• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Flowers falling off

Hello,

I've got a question about flowers/fruiting for our hot pepper growing community.

I've got 4 groups of various hot pepper varieties growing in my basement, each group with different germination dates.  The oldest of the 4 groups has now been flowering for a little while.  On my regular "red cayenne" plants, all of the flowers are turning into peppers, but it's a different story for my orange habanero plants.  

On the Habaneros, a few of the flowers are actually becoming pepper fruits, but most of them seem to be falling off once they fully open up and the tiny green pepper begins emerging.  This happens at a rate of 4-6 flowers falling per day per plant.  This is happening even though they're under the same growing conditions as the red cayennes which aren't dealing with this problem. My Scorpions/Reapers/Chocolate Habs/Ghosts are further behind and aren't flowering just yet.

Here are some specifics to my growing environment:

- 12 hours of light per day (on timer)
- 8 bulb grow light fixture (4 bulbs 6500K 4 bulbs 2700K), also 1 big 6500K CFL bulb (see photo)
- Regular fertilized cycle: 1 week fish emulsion, 1 week CalMag (all to specs on bottles), occasional MiracleGro mixed in every third week.
- Sown in Miracle Gro potting soil.
- Most plants were "topped" in their earlier stages, and are now growing 3-4 main branches.
- I run a regular household fan on them all for 2 hours a day (medium setting to simulate light breeze)

Here is a photo to show the health of one of the orange habanero plants in an 8 inch pot.  The three flowers at the bottom fell off recently.  In my eye, the plant looks healthy, nice and green with lots of flowers, but maybe someone out there can spot something I cannot.  I'm really hoping someone can help me identify and remedy the problem of the flowers falling off.

IMG_4528hotpepper1.jpg

Here is a photo of my growing setup as well:

IMG_4530hotpepper1.jpg

that a great looking little plant. I'd say its pretty happy if its setting some fruit. I'd venture to guess that it is dropping flowers because it can only support the growth of what fruit it has.

Indoor plants need to be pollinated. Shake the plants or move a wet Q-tip from flower to flower. There are no bugs inside (or at least there shouldn't be).

Edit: all plants need to be pollinated. Bugs/wind generally do it outside. So the plants need some help from you inside.

He said they fall soon after a small fruit starts forming. Would that not suggest that pollination isn't the issue?

AndyW said:
He said they fall soon after a small fruit starts forming. Would that not suggest that pollination isn't the issue?

Yes, I guess I missed that in the reading.  But still, that plant can drop a few, and still be perfectly fine.

austin87 said:
Indoor plants need to be pollinated. Shake the plants or move a wet Q-tip from flower to flower. There are no bugs inside (or at least there shouldn't be).

Edit: all plants need to be pollinated. Bugs/wind generally do it outside. So the plants need some help from you inside.

Isn't that what fans are for?  I can't say that I've ever gone out of my way to pollinate indoor peppers, but I always had good success...

Flower drop probable causes:

1. Day temp too high >95F
2. Night temp too low <65F or too high >85F
3. Too much nitrogen fertilizer
4. Too much water
5. Low light levels (reduces fertility).
6. Very low humidity (reduces fertility)
7. Poor air circulation (air circulation contributes to pollination).
8. Lack of pollinating insects.
9. Size of pot
10. Too much mineral in feedwater.
11. Too much grower attention/anxiety.

willard3 said:
Flower drop probable causes:

1. Day temp too high >95F
2. Night temp too low <65F or too high >85F
3. Too much nitrogen fertilizer
4. Too much water
5. Low light levels (reduces fertility).
6. Very low humidity (reduces fertility)
7. Poor air circulation (air circulation contributes to pollination).
8. Lack of pollinating insects.
9. Size of pot
10. Too much mineral in feedwater.
11. Too much grower attention/anxiety.

Hi Willard,

Thanks for your thoughts.  Here's some response...

#1 and #2 The temperature is usually around 68-72 (they're in the basement, but we keep our home warmer than most).  

#3 and #4 might be a possibility, but #3 less of a possibility, as I'm staying on strict schedule with the 5-1-1 fish emulsion and the CalMag with infrequent additions of 20-20-20 miracle grow.  #4 might be the biggest cause.  I try to let the plants dry out before the next water, but, they don't dry out entirely, and I'm thinking the most inner parts of the roots/soil remain moist.  I do run a big fan on them everyday, and there's no presence of mold though.  

#5 Light levels shouldn't be a problem, as they're getting blasted by 8 High Output bulbs 12 hours a day. I did move one of the plants upstairs into the ledge of a south facing window. Perhaps I might see a difference with the natural sunlight coming in?

#6 Humidity might be a cause as we're at the tail end of winter/early spring here in Ontario, and our homes tend to be quite dry this time of year. I don't have a humidifier in the home to help with this.

#7 Air circulation is fine, as the house fan runs every day.

#8 I don't have insects to pollinate but again the fan is running, and I also give the plants a daily shake.

#9 The plants aren't anywhere close to being root bound so I don't think the pots are too small.  

#10 I use reverse osmosis water, and the supplier advertises less than 10ppm TDS.

#11 This is a funny answer and made me laugh!  Thanks.

I'm wondering if it would be helpful to replant them in a fresh pot full of fresh potting soil?  

I've seen videos of Khang Starr washing the roots of his pepper plants totally clean from soil, when transplanting them.

It just seems that you have the urge to "fiddle".
There is nothing wrong with your plants.  Read a book, watch some TV...  Just resist the urge to smother...  THEY'RE FINE!

I agree they look ok. Could do with a bigger pot though. Almost looks like a dwarf variety, though id think that's due to pot size.
Just wait it out and you shall have pods :)

Back