• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds interesting germination result

so i decided to perform a little test yesterday and see what happened when i soaked some serrano seeds in tea that i couldnt get to germinate normally. i happened to be out of chamomile but i did have a chamomile mint blend so i decided to try it. less than 24 hours later i had tails coming out of more than 50% of the seeds that were soaking.   i found this odd because i soaked 40 of these same seeds in regular water a few months ago and transplanted after 2 days to seed starter mix got 0 results and gave up after 2 months.

needless to say, I'm happy with this new result even though they will be wayyyy into the growing season before I get any pods. but oh well, I learned something so it was worth it.

That's crazy! So they starting germinating while still soaking in the tea?

I just tried the chamomile(also some kind of blend) tea soak for the first time the other day with some stubborn seeds.
But I'm still waiting for sprouts

Jubnat said:
That's crazy! So they starting germinating while still soaking in the tea?

I just tried the chamomile(also some kind of blend) tea soak for the first time the other day with some stubborn seeds.
But I'm still waiting for sprouts
yeah, it was really weird. i took em out of the freezer, let them warm up for around 2 hours and dropped em in warm (not hot) tea... just like i did last time except it was water and not tea. ive tried the chamomile before and gotten decent results, but i wonder if this has anything to do with the fact it was a chamomile and mint blend... im going to try it again for sure and ill document it and see if it is repeatable

curious as to your reasoning behind freezing your seeds. I know some people do for various reasons. Just curious as to yours. 

I personally do not freeze seeds. Only pollen. I have seeds from 2013 that germinate just fine. You would think that freezing seeds would cause damage especially if there's any amount of moisture still in the seeds. Majority of peppers naturally occur in climates that don't drop below freezing. If one wanted to simulate a cold spell which is unnecessary you would think fridge would be safest bet. 

D3monic said:
curious as to your reasoning behind freezing your seeds. I know some people do for various reasons. Just curious as to yours. 

I personally do not freeze seeds. Only pollen. I have seeds from 2013 that germinate just fine. You would think that freezing seeds would cause damage especially if there's any amount of moisture still in the seeds. Majority of peppers naturally occur in climates that don't drop below freezing. If one wanted to simulate a cold spell which is unnecessary you would think fridge would be safest bet. 

to be honest, i had no idea what i was doing when i froze them, i was just like "oh this will be like winter for them" .  didnt really have any science backing me up, i just wanted to store them somewhere they wouldnt go bad.  i did dry the crap out of them for almost 2 weeks before freezing them though.

but when i pulled them all out the first time and they germinated just fine i figured i might as well keep doing it. now i have hundreds and hundreds of seeds in seperate jars filling up the door of one of my freezers (the warmer one).

the only germination problems I have had were those serranos I mentioned in the original post, oh and some anaheims I let dry out.

Back