• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Foliar feeding.

Do any of you guys give your plants a foliar feed? I've been thinking about doing it but i'm in two minds about it. Part of me thinks it's just nonsense or that any impact it will have will be minimal. But then i always see and hear people doing it and there must be a reason right?. I have epsom salts and seaweed extract, two substances often used in foliar feed but i normally just apply them with my normal fertilizer straight to the root zone.

Does anyone hear spray their plants?

What do you use?

How much/often?

Have you done side by sides showing a genuine benefit?

I gave my plants Neptune's Fish and Seaweed emulsion (2-3-1) last year. They LOVED it. Honestly I thought it was more effective than feeding the roots. Visible new growth almost immediately. Make sure you do it at night or very early mooning so they don't burn in the sun.

Edit (added): I followed the instructions on the package for foliar feeding (I believe 1-2 Tbsp/gal) and did it about every other week with Epsom salt (~1Tbsp/gal) in between. Also fed roots about every other week, again per instructions. So it would basically be getting fed every week, alternating roots and foliar feeding. I tended to fertilize lightly more frequently.

Plants will definitely benefit from foliar feeding. Generally followed by a positive visual result of it.
When I first started growing, I used MG fertilizers. I could tell shortly after spraying the plants benefited from it. Foliage perked up and took on a nice bright green color.
I no longer use salts and I did not do any side by side tests. I just used the procedure without regret. I do have a foliar additive to use but I need to have tons of calsium avaiable when I spray it.

Weekly - 1 tbs. liquid kelp, 1 tbs. molasses in a gallon of water. Lightly pour the liquid over the plant that will eventually reach the roots after watering the base of the plant.

One gallon of water for 6-7 pepper plants OR 3 larger tomato plants.

Nope.  No foliar for me.  I don't put anything on the leaves anymore, as in our area, excessive humidity + wet leaves tends to = fungus and/or mites. 
Unless it's an orchid, pineapple, or bromeliad, I feed everything through the roots. 
Some foliar treatments do seem to have a "placebo effect".  (for the gardener)  If you do happen to go foliar this season, I would encourage you to take side by side pics of a treated and untreated plant.
I used to foliar spray compost teas - until I realized that all of the bad things that it was supposed to cure, happened, anyway.  Aphids, whitefly, etc.

A Spicy English Cheapskate said:
Do any of you guys give your plants a foliar feed? I've been thinking about doing it but i'm in two minds about it. Part of me thinks it's just nonsense or that any impact it will have will be minimal. But then i always see and hear people doing it and there must be a reason right?. I have epsom salts and seaweed extract, two substances often used in foliar feed but i normally just apply them with my normal fertilizer straight to the root zone.
If it were me asking the question - and mind you, it's not - I'd be looking for specific reasons for why foliar feeding would be beneficial.
We know (if we understand plant mechanics) that plants don't just opportunistically binge on nutrients. They have specific requirements, and when those requirements are met, they are literally unable to process more nutrients, until the need arises. So, if you're foliar feeding with good effect, wouldn't that have a tendency to indicate that you have a deficiency in place? One of the rationale for foliar feeding, has been to introduce some of the less mobile nutrients locally, for a more rapid response. But the point is, there was a deficiency.
So if you don't have a legitimate deficiency, is it worth the work to spray your plants with nutrients that it doesn't need, and can't use?
Again, answering a question with a question - is it better to know exactly why we do the things we do, or to just do them, because that's what such and such does, and claims good results?
I guess I'm a little different like that. Feel free to dismiss my thought process.

solid7 said:
If it were me asking the question - and mind you, it's not - I'd be looking for specific reasons for why foliar feeding would be beneficial.

 Provide nutrients after transplanting. Until new roots are formed, the plant is completely dependent upon stored nutrients to maintain itself,  but foliar feeding can minimize the shock and keep the plant growing.
 Cold soil in early spring growth can be limit perennials, even when the air is warm.  Soil microorganisms are not capable of  converting nutrients into forms available for roots to absorb. Foliar feeding can quickly provide the needed nutrients to the plants, thus allowing the plant to begin growth before roots can furnish needed nutrients from the soil.
 Provide peak need feeding when the plant can demand nutrients faster than the roots can furnish them. Foliar feeding can influence flowering, fruit set, fruit size, amount of vegetative growth, among other things.
 Allows flexibility in supplying nutrients. Small imbalances in the soil can lock up various nutrients, foliar feeding allows the ability to correct these problems. Iron is in most soils but is very hard to get into a form plants can use.
 Can provide nutrients during times of plant stress. It can protect plants from the damage of weather extremes and drought.
 Help provide disease and insect protection.

solid7 said:
I guess I'm a little different like that. Feel free to dismiss my thought process.
 A supplement, not a substitute – Remember that foliar is very useful, but cannot replace healthy soil and roots. A plant’s roots purpose is to supply large amounts of nutrients which you cannot get through foliar feeding.

No dismissal, a discussion as you are correct. Above lifted from Organic Gardening – Foliar Feeding

`

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:

 Provide nutrients after transplanting. Until new roots are formed, the plant is completely dependent upon stored nutrients to maintain itself,  but foliar feeding can minimize the shock and keep the plant growing.
 Cold soil in early spring growth can be limit perennials, even when the air is warm.  Soil microorganisms are not capable of  converting nutrients into forms available for roots to absorb. Foliar feeding can quickly provide the needed nutrients to the plants, thus allowing the plant to begin growth before roots can furnish needed nutrients from the soil.
 Provide peak need feeding when the plant can demand nutrients faster than the roots can furnish them. Foliar feeding can influence flowering, fruit set, fruit size, amount of vegetative growth, among other things.
 Allows flexibility in supplying nutrients. Small imbalances in the soil can lock up various nutrients, foliar feeding allows the ability to correct these problems. Iron is in most soils but is very hard to get into a form plants can use.
 Can provide nutrients during times of plant stress. It can protect plants from the damage of weather extremes and drought.
 Help provide disease and insect protection.

 A supplement, not a substitute – Remember that foliar is very useful, but cannot replace healthy soil and roots. A plant’s roots purpose is to supply large amounts of nutrients which you cannot get through foliar feeding.

No dismissal, a discussion as you are correct. Above lifted from Organic Gardening – Foliar Feeding

`
Well put NECM :metal:
I knew partly why foliar works but you added a lot I didn't know and I definitely lack the ability to explain so clearly.

Foliar fertilization helps solve short-term deficiency problems. For a longer-term solution, it is important to address the cause of the imbalance.

The nutrients in the fertilizers penetrate the leaves through tiny openings called stomata. These are generally found in greater numbers on the underside of the leaves. This should be taken into account when applying the fertilizer and spraying the underside of the foliage.
Foliar fertilizer is better absorbed if applied early in the morning or in the evening. During these periods, the air is cooler and the ambient humidity is higher, which favors the opening of the stomata.
Vaporization of the fertilizer in the form of mist is the most effective method, since fine droplets penetrate more easily into the stomata. To allow the fertilizer to adhere well to the leaf, a few drops of dish soap can be added (one or two drops for 4.5 l of fertilizer solution).

Powelly said:
If you want to go the organic route, you can use aloe as a surfactant instead of dish soap / shampoo
i use wood vinegar as a surfactant.  ratio 1:300.   i would like to try aloe too. 

I always incorporate foliar feeding into the schedule. They love it. 1/2 strength (.or at least err on the weaker side). I like to foliar early in the morning on warm overcast days.

It can/will cause harm if your favorite foliar feed is too strong and applied during the sunny part of a day. BAKED leaves will be the result.

Back