• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering How long to produce pods for an overwinter?

Jalapeños say 70-80 days, which I believe is days from plant out to harvest. Many superhot chinense will say 90-150 days.

I have a couple overwinters in small pots that I've started hardening off, and will be replanting in grow bags (5-10gal) in the next few weeks.

I'm assuming I'll see pods earlier - can anyone give me an idea of how long it might take?

I'm not sure but I've had 2 overwintered Rocoto's that I planted a month ago and no flowers or pods yet and the same with a couple of Bishops Crowns that survived the winter outside lots of new growth but no flowers yet. 

I've got a baby pod started on one of my OW Bahama Goats!
I've had TONS of flowers drop all winter long and finally one took.
Shes just sitting in a south window. Plant out in 4-6 weeks.

My Aji Amarillo that stayed outside during the mild Aridzona winter has flowers and a few nacent pods going.

The OWs have been slowly growing new leaves for a month or more.  When the night time lows start to tickle 60, the OW plants really start to 'wake up' and flower, etc.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
I no longer over winter, two years in a row planting from seeds yielded plants that out produced the OWs.

Interesting. Did you cut them all the way back to sticks?

I brought mine inside under a light, so they have new growth and have developed and dropped probably close to 100 flowers.

I thought a big point of overwintering was to get a head start on the next season.

austin87 said:

Interesting. Did you cut them all the way back to sticks?

I brought mine inside under a light, so they have new growth and have developed and dropped probably close to 100 flowers.

I thought a big point of overwintering was to get a head start on the next season.
No I trimmed them well and they were under T5s all winter long and full of flowers, newly planted seeds of same species outgrew them and out produced. 

JoynersHotPeppers said:
I no longer over winter, two years in a row planting from seeds yielded plants that out produced the OWs.
I'm really surprised to hear that. Even though I can stay planted out year round, my plants do slow down to almost dormancy in the winter, and when warm weather comes back around, my oldies take off like a rocket. Some of my small plants leap up quickly, but my multi-year plants are a bush by the time the others even think about bearing.

solid7 said:
I'm really surprised to hear that. Even though I can stay planted out year round, my plants do slow down to almost dormancy in the winter, and when warm weather comes back around, my oldies take off like a rocket. Some of my small plants leap up quickly, but my multi-year plants are a bush by the time the others even think about bearing.
This is my understanding of why you would want to overwinter. We'll see, I just moved my overwinters back outside into 5 gal root pouches from small (about 1/2 gal) pots. We are still getting below 60 at night but I ran out of room inside with the seed starts. Might take a couple weeks before we're not dropping below 60 then I expect (hope!) they go bonkers.

Back