• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

UK Chilli recipe

Hi guys,

I know there has been a few chilli recipes on here recently but I was making a chilli today for me and my partner and I thought some of you guys might be interested in a tasty but probably very non authentic UK version to try.

Ingredients:
I normally make this for 4 to 6 people but the below amounts are just for 2 tonight.
Ancho chilli powder 1 tsp
Kashmiri chilli powder 1 tbs
Oak smoked paprika 1 tsp
Freshly ground cumin 2 tbs
Ground cinnamon 1 tsp
Ground annatto seeds 1 tsp
Freshly ground black pepper 1 tsp
2 x dried chipotle chilli rehydrated and minced
1 whole 7 pot (whichever you prefer)
1 x fresh habanero chopped
3 garlic cloves minced
6 garlic cloves left whole
2 bay leaves
1 onion diced
2 peppers diced
1 carrot diced
2 sticks of celery diced
1 tsp sea salt
3 tbs beef dripping
1 x dried pastilla chilli rehydrated and minced
~ 4 roughly sliced mushrooms
1 x beef stock cube
1x chicken stock cube
~ 1/2 tsp Maggi liquid seasoning
1/2 tsp dried epazote leaves
1 tsp dark brown sugar
500ml Passata
250g kidney beans approx 1/3
crushed the rest whole
~100ml boiling water
400 to 500g braising steak - ideally with good marbling and dry aged for a minimum of 28 days cut into 1" to 2" pieces
2 to 3 tbs chopped fresh coriander
Optional:
1 to 2 tbs beef bone marrow
1 tsp smoked salt

Method:
1) Add the beef dripping to a pan, fry the beef to get a nice colour and remove, add the onion and salt, lightly brown then add in the celery, carrot, peppers, mushrooms, whole and minced garlic and whole and chopped chilli. Cook on a low heat for 10 to 15 mins.
2) Add the beef back in plus the dry spices and bay, cook for a couple of minutes.
3) Add the kidney beans, passata, water, liquid seasoning, epazote leaves, sugar and stock.
4) Cook with the lid on ideally all day but at least 4 hrs.
5) Remove lid and add a touch of water if getting a little dry on the bottom.
6) Add the bone marrow, cook lid off for 5 to 10 mins. Check seasoning. sprinkle over the smoked salt and fresh coriander.
7) Serve with white rice and the sour cream below.

Sour cream dip:
Get a container of sour cream, the exact size doesn't really matter just the amount you want, drizzle some decent olive oil over the top, sprinkle with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper plus smoked paprika and ground cumin.

I hope you like the recipe and I'd be very interested to hear anyone's feedback who makes it. It's a recipe iv been tweaking since university 15 years ago.

Have a good day
Tom

Back