• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

How to dehydrate?

Winter is on its way in Australia.  I plan to eat fresh as much as possible, but there are some things I probably won't get through and would hate to waste them.  We have already had two frosts with more to come, so I need to pick all of my chillies and thought dehydrating them is the way to go.  I have never dehydrated chillies before so would love some advice from people who know what they are doing.

I have a cheap dehydrator, I don't know the brand but it only has an on and off button.  Do I dehydrate them whole, or do I put a cut in the side, or do I completely remove the seeds?  I have Trinidad Scorpion Butch T, aji pineapple, space chillies, omnicolor, and probably a few others.

If I put super hots in a dehydrator are there going to be fumes that may irritate my kids?  Should I set up the dehydrator in the garage to prevent this?  Should I use baking paper or something to stop the dehydrator trays from being covered in capsaicin?  Any advice is welcome.

I dehydrate in the utility room , To humid outside for that here in late summer . They smell so goooood drying !! 
I don't worry about covering with paper , just wash them .
I cut them in half , remove seeds to save for sharing ,  its a tedious chore but someone has to do it   ,     :party:  Its all a learning curve . 

I have a nine-tray Excalibur.

I always dehydrate mine whole, since I do it in the house. That way, there are no 'fumes'.

It does take longer, but I just prefer whole dried pods, I suppose.

I used sheet pans in the oven set to 200°f with the door a jar or on convection setting. Beats any sub commercial dehydrator out there and most people already have an oven. Leave them in til they are no longed pliable and sound hard and crisp.

I then vac pac whole for future grind or flake.

dehydrating brown morugas.jpg

Thank you so much for the fast replies!!!

I am not saving seed from these pods as I did not isolate them and don't have the room to grow crosses.  I do have some that I isolated, but the pods are not yet ripe so I am leaving them until they begin to get colour.

If your dehydrator is a similar style to this, you can ghetto it out for maximum capacity.

I make powder from all the dehydrated peppers, so I run them through the slicer blade on the food processor to speed up the drying process and also allow them to be stuffed on the trays while maintaining air flow. 

Have Fun!
SL

Back