• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Agar agar as an emulsifier

About to open up my first fermentation, and was wondering how well agar agar
Works as an emulsifier. I've tried to read all the forums but couldn't get a clear answer on
How well it works. Don't mind getting xanthum but got a lot of agar agar. Any help would be awesome

Thanks,
Stanley

Have you seen the Sticky?  That doesn't really say how well it will work, google can probably get more information for you.  I've not used agar agar, can't help ~
SL

Sorry, I did mean thickener. Got a pretty big batch so maybe some experimenting is in order. Thanks for the info, i will let y'all know how the agar agar works compared to xanthum. I guess some info on the end sauce I'm trying to achieve would help too. It's a jalapeño onion garlic base with 2% salt brine. Trying to get the consistency of the green Tabasco.

The only time I've used agar to make a sauce is with fluid gels. Usually for thicker sauces, though.

You basically boil your liquid with the agar. Allow it to cool and set to a brittle gel. Then, purée it in a blender, and it will stay fluid.

Just search around for agar fluid gels, if you're interested.

Back