• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Beginner Question: Seedlings In the Sun

I just got a pepper to germinate and I put it in soil today. Can I leave it outside in full sunshine when it sprouts its first leaves? Its going to be ~77 (9A) degrees for the next week. Should I let it sit in partial sunlight and then bring it into the shade? Thanks

It is not advisable to put the very young seedlings outside straight into direct sun light as they will quickly shrivel up and die. Having placed into soil if you are not using artificial light place the seedling on a south facing windowsill... you will need to keep turning the container as the seedling will grow towards the light they will get leggy but when you next pot on you can plant right up to the base of the first set of leaves .... If your using a propergator this will help to keep up humidity

All the best

Ideally one would want to expose a plant to sunlight as soon as possible.  That being said, there is a reason there a 500 seeds in every pepper.  Environmental risks would be the concern, drying out, being eaten, knocked around whatever.  As long as it is in a pot were you can keep it safe and properly hydrated there's no worries.  When a plant is raised indoors it then needs to slowly be acclimated to true sunlight 1-2 hours at a time slowly increasing duration over about a week. Its a pain and best avoided if possible.

Back