• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Trippaul Threat (PdN x BMJ) Community Grow

This is a dedicated grow log for Tristen's awesome cross, which I
have been growing out since 2014.  I'll start with a bit of history and
some photos documenting what's happened so far.

In January of 2014, Tristen (Trippa) sent me a little care package of seeds.
In the package were two generations of a cross he had made, which he just 
called 'Mystery Cross, F1' and 'Mystery Cross, F2'.  

Here's Trippa's Mystery Cross seedlings in February of 2014:
_DSC1203a_zpscfa08c86.jpg

_DSC1215a_zps824b6b30.jpg

Both generations showing the purple foliage characteristic since the beginning.

Up close look at Trippa's Mystery Crosses, F1 and F2.  Both culled to a single
plant after the photo taken, so I only had one plant of each generation:
_DSC1256a_zps34e3c6e6.jpg

One of my favourite tasting peppers in Bonda ma jaques, so watching this keenly Paul, lovely markings on the foliage and great looking plants , well played on growing it out for Trippa , would you say its near to stable now , are you getting consistent pheno pods and colour ?

Great work keep it up.

Hey Charles thanks for stopping by - the pic you posted
were  the late season immature pods from this past season.  
The ripe pods tend to light ivoryand white color after spending
the summer as dark purple.  

More past history pics to come,,,

Superhot Sim said:
One of my favourite tasting peppers in Bonda ma jaques, so watching this keenly Paul, lovely markings on the foliage and great looking plants , well played on growing it out for Trippa , would you say its near to stable now , are you getting consistent pheno pods and colour ?

Great work keep it up.
This is a real hottie, at least to me.  A few thin slices
of a pod will heat up and flavor a bowl of soup or chili.

It is very near stable, sim - the last three gens (F3,4,5)
have been purple foliage with white pods.  this Plant looks
very similar so far.  The F3 put out some green plants, but
I didn't grow them out.

Nice work Paul!! Credit to your great growing work !

My particular reasons for the initial cross were driven both by aesthetics and the production/vigour of the parent plants.
My Bonda ma Jacques strain which I grew for 2 seasons was healthy but set fewer pods then I wanted and was prone to broad mites once the season became hotter but I loved the taste and heat level of the pods.
The Pimenta De Neyde strain I had also been growing for 2 seasons showed prolific podding in the heat , was a tall deep purple plant with quite stretched internodal spacing which never once got hit with broadmites when almost all other plants around it did. It also had a unique perfume and great heat to the pods which I thought would couple well with the Bonda's fruity heat.

The aesthetic I was aiming for initially was a deep purple plant with bright yellow pods. Maybe that pheno is still to be found (or it may not be possible I don't know enough about colour variant genetics in Capsicum species to answer that??)
Regardless the strain that Paul selected and sent me seeds back from for the F3s was better then I could have hoped for both aesthetically and with growth habit and vigour. They also overwinter amazingly well.
I have multiple f3s and f5s currently growing (from Pauls f5 seed stock) and the f5s are such a great looking plant.

Kudos goes to Paul for selecting and growing this strain into something better then the original idea I had.

Purple plants with white pods, awesome production and great heat!!!

Hats off to Paul!!

54bc423fa5979ac237e9c417ac65b6fb.jpg

Original PDN plant used for cross is the tall lanky purple plant on the bottom right

09750fd829af4e6d4271517fad230a68.jpg

Original Bonda ma Jacques plant used for cross pod

7475c9e0c3af4fe5f380152e1c741b80.jpg

Original PDN plant used for cross pod

Superhot Sim said:
Where else are they growing Tristan ? Be interesting to see what other climates produce.
Currently I am growing them here in New Zealand and Paul in the Pacific NW of the USA (Paul has 3 plants at f5 I believe and I have 4 ) ... They were originally crossed in the Gold Coast of Australia when I lived there.

Trippa said:
Also as Paul said the f3s throw to both green plants and purple plants ... I will likely grow out a green plant to see what becomes of it as a side project. The f5s all look identical so far (out of a total of 7 plants currently growing worldwide :D )
I'll try to find a pic of the intermediate stage F1, F2 plants.
Superhot Sim said:
Where else are they growing Tristan ? Be interesting to see what other climates produce.

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk
Trippa said:
Currently I am growing them here in New Zealand and Paul in the Pacific NW of the USA (Paul has 3 plants at f5 I believe and I have 4 ) ... They were originally crossed in the Gold Coast of Australia when I lived there.
I think we are looking to expand the list of growers who would
like to help Tristen out with the F6, F7 grow, as well as he and I.

Here are the F1 pods:
DSCN0432a_zps26324549.jpg

The F2 pods.  The newer pods are pointy like the F1's, so it looks like only these early pods are blunt.  
But check out the color    :shocked:     Now are there any guesses as to what Tristen's mystery cross is?
DSCN0430a_zps6063d7e3.jpg

PaulG said:
I'll try to find a pic of the intermediate stage F1, F2 plants.
I think we are looking to expand the list of growers who would
like to help Tristen out with the F6, F7 grow, as well as he and I.
Well, y'all should definitely let us know after the end of the season...I, and I'm sure many other members, would love to grow some out. Seems like an interesting pepper

OCD Chilehead said:
Thanks for all the info you two. A great glog. I admire the group effort. Very cool! If down the line, you want me to pitch in on this experiment, count me in. I'd be glad to document, isolate and send back seeds and pods. Can't wait to see how this goes.
Here's hoping we have plenty of f6 seed to share in a few months time!
Paul has certainly put the time in with this ... If it wasn't for him I wouldn't have got anywhere near this stage now or maybe ever!!

Great info from both of you and a very interesting pepper indeed, when i see the f1 pod then the f2 that nice bright yellow my first thought was its reverted back to the original BMJ , now the later generations start purple and ripen to a cream colour ? the beauty of pepper genetics , i like the sound of Trippas vision an nice dark green/purple plant with bright yellow elongated pointed pods...

Be great to help out both of you and see the f6/f7 grown all over the globe ,same as what Gary did in the memory grow of the P.Dreadie select.  :party: :clap:

OCD Chilehead said:
Thanks for all the info you two. A great glog. I admire the group effort. Very cool! If down the line, you want me to pitch in on this experiment, count me in. I'd be glad to document, isolate and send back seeds and pods. Can't wait to see how this goes.
Could be great fun, Charles! 
Trippa said:
Yeah as Paul said we will be looking for a handful of growers both southern and northern hemisphere from here to keep the strain growing from f6 onwards towards 99.9% homozygous seeds at f9 and beyond ...
Jubnat said:
Well, y'all should definitely let us know after the end of the season...I, and I'm sure many other members, would love to grow some out. Seems like an interesting pepper
Absolutely, we'll keep posting info on this thread.
I have had great fun growing it out so far.
Trippa said:
Here's hoping we have plenty of f6 seed to share in a few months time!
Paul has certainly put the time in with this ... If it wasn't for him I wouldn't have got anywhere near this stage now or maybe ever!!
It's been a fun project, Tristen, the least I can do for
all the awesome seed you have sent my way, brother.

+1 for a bountiful harvest.  I'm thinking of growing the
two cutting plants in three gallon pots with an eye to
OW or at least prolong season for them in the greenhouse.
I'd also like to get an F6 going in late Fall for OW and earlier
Summer harvest from the first good F5 pods
Superhot Sim said:
Great info from both of you and a very interesting pepper indeed, when i see the f1 pod then the f2 that nice bright yellow my first thought was its reverted back to the original BMJ , now the later generations start purple and ripen to a cream color ?  That's right, Sim.  As I get time, I'll put up pics of the pods/plants through the seasons  the beauty of pepper genetics , i like the sound of Trippas vision an nice dark green/purple plant with bright yellow elongated pointed pods... It could still happen, if Trippa still has some F2 seed to sow.  Grow out enough and you might find a strain that stays yellow.

Be great to help out both of you and see the f6/f7 grown all over the globe ,same as what Gary did in the memory grow of the P.Dreadie select.  :party: :clap:
That's the scene we are hoping for, I think.  It has been true
for a few generations, so my hopes are high, but who knows?

My hope is this thread can become sort of a permanent grow log 
documenting the progress of the cross for at least a few
seasons.  Gotta have something to look forward to   ;)

Here's a pic of the F1 and F2 plants in late summer, 2014.
Hard to see, but the longest branches on these are as tall at the Star Jasmine vine they are in front of:
DSCN0642a_zps695e0c95.jpg

These are large,robust plants.  Longer branches at 5' or more.:
DSCN0689a_zps27878d5c.jpg

DSCN0706a_zps5efc5073.jpg

Superhot Sim said:
Paul have you got pod colour pics over the last few seasons to have a look how the colouration has changed over the different generations.  
Looking for them as we speak, Sim.  Hope I will be
caught up to this season by tomorrow or next day.  

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

Back