• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

General Advice For Growing Wanted!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abU9pzE1V64

(or afternoon/night)

This is a bit of forward planning, as I am looking into my next season, starting late July/early August. I'm looking at growing 20(ish) plants at this stage, might be more, doubt it will be less.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice on the following:

1) Starting in the later months of Winter. 
        What kind of lighting, heating, etc would be required? Any advice on starting plants early?
2) Growing numerous plants
        I know that some people grow 100+ plants, but I've never grown more than 10 at a time. What kind of work is involved? I'm looking at growing mostly in pots, but some plants in raised beds.
3) Greenhousing 
        Best methods of housing plants cheaply, pretty self explanatory
4) Varieties to Grow
        I already have a rough idea of some varieties that I'd like to grow, but I'd like to hear any "must-grow" varieties that people have - the sky's the limit!
5) Any extra tips, words of wisdom, things to avoid, etc - I want to hear any thing you have!

I know that most of the stuff above can be answered elsewhere on the forum one way or another, but I think it would be good for everyone to have a collection of various growing tips all in one spot, and to hear some things that we may not have heard for a while, if at all!

If you have any questions or would like to know more, ask away!

Thanks in advance and happy growing!  :party:

You really dont need any special lights or heating anything, being in Sydney.
I guess you would have similar weather to me, maybe even a little warmer.

You can sprout seeds in the winter by placing your pellets or whatever you in a warm place. Hot water cupboard, on top of modem / TV box. Electronics that are on 24/7.
once sprouted they will do ok in a sunny windowsill till it warms up and spring comes along.

If your wanting to get some help to speed things along (lights, heating etc) then that's all good as well. Its a hobby after all :) Its just not a requirement where you are. (or where I am)

I start mine in the middle of winter in the hot water cupboard. Then they move onto a windowsill once there are signs of life. Iv got a heatmat and some (small) lights. I dont bother with them.

I couldn't agree more with what has already been said.

As nzchili has already pointed out, you can germinate your seeds early on anything warm. Ive personally used a modem laying on its back many times with great results. Remember to cover the baggies with a tea towel to keep the warmth in.

Any north facing window will provide enough light to keep your plants happy. Just remember to rotate them as they'll always lean towards the direction of the light.

I'd also start a bit earlier, I'll be starting early July next season. Extra time for any setbacks is always a bonus if you have it.

Start a glog of your own and post any issues, someone will always try to help with any issues you may have.

Best of luck,

SR.

Scoville DeVille said:
Pick a couple of Gloggers here to follow (in the GLOG section). From sewing seeds, heat mats, lighting, seedlings, hardening off etc, folks here post there systems complete with pictures. Right now it's happening in the Northern hemisphere and these folks know their stuff.
My 2¢.
Edit: here is the link to the GLOG section: http://thehotpepper.com/forum/27-glogs/

Thanks, I have been and will continue to keep my eyes feasting on the glogs!

nzchili said:
You really dont need any special lights or heating anything, being in Sydney.
I guess you would have similar weather to me, maybe even a little warmer.

You can sprout seeds in the winter by placing your pellets or whatever you in a warm place. Hot water cupboard, on top of modem / TV box. Electronics that are on 24/7.
once sprouted they will do ok in a sunny windowsill till it warms up and spring comes along.

If your wanting to get some help to speed things along (lights, heating etc) then that's all good as well. Its a hobby after all :) Its just not a requirement where you are. (or where I am)

I start mine in the middle of winter in the hot water cupboard. Then they move onto a windowsill once there are signs of life. Iv got a heatmat and some (small) lights. I dont bother with them.

What is your average max&min for June/July/August? Mine is 14&7/13&6/14&7. I'm not sure how that compares with others in term of what heating and lighting I need, but indoors it remains above 15 99% of the time.

Shorerider said:
I couldn't agree more with what has already been said.
As nzchili has already pointed out, you can germinate your seeds early on anything warm. Ive personally used a modem laying on its back many times with great results. Remember to cover the baggies with a tea towel to keep the warmth in.
Any north facing window will provide enough light to keep your plants happy. Just remember to rotate them as they'll always lean towards the direction of the light.
I'd also start a bit earlier, I'll be starting early July next season. Extra time for any setbacks is always a bonus if you have it.
Start a glog of your own and post any issues, someone will always try to help with any issues you may have.
Best of luck,
SR.
Thanks for the advice - I'm looking at starting a glog as we get closer to sowing time.

Im not sure what the averages are.
It will get down to 1 or 2 deg C overnight though, and maybe go up to a max of 10deg C during the day.

Plants wont grow fast but they will still grow slowly, indoors on a windowsill, with no extra heating. 

Back