• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

greenhouse Heat source for small greenhouse

Sizzle Lips

Extreme Member
I just bought this exact same portable greenhouse for when my plants go outside to get hardened off.....they will be out halfway through April.... because i will no longer have enough space inside......what could I use for a heat source at night when I know the temperature might get down low....and then shut off when I go to work in the morning.
bringing in plants every night like I used to is not an option anymore....during the day is not a problem because the sun will heat it up....would a heat lamp work.....I just really dont want it lit up at nite......not sure what to do ....but I know that you pepper people can come up with some pretty inventive ideas.....I know they sell black heat bulbs for things like lizards and turtles ...just dont know if its warm enough.....here is the exact measurements.......78"H X 56"W X 30"D.......any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Outsunny greenhouse.JPG

Chilidude said:
I think a small paraffin greenhouse heater in the middle would work quite good.

I had to google what a Paraffin heater is....a small one would be ideal....but these are all out of the u.k.......been trying to find links to anyone in Canada or the U.S. that sells this....not easy to find...something like this would be ideal I think for such a small space.

tiny-paraffin-heater.jpg

Hey all great suggestions.....do you guys think something like this would work. to keep them warm on cool nights......

150 watt heat.JPG

light hood.JPG

Or maybe even go with a 250 watt infrared bulb........I really dont know how much heat these black ceramic emitters throw....but it is a small area to heat

This is not something I am going to use year round....this is something I assemble about 4 weeks before planting out....to harden off and because I run out of space under my lights.....some days the temp may drop at night or chance of frost....I want to keep it warm at night and the sun will do the rest during the day.....once I plant out I disassemble it and put it away.....I may just go with a small ceramic heater and turn it on low when the forecast predicts a drop at night.

I really like the small paraffin heaters but they do not sell them here....and  I dont think shipping one from the U.K. is cheap and I would have to get the fuel shipped as well.......what I spend on shipping will pay the electricity for a small ceramic heater....one thing about the paraffin heater is they output CO2 which plants like.

I was just thinking of doing the same thing...buying a greenhouse and using that to harden off my plants this year.  I figure if I put it out mid April like you intend to, I should be ok.  If there's the odd night below freezing, I'll just put them in the garage (all 58 of them).  I started mine a month and a half too early in hindsight.  Curious to see what the best solution here is as I have wondered the same question when it comes to heating it at night.  Best of luck.

BSH said:
I was just thinking of doing the same thing...buying a greenhouse and using that to harden off my plants this year.  I figure if I put it out mid April like you intend to, I should be ok.  If there's the odd night below freezing, I'll just put them in the garage (all 58 of them).  I started mine a month and a half too early in hindsight.  Curious to see what the best solution here is as I have wondered the same question when it comes to heating it at night.  Best of luck.

I started mine a little bit early ....but in another week or so I start topping my plants.....In find that the stocks toughen up and the plants bush out and the second generation leaves are not as sensitive to the elements when I start my hardening off process.
I think I am just going to try the black ceramic emitter in a hood to see how warm it will get....its fairly cheap.....if that does not work I will put a small ceramic heater with a thermostat in it.

This is why I love this Pepper Community....someone is always around with the right answers,and a solution to most problems.....love how The Hot Pepper has helped me out.

Back