• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Indoor tomato plants being weird

Hello everyone,

I've successfully grown tomatoes indoors for outdoor transplant, and this year I got a late jump because my potting mix for the first round was garbage. I've managed to grow the plants nice and large, almost ready for transplant, but my Super Fantastic variety is giving me trouble. Check it out:

B01VkLW.jpg

And here are the closeups of the culprits:

cy8q7HV.jpg

nIyeExM.jpg

Any thoughts? Their neighbors are looking sweet. These, not so much.

moruga welder said:
looking like they might need watered ,     :party:

They're plenty watered - all the plants get the same watering, and the soil is wet and the pot is heavy.

moruga welder said:
looking like they might need watered ,     :party:

Coup said:
They're plenty watered - all the plants get the same watering, and the soil is wet and the pot is heavy.

Actually, I'm thinking the opposite of #1. (especially based on #2)
From http://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgic/hot_topics/2008/05tomato_leaf_roll.html

The Article said:
Curling or rolling of tomato leaves can be caused by various factors including environmental stresses, viral infection and herbicide damage. To determine which factor is the culprit, it pays to take a close look at the plant(s). Which leaves are rolling old leaves, new leaves, all leaves? What direction do the leaves roll upward or downward? Are any other parts of the plant, including fruit, exhibiting symptoms?
Physiological Leaf Roll: Excessive moisture and nitrogen, heat, drought, severe pruning, root damage and transplant shock are some of the environmental factors that can cause physiological leaf roll in tomatoes. Initial symptoms are usually apparent in the lower leaves with an upward cupping of leaflets followed by an inward lengthwise rolling of the leaflets toward the mid-vein. The affected leaves tend to become thickened and have a leathery texture, but retain a normal, healthy green color. Over time all of the leaves on the plant may be affected.

moruga welder said:
the reason i say that is the medium is shrunk away from the pot . kinda like soil does around concrete when its extremely dry . but hey who knows ,  might be the medium itself a little more perlite ,   :party:
Yeah, I thought that's what I saw, too. But he/she said the media was wet and heavy.
In either case, I'd say that it boils down to one of those 2 things.
OP - are you bottom watering all of the time? Or are you top watering? Mixture of both?

It's probably mites of some type.  Ill bet if you use a magnifier you'll see the little bastards or at least webbing.  mites tend to hide under the leaves

solid7 said:
Yeah, I thought that's what I saw, too. But he/she said the media was wet and heavy.
In either case, I'd say that it boils down to one of those 2 things.
OP - are you bottom watering all of the time? Or are you top watering? Mixture of both?

Bottom-watering these puppies - I probably have fungus gnats in my grow setup so I am working on getting those taken care of. I think they have too much water, though - it's the only thing I can think of.

Back