• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

media Tell me about coco coir

A hydro shop up the street has coco coir available in small blocks and i would like to try it in a couple of my buckets with drip irrigation. The Tidy Cat litter containers are about 18" tall and about 11"x15". I want to fill 2 of these containers with this test grow media. So its close to a 5gallon bucket.

I have
3-4 bags of mushroom compost
About 25lbs of Black Kow....getting more when it goes on sale again.
Really good soil that already has a lot of Black Kow, coffee grounds and compost in it.
A little less than half a 3.8cu block of peat moss.

Obviously i need to make some holes in the buckets. Ive got a 1" hole saw bit so i got that covered. I don't have any perlite of vermiculite atm. I do have some sand but not a whole lot atm.

I still have plenty of time but what sounds like a good potting mix ratio with the coco coir? The small bricks they sell expand to around 8 liters.

I got a 2 of these 1.5lb bricks to try in a couple pots.
137301.jpg

EDIT:

Found a local wholesale outlet with a retail counter. 10lb blocks are $10. Thats really close to the same price as peat moss.

Coco coir is pretty much all that I use, anymore. I can use it a lot longer than peat, which is my main motivation. It needs more calcium, but if you use a nutrient based on calcium - like CNS17 Grow - it works a charm. Or, if you go organic - which I also do - and use fish emulsion and seaweed, you can just throw in powdered eggshells or a solution of calcium acetate. (eggshells dissolved in vinegar)
I personally wouldn't put cow manure in anything. You don't know what comes out of a commercial feedlot, as far as pathogens, medicines for the animals, and let's not mention that cow manure has high salt content. It's often not very pure, and has high soil/sand, which can make it compact. Mushroom compost? Nah. Not for coco coir. For me, the only way to amend the stuff with an animal product, is rabbit manure. I do this. Fresh out of the rabbit, or aged. Doesn't make much difference.
If you're going to use it to build a mix for outdoor growing, I'd do 60/30/10 coco coir/perlite/rabbit manure. If you're going to grow indoors, I'd do straight coco. Blister there has a pretty good method for processing coco. (which I feel is much better suited for an indoor drain-to-waste grow, whereas I believe mine is better for outdoors, or SIP type planters)
So long as I've not had any causes for concern with pathogens, I'll plant straight back into my coco, without even taking the old rootball out from the last grow. I do this 2-3 times before "refreshing" the mix.

ShowMeDaSauce said:
I got a 2 of these 1.5lb bricks to try in a couple pots.
137301.jpg

EDIT:

Found a local wholesale outlet with a retail counter. 10lb blocks are $10. Thats really close to the same price as peat moss.
Keep looking for a better deal... My local hydro shop sells the 5kg "inflatable" blocks for around $11. It makes something like 80l of product.

ShowMeDaSauce said:
I checked the local hydro shops, they run over $12 for a similar size block.
You mean for the 5kg block? Because if that's what it costs, that's what you should be getting. Those small blocks are never a good deal, unless they're on clearance! (of course, I may be exaggerating - but they're not typically proportional in price to the larger quantity)

Interestingly enough, I was talking to a member here on THP from Indonesia... He says that the coco coir where he is at, is NOT cheap - it's priced for the export market. Talk about a shit deal! You have a resource right in your backyard that you can't even use!

5kg block at the hydro shop is listed at $16 at their online store. They wont sell it "walk in" for that price though. The next size smaller blocks were $13.99 or $12.99 which i think were 10lbs.

Im not sure i want to convert everything over to coco yet....at least not at their prices. At Hummerts pricing im very tempted. They supply many of the smaller local shops. I might have to setup a wholesale account with them. https://www.hummert.com/

solid7 said:
Coco coir is pretty much all that I use, anymore. I can use it a lot longer than peat, which is my main motivation. It needs more calcium, but if you use a nutrient based on calcium - like CNS17 Grow - it works a charm. Or, if you go organic - which I also do - and use fish emulsion and seaweed, you can just throw in powdered eggshells or a solution of calcium acetate. (eggshells dissolved in vinegar)
I personally wouldn't put cow manure in anything. You don't know what comes out of a commercial feedlot, as far as pathogens, medicines for the animals, and let's not mention that cow manure has high salt content. It's often not very pure, and has high soil/sand, which can make it compact. Mushroom compost? Nah. Not for coco coir. For me, the only way to amend the stuff with an animal product, is rabbit manure. I do this. Fresh out of the rabbit, or aged. Doesn't make much difference.
If you're going to use it to build a mix for outdoor growing, I'd do 60/30/10 coco coir/perlite/rabbit manure. If you're going to grow indoors, I'd do straight coco. Blister there has a pretty good method for processing coco. (which I feel is much better suited for an indoor drain-to-waste grow, whereas I believe mine is better for outdoors, or SIP type planters)
So long as I've not had any causes for concern with pathogens, I'll plant straight back into my coco, without even taking the old rootball out from the last grow. I do this 2-3 times before "refreshing" the mix.

Whats wrong with using mushroom compost?  I picked up several bags at the end of last season that were on sale.  I'm in the process of enoculating my soil for my 5 gallon container grow and I'm using 1/3 part mushroom compost in my mix.  Was this a mistake using it in my mix?

jswieton said:
Whats wrong with using mushroom compost?  I picked up several bags at the end of last season that were on sale.  I'm in the process of enoculating my soil for my 5 gallon container grow and I'm using 1/3 part mushroom compost in my mix.  Was this a mistake using it in my mix?
To get the advantages of coco, I just don't believe it to be a good quality ingredient. It's a bit heavy, lots of sand, and doesn't help retain the nice structure of coco.

solid7 said:
To get the advantages of coco, I just don't believe it to be a good quality ingredient. It's a bit heavy, lots of sand, and doesn't help retain the nice structure of coco.

ok, the blend I'm useing is 1 part P. moss, 1 part mushroom compost, 0.5 part perlite, 0.5 part coco, 0.5 part worm casting,and then I several amendments like fish bone/feather/kelp/allfelfa meal, azomite,epsom salt, leonardite/humic acid, and mycos.  I wanted to use more coco coir instead of moss in my mix but it's pretty expensive where I live to make x25 5 gallon containers out of coir.

A Spicy English Cheapskate said:
I think worm castings can also work well as an amendment in coco if your trying to use it as part of a soil mix.
Yes, it can. But as I said before, to get the advantages of coco coir, you want to keep that light. Absolutely not more than 10% worm castings, as they are very heavy, and can get "muddy".

jswieton said:
ok, the blend I'm useing is 1 part P. moss, 1 part mushroom compost, 0.5 part perlite, 0.5 part coco, 0.5 part worm casting,and then I several amendments like fish bone/feather/kelp/allfelfa meal, azomite,epsom salt, leonardite/humic acid, and mycos.  I wanted to use more coco coir instead of moss in my mix but it's pretty expensive where I live to make x25 5 gallon containers out of coir.
That's a very heavy mix. I have heard of some folks somehow getting away with it, but where I'm at, something like that would turn into a concrete block.

I go through a lot of coffee so i always have grounds. Last year two of the pots had a really heavy amount of grounds and lots of compost/Black Cow. The orange hab  and super chile that were in those pots were some of the best producers i have ever grown and the soil mix drained better than any of my other pots.

I drink a lot of coffee but not enough to make up 12+ 3-5 gallon pots. :D I can get worm castings, neem cake and kelp meal for a reasonably good price. At least good enough for the 2 pots i want to experiment on.

Ive seen a few people use coco a little differently. They use several inches of straight coco in the bottom of the planter to help with drainage and a mix above. Ive also seen all coco or coco/perlite with just a top dressing of mushroom compost and/or other amendments.

ShowMeDaSauce said:
I go through a lot of coffee so i always have grounds. Last year two of the pots had a really heavy amount of grounds and lots of compost/Black Cow. The orange hab  and super chile that were in those pots were some of the best producers i have ever grown and the soil mix drained better than any of my other pots.

I drink a lot of coffee but not enough to make up 12+ 3-5 gallon pots. :D I can get worm castings, neem cake and kelp meal for a reasonably good price. At least good enough for the 2 pots i want to experiment on.

Ive seen a few people use coco a little differently. They use several inches of straight coco in the bottom of the planter to help with drainage and a mix above. Ive also seen all coco or coco/perlite with just a top dressing of mushroom compost and/or other amendments.
Yeah, I don't know how you manage that. I've tried compost heavy mixes, and none have ever worked well.
As for coco in the bottom of a pot... That is not how drainage works. It's no different than putting shards of gravel at the bottom of a pot. It doesn't provide drainage, but just raises the saturation zone, even higher. (as each separate media has its own perched water table)

I just expanded 1 brick to see how much it filled my container. It came up to around 60% full but i only used a little over 3 quarts of water to expand it. Directions said to use 1-1.5 gallons. I will probably take a trip Monday for one of the larger bricks and some perlite.

3 parts coco and 1 part perlite?

Back