• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil Soil questions

Just a few questions about soils and such. Last year after i potted up from my peat pellets I started to use Pro-mix BX is this soil good to use throughout the whole season?

Second question is do you guys mix the soil with manure or anything else like that? All I mixed my soil with was some perlite last season. thanks  :lol:

tctenten said:
I add more perlite, compost and an organic granular fertilizer to Promix and it is fine for the season
So just using the promix would be fine all the other things added are just more beneficial right?

For pots you might want to add anything that will lighten up the mix and add some volume.

Pine bark fines being one of the cheaper options in bags. Timberline pine bark mulch is only about $3.50 a 2cuft bag..Available at Lowes.

I put coffee grounds in everything and seems to work really well.

Straight composted manure like Black Kow is good stuff but it is going to take a fair amount of additions to keep it from compacting in pots. This year im using minimal amounts of peat moss, compost, coffee grounds and pine bark mulch. Perlite will get kinda pricey if you are making up a lot of pots and using lots of composted manure.

FullersFire said:
Would manure mixed with some perlite work well?
container grow , almost 1/3 perlite , 1/3 potting mix , 1/3 compost / manure . i dd mushroom compost , all is good for me . 
my garden gets what i referred to earlier ,     :party:

moruga welder said:
can't say that i've tried it , but sure wouldn't hurt none , sounds good . Try a couple different mixes , take notes and pics. some comparisons through the season and go with your best results next year ,     :party:
Thanks for all the advice :)

Pro mix is excellent. I would use it this year except I cant beat the price I am getting the sunshine for. I have used both side by side and no noticeable difference. I add mycorrhizae to the sunshine and that makes them virtually identical.

CAPCOM said:
Pro mix is excellent. I would use it this year except I cant beat the price I am getting the sunshine for. I have used both side by side and no noticeable difference. I add mycorrhizae to the sunshine and that makes them virtually identical.
Sweet! I think i'm going with the pro-mix BX and then gonna add a bit of manure compost and perlite and ill see how it goes! :)

Back