• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Black Pepper (Piper nigrum)

Anybody growing Black Pepper (Piper nigrum)?
I've been trying to start some black pepper for awhile now.
I've tried multiple methods of germination, as well as, different seed sources.
All without success.
Any tips would be very much appreciated.

I have started several in Jiffy Peat Pellets with the peppercorns pushed down about 1/2".
I have put some straight in, and tried others after soaking for a day.

Some have been kept in a southern exposure window, and others kept under grow lights.
All have been kept moist with pretty much daily light spraying.

My latest attempt was sewn directly into a small pot with my standard potting mix consisting
of compost, potting soil, and perlite.

All peppercorns (two separate batch numbers) were purchased from Mountain Meadow Seeds
and are guaranteed to germinate.

The first peppercorns were started on 12/6/16. Subsequent peppercorns were started in January, February, and March.
All plantings are still active. My understanding is that germination is typically in 30 to 45 days.

SavinaRed said:
Go online to Logee where they sell them for a good price. I'm getting one this year. They range in price from $14.95 - $39.95 depending upon the size. I'm going to get the one for $29.95. I ordered 2 dwarf mulberry trees from them last year and they have already quadruped in size and are producing fruit. 

http://www.logees.com/black-pepper.html

As a supplement to SavinaRed's post I found this.> How to Grow Black Pepper (Piper nigrum) by Horticulturist and owner of Logee's Tropical Plants discusses how to grow this aromatic pepper in your home.

And try this video,> growing black pepper in florida....

Hope this helps!
NECM

Thank you all. I have been on the Logees website, as well as a couple of others that offer them.
Logees is the best deal. There is  just something I enjoy about starting from seed. I did the same
thing with some organic lemons and they are doing great.

I'll keep tending the 17 that I have, but most likely will get a couple from Logees as well.
I would really like to work with Piper nigrum.

I see Peppers Garden in Delaware has the aforementioned Black Pepper Plant

Item Id: 7481799
Price: $7.95

Piper Nigrum . A weak climbing vine that is the true source of black pepper. The peppercorns are usually picked when the first berry begins to turn red. In 3-4 days they can be dried and ground. Fruiting year round, likes warmth and humidity, cannot freeze....We grow and ship in 4" pots.

I am going to RI,so plan on a  visit to  Logee's on my way back & see what's brewing.Its a great place to browse the tropical array of beauties/pickup one or 4. :rolleyes:
I am on the prowl for a curry leaf plant/seeds/??

Back