ate a turkey sandwich before trying it so i will need to return to it again. I had a piece with half of a apple pear which was a bit mild to match up with a sharp cheddar.

If i had to say one bad thing about it....it would be its not very nutty to me. IMO though that would be overly critical for a cheese at this price point. Its DELICIOUS!!

Edited by ShowMeDaSauce, 19 May 2017 - 04:32 PM.

#49 JoynersHotPeppers

JoynersHotPeppers

On Fire!

• Extreme Biz
  • 17,491 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 05:18 PM

I heart Costco and the cheese they pedal 

heatmadesimple.com

Instagram and Twitter @JoynerHotPepper

#50 ShowMeDaSauce

ShowMeDaSauce

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 12:51 PM

I picked up a small sample of Heartland Mark Twain edition cave aged goat cheddar. This cheese is really damn expensive btw at around $20/lb or roughly the same price as Cabots Cloth Bound or Grand Cru Surchoix

Well i had high hopes for this one and its quite tasty but this is one confused "cheddar". It tasted much closer to a cave aged Gruyere to me and one that was far far too young to be sold. After some research i found out why. It was only aged in the Mark Twain cave for 31 days and it shows. I had to do some digging just find out how long it was aged. Everything about this cheese screams leave me the hell alone for another 15 months. As a young "alpine" cheddar it is quite good although rather mild for my tastes. Texture was more like a damp Parmesan or Kaltbach. That is about the only way i can describe it. Almost gritty vs crumbly.

Goat-Cheddar.png

Edited by ShowMeDaSauce, 28 May 2017 - 12:56 PM.

#51 dragonsfire

dragonsfire

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 11:40 PM

$44/kg thats a bit much. 31 days, barely a sniff for aging. At least it tasted good :)

Thanks!

#52 ShowMeDaSauce

ShowMeDaSauce

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 08:52 AM

Its was good but at that price point ive had much better. The Grand Cru Surchoix is fantastic and so is the Cabots Cloth Bound. To be fair this is my first goat "cheddar" so im very unfamiliar with the usual flavor. On the next trip to Fresh Thyme Market i will grab a small block of the goat cheddar they sell. I dont think it was cave aged but it was nowhere near $20/lb either.

#53 ShowMeDaSauce

ShowMeDaSauce

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 01:25 PM

What an interesting Irish cheddar except for i cant find a reference to it. The only Kildery mentioned on Jerrygold's site is for a Swiss type for the German market and this is not a Swiss or even remotely close.

P3M9n2E.jpg

This is a young cheddar as far as texture goes but the flavor is quite bold. SUPER creamy too. Sharp is the main thing that comes across and what a cheddar burger this would make. Best of both worlds, sharp and "melty". I will need to taste it again later. I had a bite of a 7 Pot and a chimi with some hot sauce so my palette is a bit off atm.

#54 dragonsfire

dragonsfire

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 02:25 PM

Might be a specific export cheese.

http://www.kerrygoldusa.com/products/

#55 ShowMeDaSauce

ShowMeDaSauce

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 03:28 PM

Walmart had it. I like the Reserve Cheddar 2yr much better but i do prefer well aged cheddar. This is almost like a cross between a German butter cheese or Havarti and a sharp cheddar.

#56 ShowMeDaSauce

ShowMeDaSauce

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 04:31 PM

I dont know how the Brits do it but even the cheaper (for export) cheddars have been surprisingly good. The Excalibur Vintage 12 month is no exception. Sharp, nutty and creamy....and CRUMBLY!!! A absolute delight at around $6-7 for 200grams. This 12month old cheddar would rival many older domestic cheddars on all levels.

1859.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests