• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

hydroponic Growing chillies in a hydroponics environment

Hello All,

I could do with some elementary guidance on growing chillies within a hydroponics environment; I’m a near noob (year 2) of hydroponics and ever move of a noob (year 0) growing chillies.
My question is regard to the nutrient solution - what would you recommend for growing chillies in a hydroponics environment?

I’ve been using General Hydroponics nutrients which have been awesome for lettuce, but after some Googling I see people are using Chilli Focus but I can’t find details on using it in a hydroponics environment.

My chilli plants germinated in a couple of weeks and were growing fantastically in the propagator (25*c) BUT the moment I moved them into the hydroponics system they instantly stopped growing (for 2 weeks now).  I’m a bit of a geek so I’ve a web page with the live temperatures for the chillies.

Are they too cold?

All advice welcomed.

WELCOME-FIRE-LARGE_zpsd9ni65li.gif
  to the forum!

I have used  gen hydro successfully in hydro for a long time. Chile focus is pretty much the same except it is more expensive.

Most fertilizers are pretty much the same and you should pay attention to the NPK ratios.

Use fertilizers in hydro at about 25% of recommended dosages for chiles/peppers.

:welcome:

I'm in my first year of a DWC grow with some decent results (apart from aphids).
Here's my Glog if you wanted to check it out. http://thehotpepper.com/topic/62609-locals-1st-glog-perth-western-australia/page-4#entry1399957

But as long as you have plenty of light, warm-ish water (25C) and enough nutrients you'll be fine for the most part.

You will need the equipment to measure water temp, PPM and a PH meter at a minimum. Also a lux meter on your phone can give you a guide to your light but they aren't accurate.

If you could share some pics of your setup I'm sure we can critique  :drooling:

Thanks for the welcome, and hints!

Here's a blog I was keeping last summer on the hydroponics side of things https://hydroponics-and-arduinos.blogspot.co.uk/ 

I think it's probably the 'low' temperatures in the UK at the moment which is slowing the chillies grow progress down - hopefully the weather is going to pick-up in the next few weeks and get warmer.  I'll germinate some more chilli seeds and keep them in the propagator a bit longer (using the same hydro mix as the main tank) and see if that makes a difference.

I'm just finishing off my first year of out door hydro chillies, started off real slow ,to much nutrients, I was also using
the general hydroponic flora series.
Cut it down to 350-400 ppm and the took off ended up having to cut the tops off as they were growing over the fence...

I think it's starting to work!  I flushed the tanks and reduced the nutrient concentration and they are starting to grow again.  

That's the complete opposite to my assumption that the lettuce would need the weaker nutrient mix and the chillies a stronger one - it must be the mixture as the temperature has stayed pretty much the same (possibly a bit cooler).

My best results with GH nutrients are maxibloom start to finish. In fact its always grown my best peppers and tomatoes in hydro or 3-2-1 mix containers

Nice bonus is the price

Hydro-Chilli said:
Thanks for the welcome, and hints!

Here's a blog I was keeping last summer on the hydroponics side of things https://hydroponics-and-arduinos.blogspot.co.uk/ 

I think it's probably the 'low' temperatures in the UK at the moment which is slowing the chillies grow progress down - hopefully the weather is going to pick-up in the next few weeks and get warmer.  I'll germinate some more chilli seeds and keep them in the propagator a bit longer (using the same hydro mix as the main tank) and see if that makes a difference.
What set up are you using .... and are you using artificial light in a Growtent

Back