• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Yellow Salsa Question

Hi, I have a yellow super hot pepper puree that I canned a number of months ago and I was thinking about using some of it in a salsa.  I see that the Pineapple/Mango salsas are the right color, but since the puree is.. uh.. pureed, can I just put the diced Pineapple/Mango mix in a blender and possibly get a decent consistency?  I am just thinking that it would be very watery because of the Pineapples. 

I was thinking of using the following ingredients:
1 pineapple diced
1 or 2 mangos diced
1 onion diced
lime juice
dash salt
dash sugar
some amount of hot pepper puree

Then blend up and serve.  Should I use vinegar or ACV instead of lime juice?

Thanks!

I'd ditch the mango and add tomato, and go for a chunky pico type sauce. So dice the tomato, onion, add cilantro, lime juice, then pulse pineapple and your puree in a blender, incorporate with a few pulses but keep it chunky, then, stir it all together. A diced jalapeno wouldn't hurt either for texture and true pico flavor. No sugar needed.

The Hot Pepper said:
I'd ditch the mango and add tomato, and go for a chunky pico type sauce. So dice the tomato, onion, add cilantro, lime juice, then pulse pineapple and your puree in a blender, incorporate with a few pulses but keep it chunky, then, stir it all together. A diced jalapeno wouldn't hurt either for texture and true pico flavor. No sugar needed.

Thanks so much for this.  I never would of thought of this.  What a great idea.  I can't wait to try this.  Thanks!

Small diced Yellow bell pepper Would add some bulk and nice texture in a pico style salsa. And what Boss suggested, yellow tomato, onion, garlic, pineapple, puree, jalapeno and cilantro. Mmmmm! Sounding good!!! No sugar, yes salt, lime and rice vinegar or white balsamic vinegar.

Bell peppers booooooo! The rest, yes. :D

:stickstongueoutatBoss:  :lol:

....actually, I was coming back to the topic to suggest a little bit of RED bell peppers for color instead of yellow bells.  Yellow salsa, bits of red and green...... Be-you-tee-ful~!

All peppers should have some heat even if red poblanos. :P

I believe that I owe a recipe for what I did.

1 pineapple purchased from store already cored.
1 mango peeled
1 yellow tomato
1 tbsp yellow hot pepper puree
1 tbsp lime juice
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 jalapeno diced very small
1 red bell pepper very small
1/2 red onion diced
cilantro chopped
salt

1. Combine pineapple, mango, hot pepper puree, lime juice, vinegar and salt in food processor and process it up.  I processed it so that it was smooth.
2. Add diced peppers, onions, cilantro and pulse a couple of times in food processor
3. Eat.

It was great! Everyone loved it.  I did not add garlic.  Not sure why.  I should try it again with garlic and see if that makes it even better.  Thanks to all for the ideas.  The different colors of peppers versus the yellow of the fruit/puree was great!

Thanks!

:stickstongueoutatBossagain:  SEE!  I told you the colored peppers (and green jal/cilantro and purple onion) would look great!  :lol:

Glad to hear it tasted great also~  :cool:  maybe a teensy bit of garlic, but if it tastes great as is, I wouldn't worry about it. 

thanks for sharing the recipe, I can "taste" it.
SL

Back