• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

Kind bars - Roasted Jalapeño

Brand: Kind
Label: Strong & Kind
Flavor: Roasted Jalapeño Almond Protein Bar
Link to product information: Kind Roasted Jalapeño

You might already be familiar with Kind brand products, particularly their sweet snack bars and granolas. I've tried and liked a few varieties and was curioius when I found the "Strong & Kind" savory snack bars. As the label promised, the bars do not taste sweet. Those following a gluten-free diet will like that the bars are gluten-free. The nuts and seeds that comprise these bars are held together with a honey and glucose syrup, but the seasonings (smoked sea salt, garlic and onion powders and jalapeño) prevent the syrup from coming across as sweet.

Upon opening the package I first smelled the bar. I was pleased that it had a very strong jalapeño aroma, as I really like jalapeño flavor. I then looked closely at the bar and found it was mostly almonds and seeds. I was expecting to see obvious signs of jalapeño bits, but didn't find much. At the first bite I mostly noticed the nut, seed and seasoning flavors other than jalapeño, along with a mild heat. I would say the heat level is a bit stronger than the average Midwesterner can handle, but definitely not very hot for a chilehead. I ate the entire bar and found myself still searching for jalapeño flavor to the very end. It's there, but it is so mild as to be barely discernible. This surprised me, given the strong jalapeño aroma.

My overall impression was that the bars are good, but most of what they are good at is being savory nut and seed bars. If you are looking for mild heat and a less-sweet snack option, then these bars will do well for you.

Kind does make other Strong & Kind bars, such as their Thai Sweet Chile bar and Hickory Smoked bar, which I have not tried yet. For the jalapeño bar, I would rate it 3 stars out of 5, based on my personal preference for more jalapeño flavor. At the same time, we all know that more jalapeño flavor also equates to more heat, and I can tell that die-hard chileheads are not the primary target market for these bars. For someone who is not searching for more heat, then, I would rate these as 4 stars.

Kind is garbage, candy bars disguised as health bars. All the ones with chocolate are just candy bars, the ones with yogurt taste disgusting, and the ones with nuts only, the glucose syrup or whatever binds them is disgusting. I'd recommend going to either side of the polar opposite, the straight up premium chocolate side, or the real health side, like good granola and whole food bars. Because this crap is just a candy bar in new packaging, with purer ingredients (the coconut almond = Almond Joy for example).

The Hot Pepper said:
Kind is garbage, ... the glucose syrup or whatever binds them is disgusting.

I actually didn't mind the glucose syrup aspect - but it seems that GS to you is like BP to me. To each his own! :lol:

But I agree that Kind bars are basically candy bars. Doesn't matter if you use sucrose or fructose or glucose, sugar is still sugar. I haven't tried many of their bars, but I dislike their pomegranate blueberry bar while really liking their dark chocolate cherry bar. No, I REALLY like their dark chocolate cherry bar! But all things in moderation - a 4-pack of those last about two months for me, sometimes longer. I am more inclined to go with fresh fruit, then dried fruit, before going for a candy bar when I want something sweet. On the other hand, sometimes I just want a candy bar, and the dark chocolate cherry bar is ... mmm.... maybe 2nd on my list after a Heath bar. Hmm.... Jalapeño Heath Bars? Could be good!

Yeah that pomegranate one is nasty. Very perfumy. I tolerate some others but don't really love any. Dark chocolate nuts and sea salt, possibly best. The glucose crap sticks to your teeth and tastes like sugar water. Nothing I need.

If you buy the ones in the box; "Kind Healthy Grains," they are not as heavy... they have rice in them (so lighter and crunchy), and for me, are better for snacking.

I do like the well-formatted review tho.

The Hot Pepper said:
Yeah that pomegranate one is nasty. Very perfumy. I tolerate some others but don't really love any. Dark chocolate nuts and sea salt, possibly best. The glucose crap sticks to your teeth and tastes like sugar water. Nothing I need.

If you buy the ones in the box; "Kind Healthy Grains," they are not as heavy... they have rice in them (so lighter and crunchy), and for me, are better for snacking.
The dark chocolate nut bars are like crack dipped in heroin coated in powdered cocaine.

I'm just sayin - healthy or not, it was super tasty.

Back