• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Hab pineapple mango folly

Hello again been awhile since I posted but man cant figure where I went wrong on this one.

2 pineapples
3 mango's
3 small limes
1 tsp salt
20 habaneros  
1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar 

Cooked and reduced to a apple sauce consistency.

The end taste was delicious, but the next day in the fridge it tasted like buttered sweet pickles. When I basted it on pork chops and cooked on the grill the pork chops tasted like eggs... 

Try giving it a few days to a week see if it changes. Have not had this problem. Think thp thinks it might have picked up off flavors in the fridge. Was fruit very fresh?

crunch said:
Saran wrap in fridge for a night then cooked down the next night and canned.

This can be a problem the oxidation can change the flavor, or, if you had an onion in the fridge or similar sauce will pickup flavors.

Never had an issue with pineapple.

Everything was perfectly fresh top notch ingredients. I tasted everything and it was perfect. I am beginning to think something was up with me storing it in the fridge then cooking it down the next day. I usually cook it right away after processing it. 

Maybe after being canned it will change to a better flavor. I tried a few things to snap it out of its sweet butter pickle taste last night then re canned it.

I never cook mine the first day.  I leave mine for a week in the fridge sometimes more. This allows flavor profile to mature a little. Then i can and let sit another week before using. Have never had it change so drastically. You did cover in fridge? Try waiting a week as i suggested earlier i have had sauces that had a slight bitter flavor after heating and milling to consistency. But after sitting for a week that flavor is no longer noticeable.  Hope it works out keep us informed.

Omg I forgot that I added canned Mandarin Oranges 4 15oz cans all drained except one can I left the juice in.

4 15oz canned mandarin oranges drained of juice except one can.
2 pineapples
3 mango's
3 small limes
1 tsp salt
20 habaneros  
1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar 

Cooked and reduced to a apple sauce consistency.

Ok this is my recipe I couldnt edit my first post because I couldnt figure out how I had a few to many to drink.

Back