• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

First timer, am I doing OK?

Hi all, what an excellent forum. Fell in love with chilli's so desided why not grow some. Growing anything is new to me and I decided on my favourite... Naga. I'm in the UK... The story so far, so any pointers would be great. I had a naga left from the supermarket. So left the seeds I a little water in a dark place. After 7 days I potted with all purpose compost in small pots(end of December) . 8 seeds, 7 took! I used an electric propagator they grew fast. I also then bought some seeds in January from local gardening store naka jolokia. 3seeds only one took. Iv treated them as my baby's had a few small issues. One has odema and 2 have had small slit holes on the leaves. Manganese? They are now huge! Repotted 2 times. And are flowering and signs of pods! So happy. Iv found one aphid with wings, but that's it. They are still in doors on the windowsill. I'm using chilli focas to feed them once a week. I find I need to water every 1.5 days. The naga plant from the garden store naga jolokia, is much smaller than the others, different leaves and texture, I'm wondering what it actually is? Some questions, am I doing all the above ok, do they look healthy? And anything else I might need to know or do would be great. Will post some pics just now..... Thank you

Welcome to THP!!  We're glad to have you.  

Plants look pretty healthy and well watered/fertilized.  There are other growers with far more experience than I, but from my vantage you're doing pretty good.  :)

I'm a little worried how big they are acually going to get. It's not even may yet, are they flowering early? And we'll I have to start supporting branches some how?

I thought I would post your pics up :)

20170420_230644_2.jpg

20170420_230634_1.jpg

20170420_230749.jpg

20170420_230622.jpg

They look pretty healthy to me. But you may want to top them? That will stop them getting too high.

Thank you, I'm surprised I even got those pics there lol. So they will continue to get higher OMG! It looks like they have now split into 2 stems at the top, not sure where to start topping..

They will be fine. Just let them do what they are doing. Branches will not need any help in the support area until they got 40 kilos of peppers on them. Was going to say 40 lbs but, ah never mind.

CAPCOM said:

I have had 2 out for two days now. They are doing great in spite of the weather. Rest are going out Saturday. Like the OPs, they are claiming air space.

yeah mine been out ( greenhouse ) for about  9 days , brought them in for the weekend , suppose to get down in the high 30"s ,  brrrrrr. 

moruga welder said:
yeah mine been out ( greenhouse ) for about  9 days , brought them in for the weekend , suppose to get down in the high 30"s ,  brrrrrr. 

High 30s I will flirt with. Even a frost if I cant help it.
I have had super hots endure a hard frost and still survive. They dont like it but it was end of season anyway and they were not coming indoors. mine are under a shade cloth so frost wont get to the leaves if it were to happen.

Hi I am just up the road in North Hampshire.... plants look nice and healthy so your not doing anything wrong ... sat on a south facing windowsill they will benefit from the sun however if it gets cool in the evening and that radiator goes on move them as they will dry out very quickly. The chilli in the quaint English cup and sourcer looks great. If you can get them outside in the sun during the day that will help the plants to start to "harden off" and the breeze will toughen up your branches

May be around the middle of May when the evening temperatures rise for chillies no less than 10c you can think about getting them outside. Are you looking at a greenhouse polytunnel or patio container.... either way they will need to be potted on into their final container 11ltr or 18ltr in a good medium ... I personally swear by "BioBizz" All Mix from my local Hydroponic shop which has nutrients embedded... flowering stage I use a good hand full of potash

Lastly once outside don't fuss them a few pots of marigolds near by will attract the hovver flies ... just let nature take its course and you will be rewarded with many pods

All the very best

Trident chilli said:
Hi I am just up the road in North Hampshire.... plants look nice and healthy so your not doing anything wrong ... sat on a south facing windowsill they will benefit from the sun however if it gets cool in the evening and that radiator goes on move them as they will dry out very quickly. The chilli in the quaint English cup and sourcer looks great. If you can get them outside in the sun during the day that will help the plants to start to "harden off" and the breeze will toughen up your branches

May be around the middle of May when the evening temperatures rise for chillies no less than 10c you can think about getting them outside. Are you looking at a greenhouse polytunnel or patio container.... either way they will need to be potted on into their final container 11ltr or 18ltr in a good medium ... I personally swear by "BioBizz" All Mix from my local Hydroponic shop which has nutrients embedded... flowering stage I use a good hand full of potash

Lastly once outside don't fuss them a few pots of marigolds near by will attract the hovver flies ... just let nature take its course and you will be rewarded with many pods

All the very best
Thank you for all your help, this may seem nieve but It never crossed my mind to eventually get them in the garden. But then I didn't realise how big they were going to be. The window they are in is south east facing unfortunately, which gives me sun till around 2pm I think, the sun is then only at the back of the garden at this time and then hits my conservatory at around 430pm. I would love to repot them and put them in the conservatory but I'm not sure if the lack of direct sunlight is ok? If they get much bigger my misses is going to start complaining lol. I will keep an eye out for the mix ect and think about putting them at tge back of my small garden. Do they have to be in a pollytunnel?

Reference your question on the need for a polytunnel... certainly not I have chillies in containers dotted around the garden having a conservatory is a bonus as you can pop them outside and bring them back in whilst they harden off. Enjoy the four plants you have .... the chilli bug will grow and this time next season you will probably have eight .... this is a great hobby and the pleasure you will get when you finally pick your pods is well worth your efforts

Hi, guys, I'm now having big problems with fun fungal nats. There is loads of them. Used some sticky paper and I'm catching loads! Help what do I do!?

Spectral said:
I had them out on some good days now. But now I have aphids!
i use essential oils and aroma diffuser to deal with aphids indoor.   i also spray EM5 every week. 

32678051434_fd6afefe9c_c.jpg

there are other alternatives but i don't think it's good for health especially when you use it indoor.
you can use dr.bronner as insecticidal soap.  if you can stand bad smell of neem oil, you can use it.

Spectral said:
Hi, guys, I'm now having big problems with fun fungal nats. There is loads of them. Used some sticky paper and I'm catching loads! Help what do I do!?

you have to kill larvae in the soil too. hydrogen peroxide is very effective but it will kill something else too.  e.g. beneficial bacteria / fungi

Back