• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Curling leaves on a Datil

I know there are a lot of threads on the forum regarding similar situations but there seems to be a different slate of answers on each.  I figured a pic would tell the story better

This is one of several chinense that I have going.  All are being cared for similarly.  Light fertilization every other week.  a nice loose soil mix.  No overwatering.  The only difference is that this one was started from seed while the others are either from CCN or Bonnie Plant starts.  This the only one with the odd curling of the leaves as shown in the pic.

Any input would be appreciated

Hi Suncoast
I went up to St Augustine last November and purchased 6 Datil plants from a local seller. They looked perfect at noon and after a 5 hour car ride south to Ft Lauderdale they were all curling. It was very frustrating. I planted them all in 5 gal grow bags and put them in partial sun (2 hours a day) under the eave of my house. I give them fish fert evry so often but for the most part I leave them alone. They all look good and have given a bunch of peppers so far. They are getting ready to give more pods now.

Bottom line :  I wouldnt worry about it too much

Hope this helps

The plant has been outside for over a month and growing well.  It gets about 2 hours of morning sun and a bit of late afternoon.  About 3 hours in total.  Too much?

Suncoast said:
The plant has been outside for over a month and growing well.  It gets about 2 hours of morning sun and a bit of late afternoon.  About 3 hours in total.  Too much?
I think the "to much" they are referring to would be more in light intensity and less to do with length of exposure. Maybe try a spot that all shade for a few days before doing partial sun.

Justosmo said:
I think the "to much" they are referring to would be more in light intensity and less to do with length of exposure. Maybe try a spot that all shade for a few days before doing partial sun.

I will give it a try

I have a datil that is doing precisely the same thing. I have found after growing hundreds of different varieties that several plants out of a group will not like the conditions that everything else is thriving under.

Looks healthy enough. would not think too much into that.
leaves cupping upwards is generally a sign of magnesium deficiency, or can even just happen when the leaves are growing quickly.
IMO do nothing and just keep an eye on it. there are no signs of the other sign to mag deficiency which is yellowing / mottling between the veins on the leaves. 

A little sprinkle of epsom salts on top of the soil may help if you really want to do "something"

edit; I also agree it could be to do with the light intensity. leaves can also cup under intense light, this is because the plant attempts to reduce the amount of leaf surface area that is in direct contact with the sun/light in an attempt to "get out of the sun / cool off"

nzchili said:
Looks healthy enough. would not think too much into that.
leaves cupping upwards is generally a sign of magnesium deficiency, or can even just happen when the leaves are growing quickly.
IMO do nothing and just keep an eye on it. there are no signs of the other sign to mag deficiency which is yellowing / mottling between the veins on the leaves. 

A little sprinkle of epsom salts on top of the soil may help if you really want to do "something"

edit; I also agree it could be to do with the light intensity. leaves can also cup under intense light, this is because the plant attempts to reduce the amount of leaf surface area that is in direct contact with the sun/light in an attempt to "get out of the sun / cool off"
Regarding epsom salt. What is generally considered the best way to use it? As a foliar spray, sprinkling some on the soil, or mixing some in with water and watering with it?

I grew 24 C. chinense plants from CCN in 2015 and experienced varying degrees of leaf curl and wrinkling, see below. I treated with SmokeMaster's Witchs Brew and noted varying degrees of improvement.

YMMV/NECM

Shrivled_Leaves_3_zpsff3iwtmj.jpg

Shrivled_Leaves_2_zps9ub0b5b5.jpg

Boris said:
Regarding epsom salt. What is generally considered the best way to use it? As a foliar spray, sprinkling some on the soil, or mixing some in with water and watering with it?

any / all of the above. most would disolve a teaspoon or so per 1L of water and water it in. many will also apply the same mixture with foliar spray.
im quite lazy and would usually just sprinkle a little on the soil.

Back