• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Severe deformation on Habanero plants

bad link. 

in gphotos click the photo. then in top left click the share icon. then click get link, post that link

here is your picture
uJesQpP.png

welcome from Quebec

Wow those are some weird leaves. Makes me think of some kind of kale. Could it be some kind of mutation a la Candlelight? I would love to know if it produces normal fruit. Hang on to it, for science!

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Is that even a pepper plant?

Haha yes these were grown from a very strong habanero plant that I still have from last season.  I've looked both plants over from top to bottom and see nothing abnormal in terms of bugs.  Would these be too small to see with the naked eye?  Why wouldn't my two Savina's have the same symptoms, since they've been adjacent to these two guys during the past several months?

bedrichards said:
Haha yes these were grown from a very strong habanero plant that I still have from last season.  I've looked both plants over from top to bottom and see nothing abnormal in terms of bugs.  Would these be too small to see with the naked eye?  Why wouldn't my two Savina's have the same symptoms, since they've been adjacent to these two guys during the past several months?

Assuming that it's a mite problem, yes they may be too small.  Especially if they are broad mites.  Mites have a tendency to feed seasonally, before going dormant.  They can even move before you start to notice the damage.  But wherever they've been, they'll be back, eventually, and will spread all around.
It's really odd that all of the leaves look like that.  Usually, an insect infestation shows in local areas, and if it's severe, will stop the growth. 
Did the leaves on that plant EVER look normal?

The plants always had this look since right after they came out of the germination tray.  I just figured they would grow out of it, but they have not.  

It's very doubtful that it's mites, then.  Mites would have surely killed a small plant.
You should still look at it under a microscope, if you're interested in knowing, for the sake of curiosity. Otherwise, it's probably best to cull this one.

Either too much fertilizer or herbicide damage. I've had both scenarios produce plants that looked exactly the same.
Herbicide damage, specifically 24D tends to make newer leaves curl, be much smaller and look deformed.

Remember herbicide can come from a variety of sources:
  • applicator drift. 24D-like chemicals can travel a 1/4 mile with minimal wind, effecting all broadleaf plants with [tiny] ppm exposure
  • compost (herbicide used on grass clippings for example) then put in compost
  • manure, animals eat hay or green foliage that has been treated with Tordon
  • any Tordon-like chemical applied to soil, composted or passed through an animal can last up to 7 yrs
  • I believe there is still a class action law suit against DOW chemical re: the above point

2,4-D.  Damn, that's a term that I haven't used in the 20 years since I left the farm in Nebraska. (seriously, I'm a Nebraska farm kid)

Back