• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Can't keep a flower to save my life

So I have 6 flowering peppers at the moment, all of them seem healthy and happy with their environment. Its been about 85 during the day and 65 at night, about 6 hours of direct sunlight, they aren't over or under-watered, and I only give them a fish/seaweed fertilizer every couple weeks. The only thing I can think of is that the humidity might be too low, varies between 15 and 30% (I live in the desert). If humidity is the problem, is there anyway I can solve it other than putting them in a greenhouse? Any one else out there had success in a hot desert climate? I'd appreciate any input.

afbb12 said:
So I have 6 flowering peppers at the moment, all of them seem healthy and happy with their environment. Its been about 85 during the day and 65 at night, about 6 hours of direct sunlight, they aren't over or under-watered, and I only give them a fish/seaweed fertilizer every couple weeks. The only thing I can think of is that the humidity might be too low, varies between 15 and 30% (I live in the desert). If humidity is the problem, is there anyway I can solve it other than putting them in a greenhouse? Any one else out there had success in a hot desert climate? I'd appreciate any input.

15-30% would be a definite issue. Unless you can change the climate of AZ you'll have to go to the green house. Or wait till seasonal changes that may produce more favorable conditions it that is at all feasible.

We have several members in AZ, I am certain they will have better input or advise to add.

afbb12 said:
How long they been flowering ?
:welcome: !

They have been flowering off and on all winter, they were under lights until about 3 weeks ago. I didn't expect fruit to set under those lights though, just thought something would have changed by now outside in the nice weather.

I live in a high altitude desert. Below freezing in the Winter and 90-100's in the Summer.

In my experience, I don't get any pods until September or October. I grew up in San Diego and could start outside in February and get produce early Summer and late Fall. Here is a different story.

Going from inside to harsh outside though, will drop flowers. I don't even pick the flowers anymore. They'll drop on their own a couple times. I also harden them off in the shade for a few weeks. To much stress going from artificial light to intense Sun.

As far as humidity goes. I spray the ground and fence surrounding my plants well before dark. You don't want to do it to early or any water in plants will magnify and burn spots on the leaves. To late and you might end up with some fungus problems.

Also I've found that growing my plants in partial shade helps more than full sun all day. Chinese varieties.

Welcome and good luck.

afbb12 said:
They have been flowering off and on all winter, they were under lights until about 3 weeks ago. I didn't expect fruit to set under those lights though, just thought something would have changed by now outside in the nice weather.
+1 on what Geonard said , thats  why i asked  what i did .   Their just not at that cycle yet .  My plants will drop flowers for a few weeks than   BOOM !       :party:

Here in Tucson I get a wave of flowers and pods set in April.  By late May the insane heat stops most of the blooms, but the pods generally continue to ripen.

Some plants do continue to produce over the summer - get a "Bonnie" "Dragon Cayenne" from the local Big Box - they are unstoppable!  Some Bacatum also do well, as do a few of the New Mex variants.

In late August or early September, when the monsoon brings cooler temps and more humidity, the things go berserk.  The early pods ripen by late Sept, and I'm munching 'till Thanksgiving or even Christmas if we don't get an early hard freeze.  (Last year's Slow-Pokes, my Aji Amarillo pods, are only _now_ finished ripening.  I picked the last pods today.)  

Your plants will continue to flower later, and start back up earlier, if you provide some mid-day and afternoon shade.  Full AZ heat is, IMO, quite stressful on the plants.

Flower drop probable causes:

1. Day temp too high >95F
2. Night temp too low <65F or too high >85F
3. Too much nitrogen fertilizer
4. Too much water
5. Low light levels (reduces fertility).
6. Very low humidity (reduces fertility)
7. Poor air circulation (air circulation contributes to pollination).
8. Lack of pollinating insects.
9. Size of pot
10. Too much mineral in feedwater.
11. Too much grower attention/anxiety.

Back