• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Space Chillies, worth growing?

What are your thoughts on space chillies?  I um under the impression that 10 varieties have been released.  Which are the most productive?  Which are the tastiest?  Are they worth growing other than as a novelty?

This year I grew Hangjiao #5 Helix Nebula.  They were reasonably productive and not very hot.  I wasn't unhappy with them, but they weren't terribly memorable in any way, so I thought I would ask here.

General consensus from reviewers seems to have been that most of the varieties had that apple peel style fruitiness to them and a good deal of sweetness, making for great salad or stir fry peppers with a little uniqueness in how they grow.
I can't​ give my own verdict though due to lack of growing space and having only discovered them at the end of last season.

I can't say that mine were overly sweet, they were quite crunchy.  They grew plenty of large chillies that work well in a stir fry.  My kids like them, but I think that is mostly because they are 'space chillies'.

Back