• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

lighting Lighting Help

Hey all I am new to growing and the forum this is my first season. I have a few different varieties of peppers (Carolina Reaper, Bhut, 7 Pot, etc) in the sprouting stage right now. I plan to have about 7-10 plants growing with this setup. I'm using a heating mat and just the window light they get right now since I live in NJ I am just planning to do a full indoor grow. My question is I am wondering what is most cost effective/productive friendly as far as lights go. I am currently looking into a T5 4ft 8 light setup I just wasn't sure if I can get all the way to the fruiting stage with these lights or if there is a better option for the same price range like LED, HPS, HID, etc. I am looking to spend around $100-$200 on lights any help would be great. 

Thanks

Welcome to the forum!

You can get to fruiting with both T5HO and MH/HPS. I'm sure the right LED setup will get you there also. I might leave one or 2 plants under my T8 setup this year and see if they set proper fruit, or if it ends up being small fruit due to not enough light.

Good luck to you!

U)<now said:
Welcome to the forum!

You can get to fruiting with both T5HO and MH/HPS. I'm sure the right LED setup will get you there also. I might leave one or 2 plants under my T8 setup this year and see if they set proper fruit, or if it ends up being small fruit due to not enough light.

Good luck to you!

Thanks, yes that was my worry wasn't sure if they would come out super small or what. Also I'm new to most lighting so wasn't sure if an LED or MH/HPS would be a better option for a close price range. If the HPS/MH or LED would produce a much better result and is a bit more money I would spring for that. If anyone has any experience with those for full indoor grows?

I don't, but others on here do. Some prefer T5HO and some like MH/HPS. Both seem to get good results.

As far as LED goes, most will reccomend you go the DIY COB route. There are a few good threads on them in the grow tech sub-forum.

Malarky said:
Welcome! I would use the sun for at least half the year. :party:

Thanks! I probably will plan on bringing them outside once they get a bit bigger but from what I've heard of Reapers and many other super hots can take 120+ days to produce pods if not more I could be wrong? So I just wanted to have a setup that I can do fully indoor (to start plants and grow over the colder months etc).

I'm putting myself in a mindset of a 2 year grow.
Year 1: grow a robust plant and if I get some pods awesome.( and you probably will if you start early)
Cut them back and overwinter them in survival mode.
Year 2: plant out survivor and have a huge head start on the season.

Good luck!

Edit: I don't think you'll be able to support 10 mature plants with that light. Just a guess though.

Right I realistically will probably only have one of each plant so maybe like 5-6 total but wouldn't mind if I could get away with a few more with a T5HO setup.

Back