• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Chile plant transportation logistics question-- just b/c I'm nervous

I'm driving up to Cross Country Nursery tomorrow to pick up 50-some plants.  I'm starting to panic b/c I'm not sure if they'll all fit in my wife's car (Ford Focus hatchback) and i don't wanna try to get them in my Taco b/c i don't have a cap or anything and rte 295 will likely be murder on them tings, especially with rain expected tomorrow.  Am i worrying needlessly, or will i be taking 2 trips?  I'm just not sure how big the plants will be, or how they're going to be packed. I'm probably worrying for no good reason, but i'm hoping someone can chime in with some experience or theories...

No need to worry. When we transport plants to the nursery in vans or covered trailers, we often do one of 2 things - either lay them over, and stack them horizontally, or stagger stack the containers. In other words, if you have 4 containers in a square pattern, you can overlap another on the corner of the 4 pots underneath it. Do this as many times as you have room to do.
I have personally loaded a 25' covered trailer with thousands of 1 gallon pots. Every single one of them survived every trip.

Bicycle808 said:
I'm driving up to Cross Country Nursery tomorrow to pick up 50-some plants.  I'm starting to panic b/c I'm not sure if they'll all fit in my wife's car (Ford Focus hatchback) and i don't wanna try to get them in my Taco b/c i don't have a cap or anything and rte 295 will likely be murder on them tings, especially with rain expected tomorrow.  Am i worrying needlessly, or will i be taking 2 trips?  I'm just not sure how big the plants will be, or how they're going to be packed. I'm probably worrying for no good reason, but i'm hoping someone can chime in with some experience or theories...

The pic below is of 24 plants from CCN..... I think 50 plants will fit in a subcompact hatchback - no problemo.....

IMG_0430_zpsqdzelgon.jpg

Yep. You'll be fine, man. They should fit in the trunk, no problem. If it comes down to it, just lay a trash bag on the back seat and put them on top, in case the trays are dirty/wet (soil)

Also, DON'T leave the counter! Just say, "Hi, my name is so and so, and I'm here to pick up my order." That's it!

Once you start walking around that place and browsing, you'll end up leaving with TWICE as much as you'd planned ;)

Well, thanks everyone.  That definitely sets my mind at ease.

MikeUSMC said:
Yep. You'll be fine, man. They should fit in the trunk, no problem. If it comes down to it, just lay a trash bag on the back seat and put them on top, in case the trays are dirty/wet (soil)

Also, DON'T leave the counter! Just say, "Hi, my name is so and so, and I'm here to pick up my order." That's it!

Once you start walking around that place and browsing, you'll end up leaving with TWICE as much as you'd planned ;)
TBH, now that i know we'll have room in car, we're definitely buying some tomato plants and eggplants and whatever else they got that looks good.  I got some $$$ to spend, room in the garden, and a wife who's psyched to grow something other than chiles.

We did fine.  The plants look great.  We got some tomatoes, eggplants, basil, and tomatillos, plus a few random chiles i bought on impulse, in addition to my order. If i could do it again, i'd have gotten a clue about tomoatoes before hand, but the Missus and i just winged it...

Back