• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Major screwup and lesson learned...what are these insects?

Well, my first pepper growing experiment has taken another bad turn. Several weeks ago, I purchased two plants from a vendor at our local fles market.  One was a super Chile that already had a number of small peppers strarting. This one was puchased about a month ago.  It looked healthy as a horse but I guess I should have taken the bottle of Malathion concentrate the guy had behing the table as a sign and looked the plant over more closely.  

Brought it home and repotted it and it grew well.

A couple of weeks later the same vendor had a beautiful 2016 habanero at his table.  Again, pods already started.  Again, i should have looked closer.

I should mention that all of my other plants came from either Bonnie Plants or  CCN.

About a week ago, almost overnight it seems, both of these plants were suddenly covered in whiteflies.  They were still green and healthy looking but they were starting to lose a few leaves.  I seperated them from the rest of the plants and beging spraying with a soap mixture that seemed to be having good effect. However, after two sprays, pretty much all the leaves on the Super Chile fell off and probably a third of the leaves on the habanero  (pic attached}

The few remaning leaves on the super chile look clean but, just to add to the fun, the Habanero has, in addition to the whiyeflies, small black bugs on the underside of a lot of the larger leaves.  I am really having a Hell of a time with an ID on these.  I have attached the two clearest pics I could take of them.  Any help with an ID and a gameplan for getting rid of them would be appreciated.  

I have pretty much written these two kids off due to the severity of the infestation but IO do have the seperated so I do intend to try.  Just not very hopeful

I have checked all the other plants I have with a fine tooth comb.  I found  few whiteflies and immediately began a regimen with insecticidal soap.  No eggs seen and none of these little black bastards either.

Any help and guidance will be appreciated

Pics don't seem to have made it.  Could some on offer up the process for posting the pics?  Does it have to go through Photobucket or something similar?

Suncoast said:
Pics don't seem to have made it.  Could some on offer up the process for posting the pics?  Does it have to go through Photobucket or something similar?

Try posting the pics to imgur or another freebie solution like photobucket, then linking.  I keep a free imgur account around specifically for hosting forum pictures.  Takes two seconds to drop things in, then copy/paste the forum friendly link for that image into a post.  Preview your post to ensure you used the right link and it will appear inline, etc.  You can always go back and delete the images you no longer need down the road.

Suncoast said:
yes, image host like Photobucket or imgur

Hang fly tape around your plants and disturb them from time to time ma king the white flies take flight.you will be suprised how many white flies you will trap. Just keep them in check.

Slug said:

Try posting the pics to imgur or another freebie solution like photobucket, then linking.  I keep a free imgur account around specifically for hosting forum pictures.  Takes two seconds to drop things in, then copy/paste the forum friendly link for that image into a post.  Preview your post to ensure you used the right link and it will appear inline, etc.  You can always go back and delete the images you no longer need down the road.

I am somewhat new to this.  Which of the four code options in Photobucket will imbed the pic in my post rather than providing a link?

Those are aphids, and you did 2 things wrong with your soap spray. 1) you sprayed during daylight hours, and 2) you didn't rinse the leaves off 20 minutes after spraying the soap. We have a hot humid climate here, and you'll asphyxiate your leaves in a hurry, if you leave them coated with soap. And even more so, if you do it during the day hours. Best to do it just before sundown. You need to repeat applications, as soap is a contact, not a residual.

I actually did spray in the evening but you are correct.  I did not rinse the soap off.  In the past when I have used it I have never done that.  This concotion was one I found in both the farmers almanac and on a few sites and videos and contained some rubbing alcohol as well,  There were warnings about possible burning of leaves but that did not occur...just the leaf drop.

I have never dealt with black aphids before but the identification is a relief.  I'll take your advice and rinse off after the next spray.

Has anyone else ever used a soap solution containing alcohol?

Suncoast said:
I actually did spray in the evening but you are correct.  I did not rinse the soap off.  In the past when I have used it I have never done that.  This concotion was one I found in both the farmers almanac and on a few sites and videos and contained some rubbing alcohol as well,  There were warnings about possible burning of leaves but that did not occur...just the leaf drop.

I have never dealt with black aphids before but the identification is a relief.  I'll take your advice and rinse off after the next spray.

Has anyone else ever used a soap solution containing alcohol?
How wet are your plants? Leaf drop can also be caused by overwatering...

CAPCOM said:
Hang fly tape around your plants and disturb them from time to time ma king the white flies take flight.you will be suprised how many white flies you will trap. Just keep them in check.

Cancel above treatment for white flies. will not work for aphids.
You also have flea beetles. Dawn dish soap and water work for flea beetles.
Cant help you with aphids :banghead:

CAPCOM said:
You also have flea beetles. Dawn dish soap and water work for flea beetles.
You may be more correct than I, on this one, but it would be good for the OP to confirm... Get a magnifying glass, see what they really are. If they jump, they're definitely beetles. I don't see any holes in your leaves - which would confirm beetles - but it could just be early.

So, until a closer examination is conducted, you either have black bean aphids, or flea beetles.

Been biting them for fifty years  :rolleyes:   not likely to stop now   ;)   

They are sessile and do not jump.  No bites in the leaves,  I looked up black aphids and they match completely

Back