• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Beginner Questions HAHAHAHA

OK..... So I have been a member here for a little bit now, I have been following a few glogs and posts, Seen some things I dont know or understand so some clarity would be awesome. HERE GOES:
Types of peppers with "Nicknames"
What is a MoA??
What are some other popular nicknames or abreviations.
Has the CGN21500 been named yet? LOL
What are the main differences in:
Capsicum Annuum, Baccatum, Pubescens, Chinense and Frutescens?? Maybe a couple examples of each??

I know I am asking for a lot of info and I could google it but I dont trust google and I really want to see what everyone here says about it.

scotch bonnet ministry of agriculture (it came from the jamacian ministry of agriculture. it is a variety that has been officially bred selectively for a specific shape / taste)
bbm = big black mama, boc = bhut orange copenhagen, jpgs = jays peach ghost scorpion

people are using the accession number(a unique number when seeds were collected for a government database) as it's name. no one has named it really.

flower differences: https://pepperdatabase.org/species

they all taste slightly different. they originate from different places. 
annuum grow faster than chinense
chinense have big fat leaves
pubes are hairy and have black seeds
baccatum grow longer? leggier?
frut peppers point up

big differences in flavors in those peppers as well. 

Most of your milder peppers like jalapenos, pablano, ect will be found in the annums. (don't get me wrong theirs some hot ones too)

Chinense there's a few mild ones but most are the hot peppers, habanero, bhut, carolina reaper ect. you will hear people refer to a typical chinense smell. I can't really describe it but after eating some you will know what I mean. 

Baccatum, there's a wide range of heats and flavors while there's also a unique baccatum taste. Some can be sweat, fairly hot, citrusy, some types people describe as having a grassy or soapy taste. 

and yea, the others...  :P

Blitz527 said:
Capsicum Annuum, Baccatum, Pubescens, Chinense and Frutescens?? Maybe a couple examples of each??
Here is my honest answer to ^this^ one:
Annuum - good and also tasty. Japs and Tepins
Baccatum - super good and really tasty, damn really long season though. Queen Laurie, Brazilian Starfish, Aji Amarillo. (All these taste great - Starfish is low heat though)
Pubescens - fantastically good and juicy and tasty and sneaky hot. All kinds of shapes and colors of Rocoto and Manzano.
Chinense - mostly taste horrible with a few notable exceptions like these - Bahamian Goat, CGN 21500, a couple choco habs. Some of the hotter ones are killer for powder though.
Frutescens - I dunno any except Tabasco.

Chinense, mostly taste horrible? :crazy: You're crazy, dude! They are my favorite

Just kidding. I guess we all have our own tastes...funny, because the few chocolate habs I've tried, I wasn't really a fan of(fresh, at least).

Jubnat said:
Chinense, mostly taste horrible? :crazy: You're crazy, dude! They are my favorite

Just kidding. I guess we all have our own tastes...funny, because the few chocolate habs I've tried, I wasn't really a fan of(fresh, at least).

Yeah, it is really interesting to see how different folks like the flavor profiles of chinense pods! I had a really great yellow CARDI scorpion a couple years ago that was the best producer of beautiful pods and I was so excited to munch one and god I was crushed the first bite. Tasted horrible to me! I've seen so many people say how they really prefer yellows to red and brown. Its a flavor mystery.

I can imagine different peppers have different flavors. Why do people not like the flavor of the Chinense? Are they bitter? I have had some powders and sauces and they all seem pretty good to me. But of coarse they have other ingredients. I unfortunately can not have raw pods right from the plant. I am allergic to raw produce :( it's horrible. But I cook with them a lot which I'm sure changes the flavor definition as well.
So let me add this. With each different "species" are the pods pretty recognizable? In the sense that you can generally tell if it is a Chinense, baccatuum, etc by looking at the pod and plant? I know there are plant differences in my supers to my habs. The habs have slimmer, darker green leaves. They also seem to have more leaves growing off the main stem closer together. So the plants look more compact. The ones I have are actually very pretty. At this point I have seen no flowers but the time is coming. :) Thanks so far for all of the info.

Jubnat said:

That's funny but you're right. We all have different tastes. Some chinense have too strong of that flavor for me like the brown moruga from seeds I got from pepperlover. Other people say their morugas taste awesome. Also, the orange hab to me tastes *meh* but the chocolate hab is amazing.

I'm surprised to see so many people raving about Chocolate Habs. They taste awful to me, and I love the Chinense flavor. I think Chocolate Scotch Bonnets have a FAR superior taste to choc Habs, but that's just me

To each their own, I guess
:cheers:

MikeUSMC said:
I'm surprised to see so many people raving about Chocolate Habs. They taste awful to me, and I love the Chinense flavor. I think Chocolate Scotch Bonnets have a FAR superior taste to choc Habs, but that's just me

To each their own, I guess
:cheers:
i think that's the first pod people try that's chocolate. so they like it better than the red / orange ones at least. but yeah lots haven't tried the other chocolates yet.

I haven't found a chocolate yet that I like! LOL
Chinense are noteworthy, because they often have 4 or more flowers per node. This is quite significant in the pepper family. While many wild varieties, and some Frutescens have this characteristic, it's the norm for Chinense.

I guess I just need to try more chocolate varieties. There's gotta be some more that I like...and don't like.
It's funny that it seems to be the most polarizing 'flavor' of all the peppers. People seem much more agreeable about other peppers.

D3monic said:
Most chocolates taste acrid like battery acid to me. There's a few exceptions though
It's funny you say that...I was chatting with Troy Primeaux the other night, and that's sort of how he described his Big Black Mama. Funny to hear him say that about his own pepper.
But he was also describing the heat of the pepper to burn like battery acid, relentlessly.
I haven't tasted one in a year or so, and I can't really remember the flavor...because I can only remember that heat. :mouthonfire:

Amd he said he much prefers it as a powder, as I've seen mentioned about other chocolates by a lot of people here.

I've never tried any strictly chocolate pepper powder before, so I'm excited to try it out, as I may like them a lot better than fresh.

But I think the only one I'm growing is Brazillian Chocolate Brainstrain. And that will make some hot ass powder. I think I'll have to find a slightly milder chocolate variety to order from someone on here during the season, to blend it with.

Blitz527 said:
OK..... So I have been a member here for a little bit now, I have been following a few glogs and posts, Seen some things I dont know or understand so some clarity would be awesome. HERE GOES:
Types of peppers with "Nicknames"
What is a MoA??
What are some other popular nicknames or abreviations.
Has the CGN21500 been named yet? LOL

I know I am asking for a lot of info and I could google it but I dont trust google and I really want to see what everyone here says about it.
I sort of just realized we were starting to derail the original topic a bit....

Peppers with nicknames?
I'm guess you're talking about all of the crazy names a lot of peppers have now, in addition to (and mixed together with) the standards most people know about. But a lot of them are new hybrids that people are coming up with new names for. Sometimes relating to the parents, or sometimes not at all. So you'll have stuff like 'Scotch Brains', named for a scotch bonnet and a 7-Pot Brainstrain.
Or even just the same initials sometimes...like SBJ7, or SB7J, for Scotch Bonnet and 7-Pot Jonah. Or 7JPN, a thought it was something about Japan the first time I saw it, but it's the 7-Pot Jonah and Pimenta de Neyde.

Anyway, that's all I got for now. But I think most people nailed everything else.

Jubnat said:
I sort of just realized we were starting to derail the original topic a bit....

Peppers with nicknames?
I'm guess you're talking about all of the crazy names a lot of peppers have now, in addition to (and mixed together with) the standards most people know about. But a lot of them are new hybrids that people are coming up with new names for. Sometimes relating to the parents, or sometimes not at all. So you'll have stuff like 'Scotch Brains', named for a scotch bonnet and a 7-Pot Brainstrain.
Or even just the same initials sometimes...like SBJ7, or SB7J, for Scotch Bonnet and 7-Pot Jonah. Or 7JPN, a thought it was something about Japan the first time I saw it, but it's the 7-Pot Jonah and Pimenta de Neyde.

Anyway, that's all I got for now. But I think most people nailed everything else.
Well I don't see it as any kind of off topic chit chat. These are all great answers and opinions about similarities and differences with the peppers. I have gotten a lot of feedback here as well as in my glog, which Devv shorten out the peppers I am growing into their classification. With seeing what the peppers, plants and flowers look like i do see certain similarities in each species. This is all about opinion on flavor as everyone has a different palate and the significant differences that split them apart. And yes as for the names I was wondering some like the MoA, BOC, BBM, and most are being explained and make sense. One member here has a lot of crosses which I can pretty easily figure out. It is a lot of fun. Keep on with the chitnchat about flavor and such. It's GREAT.

Blitz527 said:
I can imagine different peppers have different flavors. Why do people not like the flavor of the Chinense? Are they bitter? I have had some powders and sauces and they all seem pretty good to me. But of coarse they have other ingredients. I unfortunately can not have raw pods right from the plant. I am allergic to raw produce :( it's horrible. But I cook with them a lot which I'm sure changes the flavor definition as well.
So let me add this. With each different "species" are the pods pretty recognizable? In the sense that you can generally tell if it is a Chinense, baccatuum, etc by looking at the pod and plant? I know there are plant differences in my supers to my habs. The habs have slimmer, darker green leaves. They also seem to have more leaves growing off the main stem closer together. So the plants look more compact. The ones I have are actually very pretty. At this point I have seen no flowers but the time is coming. :) Thanks so far for all of the info.
Some species are more recognizable than others. Baccatums flowers are easy to spot and I tend to look towards the calyxes when trying to identify pods. I've noticed that Scorpions and 7 Pots have more rounded or tear drop shaped leaves whereas Bhuts have more narrow, longer leaves...and they're both Chinense. Pubescens are furry and most (if not all) Frutescens pods point upwards. These are just my observations. As far as flavor: I love chocolate pods. I'm not a huge fan if there's Scorpion in the mix, though. But I do grow Brown Morugas. I'm ok with a little Scorpion flavor in reds and yellows, but prefer Bhuts. Peach pods are another favorite of mine.

About names: How old does a cross have to be to deserve a name? Which generation? Like 8th? Just curious because I'm working on an F2 and am toying with a name but don't want to be laughed at because of instability.

-Adam

That's another thing. Age of the pepper/strain deserving a name... How long was a reaper a hp22a or B before it was worthy of a name, or the hp56 death strain, so good point, how long should someone wait to name a pepper.. I understand you'll want stability in the strain but how long should it be? Id figure 4 to 6 seasons or f4-f6 pretty sure that would be, because if your selectively "breeding" them, you are sure to be careful. Here is another question about crosses, say I have a Habanero plant still flowering. Could I selectively pollinate some with say reaper pollen, some with ghost, some with jalapeno and mark which is which so when they are fruit, the seeds in that pod will be f1 for the cross in which it is marked? The way I understand it is that each flower Gaines half of the genetics from the parent plant and half from what pollinated it be it self pollination or outside source. If it is self pollinated then it would be pure bred if from another source, it would be considered a cross or OP. Is my understanding correct?

To my palate, I like the Trinidad Scorpion and Scotch Bonnet yellows and oranges. They have a fruity flavor I really like... especially the Bonnets, though the Scorpions have much more heat. Some Chinense varieties were bred more for heat than flavor. 7-pot Barrackpore and Butch T. taste like burnt plastic to me but both are blazing hot. They're OK in powder blends to punch up the heat, but in small amounts, or in sauces. I like the brown Chinense varieties, but haven't yet found a sweet and fruity variety. I've grown Douglahs (Brown Trinidad Scorpion) and the flavor had notes of earth and wood to me. I like them best cherrywood smoked and made into sauce.

Back