• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Caribbean Red Habanero Checkup

This is my first time growing any type of pepper. If anyone sees something that I dont on it, or has any suggestions for anything I should look out for Id appreciate it.

This has been grown entirely indoor so far, and I began germinating the seed on November 8, 2016. The seed sprouted on the 21st, and its been roughly 156 days since start. I think I topped it once, but I honestly dont remember. 

There are only 1-2 leaves with white spots, which I dont think I should be concerned about.

I didnt stake the plant until 2 days ago because it was starting to grow sideways more than I would like, and I only staked it to try to get it growing more vertically. It can currently fully support its own weight.

I pH my water between 6.3-6.6, and I've been using 20-14-13 nutrients on it. Once it starts bearing more fruit I will probably start giving it a little more phosphorous. 

To me it looks like the plant is absolutely covered with unopened flower nodes. I was thinking I was going to get like 10-20 peppers, but should I expect this to yield substantially more providing they all get pollinated, and will they generally open at about the same time or will it be much more gradual?

I was contemplating moving the plant outside but leaving it in the planter since the weather is acceptable now. Should I reconsider doing so? Im hoping to keep the plant for at least a year, so my thought was that in the Fall it would be coming back indoor under the light. 

oVMra6o.jpg

EoPnw2J.jpg

0vwh6lX.jpg

ytmN709.jpg

Thanks!

wow. looks good... you are going to get a ton of pods off that since unless something happens it will continue to produce more pods for months.  if you do decide to move it outside, make sure you harden it off (look that up, its kinda important there are plenty of discussions on here about doing that). otherwise, good luck!

dub_sauces said:
wow. looks good... you are going to get a ton of pods off that since unless something happens it will continue to produce more pods for months.  if you do decide to move it outside, make sure you harden it off (look that up, its kinda important there are plenty of discussions on here about doing that). otherwise, good luck!

Thanks. Its environment indoors has been similar to what is outdoors. Temps are around 70-80F with RH lows of about 50 with the lights off and highs up to 80 with the lights on.

The past week its been on a 24/0 light schedule as it was outside during the day and inside under the light at night. Im not sure if this is a good idea only because I thought I remembered reading that peppers prefer 12/12 schedule.

I'd start conditioning it for outdoors, under filtered light a few hours a day slowly increasing until it gets used to it. I find pods never really develop to their fullest indoors. Get lots runty pods and the flower petals don't drop as the pod develops resulting in choked off misshapen pods.. not to mention free light. 

D3monic said:
I'd start conditioning it for outdoors, under filtered light a few hours a day slowly increasing until it gets used to it. I find pods never really develop to their fullest indoors. Get lots runty pods and the flower petals don't drop as the pod develops resulting in choked off misshapen pods.. not to mention free light. 

yeah, free light is a tough one to argue against... i read somewhere that 1 hour of sunlight is equal to 2 hours under a decent sized grow light.

ItalyChicken said:
I pH my water between 6.3-6.6, and I've been using 20-14-13 nutrients on it. Once it starts bearing more fruit I will probably start giving it a little more phosphorous.
Your plant looks great, and you've already got more phosphorus in your nutrient than your plant is ever going to use. Ditch the extra Phosphorus, keep doing what you're doing.
I grow Red Dominican Habs as a staple, because they produce amazingly, and are always my earliest. I use a 3-1-2 liquid nutrient, or a 4-4-3 dry organic. (the higher phosphorus in the organic doesn't meant much, because it all doesn't break down in our lifetime, anyway)
You don't need to adjust anything. You're already into the production stage. Consider resisting the urge to "fiddle", and just enjoy what you've already got going...

ItalyChicken said:
The past week its been on a 24/0 light schedule as it was outside during the day and inside under the light at night. Im not sure if this is a good idea only because I thought I remembered reading that peppers prefer 12/12 schedule.
Peppers don't have a "preference". They can grow in just about any light you throw at them, provided it's at least 6 hours (direct/indirect) per day, and the temperature doesn't drop below 50.

Just from the pics, that pepper looks like a visiting family member - well taken care of, fed well, nurtured. Cool looking plant that looks more like a decoration than a fire factory.

Figured Id post an update. Noticed today that one pepper has started to ripen. Thought the largest one wouldve ripened first, but guess its on a mission. The plant basically goes outside when its sunny and goes into the tent when its overcast or suppose to rain all day. Had a lot of undeveloped flowers drop, but feel like that isnt any alarm for concern. 
ymAm7Dm.jpg

Not to worry - the first ones never do what they're supposed to. Too small, or too large - and they often don't taste quite right. But after awhile, everything settles down, and homogenizes.

33844014210_7edbeaa3db_z.jpg

solid7 said:
Not to worry - the first ones never do what they're supposed to. Too small, or too large - and they often don't taste quite right. But after awhile, everything settles down, and homogenizes.

33844014210_7edbeaa3db_z.jpg

I see you have an air-pot. What are your thoughts? I was between the air-pot and the smart-pots and went with the smart-pots because they were priced significantly less, and the bottoms rests on the ground vs 0.5-1.0" above ground. I typically grow with saucers and didnt want the pot to not sit flush against the bottom of the saucer and figured I would be watering a lot more frequently and needing to empty the saucers with the air-pots.

ItalyChicken said:
I see you have an air-pot. What are your thoughts? I was between the air-pot and the smart-pots and went with the smart-pots because they were priced significantly less, and the bottoms rests on the ground vs 0.5-1.0" above ground. I typically grow with saucers and didnt want the pot to not sit flush against the bottom of the saucer and figured I would be watering a lot more frequently and needing to empty the saucers with the air-pots.
I used to use them alot, but now, only if I have nothing else to use. I had this debate with somebody else on here - but I have an extended growing season, and it seems that when the plants grow for a certain amount of time in an airpot, the roots get so bristly, that I can't seem to keep water in the pot. It runs right through when I water. They work fine for the first few months, though.
The one you see in the background is abandoned. Most of my plants right now, are in modified "Hempy" style buckets. For my climate and growing style, I like them much better.

Back