• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Clearing out some frozen peppers for sauce

I got lots from last year so im trying this.

450gr of ripe serrano
10 orange habs...will get a actual weight later
2 tbs minced garlic
1-2 tsp whole cumin seed lightly toasted
1 small white onion
50/50 cane vinegar/water
Salt and sugar to taste

Gunna simmer this one as low as possible to keep the fumes down.

These serranos are kinda on the sweet and mild side so the sauce should end up kinda mild which is what im after. 10 habs should give it enough hab flavor for a quart of sauce.

dragonsfire said:
Looks good, Garlic Cumin, cant help feel somethings missing from that combo.

Im feeling that too and i cant put my finger on it.

Coriander seed?
All Spice berries?
Tiny bit of chipolte powder?
I have some Mexican oregano but i dont think that is what im after.

Exact measurements

450gr serrano
50gr orange habanero
80gr white onion
1.5 tsp cumin seed
1 tsp coriander seed
1.5 tbs minced garlic
1 tsp salt
1 tsp chiplote powder
3 cups cane vinegar/water 50/50

Adjust later with some lime juice. The hot "brine" tastes a bit sweet to me now but im sure that will change one way or the other.

I didn't add any sugar. The ripe serranos are too sweet imo. More "smoke" would offset that a little and the lime juice will help too. I should have cooked it down with only water and then if it was too sweet i could have introduced a lacto culture to eat the residual sugars. ATM the ph is probably just a tad too low for Lacto B. to survive but i might test a small batch to see.

I had to rush yesterday outside with some "chores" before the new round of rain came. I will blend it today and see how it turned out.

It needs a little aging in the fridge but its pretty good right now too.

SerranoHab_zpswfxurzme.jpg

Ive still got a bunch more to clear out. Ive got plenty for a orange hab sauce and enough for a couple quarts of lemon drop too. I took that bottle in the pic to my mechanic. He liked it so much he said he isn't taking that one home. His daughter likes my sauces and usually finishes them off before he does. :D

Fresh lime juice REALLY made the difference. I normally don't add it to anything but green sauces.

Back