• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Transplant

I have some Thai hybrids that are getting tall. I was wondering when I should put in a bigger pot.
6f3cb7eee5f1d6fe3879f1a2f4485784.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Ideally plant it in the biggest container you intend to grow it in.  Transplanting is stressful and best avoided if possible, the plant won't out grow your light just because it's in a bigger container.  Also narrow containers fool plants into thinking they're surrounded by other plants which causes them to stretch. Once planted however you'll need to wait until there's sufficient root growth that they don't just tear apart when you transplant.   That plant is clearly to small for transplant, when it can stand up on its own without tipping over like that you can think about it  but ideally wait till roots pop out the bottom, there are holes in the bottom of that cup right?  Move your light closer.

I find peppers don't really like being repotted, no matter how careful you are. Personally, I wait till just before they're getting root-bound.
I would give that more time, plenty of room for it. But that's just me.

It is looking a little leggy though, as MW said, so perhaps get it some more light.

mikeyd1016 said:
I have some Thai hybrids that are getting tall. I was wondering when I should put in a bigger pot.

It depends on how do you take care of your pepper plant.  I will repot when it reach 2 feet tall.

i use only 3oz cup.

33596446286_4185bbec4c_b.jpg

I did an experiment and had one C. Annum in a solo cup and the other in a 40L bucket
The one in the bigger pot vastly outgrew the one in the solo cup. I transplanted them at the first set of true leaves

I'd like to learn more about getting faster growth with smaller pot

If you are planting in the same type of media that you started seeds in, your transplant shock will be so minimal, as to be unnoticed.  If your media in the bigger pot is different, you can have issues - especially if there is a PH difference from one to the other.  But all in all, transplants are very seldom catastrophic, even if you manage to damage roots in the process.  Peppers are tough as hell.
On the subject of growing in small containers - the plants will grow tall in small pots, but they will not gain considerable girth on the stems, and as mentioned, they will grow long and leggy.  The drip line of the plant is a function of the root diameter, vs depth.
I find that sometimes it's easier to grow a lot of small plants, than several big ones. (especially from a pest control standpoint)  I grew a whole load of plants in 1 and 2.5 gallon pots last season, and bottom watered them in drywall mixing tubs.  My results were outstanding.
31084435336_fbd8047d1c_z.jpg

31120690925_3e0c074208_z.jpg

At first glance, they don't look spectacular - but each plant produced dozens of pods, over the course of a season.  The small plant pods matured quicker than my other plants, and because I was able to so effectively manage pests easier, with less foliage, the pods were picture perfect. 

solid7 said:
If you are planting in the same type of media that you started seeds in, your transplant shock will be so minimal, as to be unnoticed.  If your media in the bigger pot is different, you can have issues - especially if there is a PH difference from one to the other.  But all in all, transplants are very seldom catastrophic, even if you manage to damage roots in the process.  Peppers are tough as hell.
On the subject of growing in small containers - the plants will grow tall in small pots, but they will not gain considerable girth on the stems, and as mentioned, they will grow long and leggy.  The drip line of the plant is a function of the root diameter, vs depth.
I find that sometimes it's easier to grow a lot of small plants, than several big ones. (especially from a pest control standpoint)  I grew a whole load of plants in 1 and 2.5 gallon pots last season, and bottom watered them in drywall mixing tubs.  My results were outstanding.

This is good info.  I did not know that stuff about the plants in the small pots.  That now is making sense to me.  Last season, aside from lighting issues, my larger plants that were in small pots would not get girth after a certain point and eventually would topple over or would need to be propped up in the pot and it wasn't a good thing.  Guess I need to invest in some larger pots...  I was hoping to keep them in the small pots and just plant in the ground eventually but that now doesn't seem like the best idea..

bpiela said:

I was hoping to keep them in the small pots and just plant in the ground eventually but that now doesn't seem like the best idea..

I dunno...  a season in the ground, decide what you like, and overwinter what you want to grow again, sounds like a great idea.
The nice thing about overwintering, is that you can trim back a beefier plant, to a smaller pot.  It will self-restrict its growth, until you put it back in the ground.  Then, when you plant out again, it's go time...  No seedling to dick around with. (I don't like babies of any variety)

Back