• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Hardening off.

I understand the concept of acclimating the plants to their environment, but does hardening off have to do more with temps or the amount of sunlight? I am running out of space in my grow room and was wondering if I could put some plants out on my screened in porch?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

jedisushi06 said:
they should be fine as long as they are not in fully exposed to sunlight yet.
It doesn't get too sunny on my porch. It is only in the mid 40s at night still,so I may have to wait a little.

mikeyd1016 said:
It doesn't get too sunny on my porch. It is only in the mid 40s at night still,so I may have to wait a little.

yeah then no.  If you can close the windows off then you would be fine.

Too much sun can be as wicked as too much wind. Too much cold, too much moisture.

I usually fry a plant or two each year, but I've gotten a lot better. When hardening off, I try to do mostly shade for several days > partial shade for several days > some sun > full sun.

I feel like I get screwed most by wind. It just comes out of nowhere sometimes.

It usually takes 2 weeks for my peppers/tomatoes to get acclimated to this screwy weather. They get shade near the house for the first part, then an hour a day of sun, then back to shade and the basement if the temps are below 50. The joys come when the plants are in the ground.

Back