• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Rocoto Ferment

I have a large fermented rocoto mash that I am thinking of turning into hot sauce. I don't typically do pepper ferments, I just had a ton of rocoto at the end of last season. I used a Big Mouth Bubbler wine fermenter for the mash. It has been fermenting for 6 months already, and smells amazing.

I figured I would ask some fermented hot sauce veterans in this section if they have any neat recipes, or suggestions that I could put to use to make a great fermented rocoto sauce.

I washed all of the rocoto.

Cut off the tops including stems

Pureed them with salt and attached the airlock

6 months of fermenting, and now I have this delicious mash

Anyone that has any hot sauce suggestions, please let me know. I was thinking of maybe doing a strawberry or blueberry sauce, and then a regular non fruit sauce.

IDK, all suggestions are welcome.

I'll probably make one blueberry sauce with half of the mash, and another yet to be determined non fruit sauce with the other half. All suggestions are welcome, especially from any folks that have made sauces with an all Pubescens mash.

tctenten said:
Put some in a mason jar, stick it in the fridge and let it age for a year. Then make a sauce after it has aged. Some of the aged sauces that I have tried from some members here have been some of my favorites.
Cool, great idea! I'll give that a shot with some too. I've got a lot of mash to work with. It's changed color significantly over the 6 months it fermented. I can see how the flavor could develop even more with aging.

Thegreenchilemonster said:
All suggestions are welcome, especially from any folks that have made sauces with an all Pubescens mash.
Your mash looks (and sounds) fantastic, TGCM! I'll definitely be following this thread. I just started my first all Pubescens mash about a week ago with all Manzanos. I'm contemplating not adding anything at all to it when it's done.

Be sure to let us know how it is when you taste it (before you add anything)!

MikeUSMC said:
Your mash looks (and sounds) fantastic, TGCM! I'll definitely be following this thread. I just started my first all Pubescens mash about a week ago with all Manzanos. I'm contemplating not adding anything at all to it when it's done.

Be sure to let us know how it is when you taste it (before you add anything)!
Cool, I hope your Pubescens mash goes well!

I ate a half teaspoon full tonight, and it's really damn good. Full mouth and throat burn, but no heat on the tongue at all. The flavor is very different from a non fermented rocoto. Much more of an apple cider like after taste, than a pepper after taste.

Malarky said:
What kind of flavor do all those green pubescens have? Different than the usual "grassy" green flavor?
I don't usually eat them green, but there is a good fresh sauce you can make with them. Green rocoto, peanuts, tomato, garlic, cumin, lime juice, salt, pepper, and queso fresco. Liquify all ingredients together, and serve immediately.

Recipe courtesy of Gaston Acurio.

Thegreenchilemonster said:
I ate a half teaspoon full tonight, and it's really damn good. Full mouth and throat burn, but no heat on the tongue at all. The flavor is very different from a non fermented rocoto. Much more of an apple cider like after taste, than a pepper after taste.

My first thought would be to think of flavors that pair well with apples. Maybe cranberries?

Something else to consider would be to add fruit to a portion of your mash and let it ferment again to give the bacteria a chance to use up all the sugars in the added fruit.
     Just some thoughts. I'm pretty new to mashing peppers. I started a bunch of mashes the other day and added fruit to several of them. I'll know how they turned out sometime around Christmas!

Back