• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Ramen a la D3

Making all the bases for ramen tonight. 

Chasu and egg marinade. 

soy, water, mirin, sugar, sake,  ginger, garlic, scallions, shallots, jalapeno, dried hot rod serrano x maui purple, dash of liquid smoke. 

oFX7ooB.jpg

heated to boil in dutch oven, added pork tenderloin... oh wait, there's two. wtf. Ok

OIFwJXS.jpg

threw into 250 degree oven with lid cracked open. Will cook for 3 hours flipping periodically

Decided to throw the smaller of the two loins into the broth. Will do chasu two ways. The traditional cooked in broth and other braised in oven. 

Broth is 3 quarts  sodium free chicken broth, garlic, lots of ginger, scallions, shallots, white onion, carrots, celery, white pepper, dried pods, 

pqn2wka.jpg

an hour in, too bad loin wasn't fattier. Wouldn't mind a little oil in the mouthfeel of the broth. 

g0B9BMr.jpg

almost two more hours to go on everything. then will make the eggs and marinade in the left over juices from the braised chasu. 

Man, that's gonna be dope with some homemade noodles! I have a question, though. Is there a reason why you choose to slow cook tenderloin? I always figured they were too good/tender of a cut for slow cooking. I would think you could get away with using a cheaper, tougher cut for something like this.
     I'm guessing there's a reason - just something I don't know. You obviously know what you're doing. You cook some of the most amazing shit around here!

Hybrid_Mode_01 said:
     Man, that's gonna be dope with some homemade noodles! I have a question, though. Is there a reason why you choose to slow cook tenderloin? I always figured they were too good/tender of a cut for slow cooking. I would think you could get away with using a cheaper, tougher cut for something like this.
     I'm guessing there's a reason - just something I don't know. You obviously know what you're doing. You cook some of the most amazing shit around here!

typically they use pork belly which would be even softer. Tenderloin just happened to be on sale so grabbed a small one. I thought about sous vide ing it vac sealed with the marinade but changed my mind last min. Plan is for it to be tender enough you can cut with a spoon. 

soup broth almost done, i've re added probably 6 cups worth of evaporated water over time. Has a really good flavor and spice. Mostly from the white pepper but some from the dried peppers as well. Mouth feel is really good. Only way to improve it would to of cooked it with some pork bones. 

Getting ready to cut the heat off and let it cool before throwing in the fridge for the night. 

D3monic said:
soup broth almost done, i've re added probably 6 cups worth of evaporated water over time. Has a really good flavor and spice. Mostly from the white pepper but some from the dried peppers as well. Mouth feel is really good. Only way to improve it would to of cooked it with some pork bones. 

Getting ready to cut the heat off and let it cool before throwing in the fridge for the night. 

lol, so i know exactly what you mean but the phrase "6 cups of evaporated water" made me laugh as i pictured someone dumping empty measuring cups into a pot...  anyway, that dish looks awesome, nice work!

t0mato said:
Are you going to make your own noodles too?

not today, got too much to do. I got some organic noodles that turn out almost the same as the homemade ones. If I was serving more than the 3 of us i'd make some. Might end up doing that another day as there's more broth than we can eat in one sitting. 

Pickled some shallots, baby bok choy, enoki mushrooms, scallions, spinach, marinated pickled eggs 

9FZ7eoQ.jpg

shoyu tare

W3yOWyq.jpg

way too many noodles, should of halved the amount I cooked

enMWoJ9.jpg

topped with the pork chasu, spinach, bok choy, eggs, pickled ginger, pickled shallots, 

kKOZPS1.jpg

zYuCn4v.jpg

added the broth

eBM56wO.jpg

I was full before I got down to the noodles  :rofl:

gL7nMpl.jpg

Tinnie said:
Slide the chopsticks to the side..... id be going face first into that bowl!  :drooling:

Is that pickled ginger on the right?

yea the pickled sushi ginger. I like it with the ramen, adds a nice change to the pallet. 

Back