• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil Soil Ph issue?

Hey pepper gurus, 

I want to get your thoughts on my issue.  I have jalapenos, Islander, and tabasco peppers, all with the same symptoms.  Deformed leaves, some discoloring, and flower drop.  I have kept a close eye on bugs, and have been treating with Neem oil weekly (or more if it rains).  The Neem oil works great btw!!  I see no bugs, but still the growth is distorted.  I had a similar problem last year, but they seemed to grow out of it towards the mid-end of summer.  I live in Far North Dallas, where temps still get down below 50 a few times a week at night.  I've read that soil Ph will lower as the temp heats up, which is may be why some of the peppers recovered last year.  My tomatoes, onions, and cauliflower are kicking ass.  Ive attached some pictures, along with the whitetail institute soil test results.  The Ph is at 7, and I think I need to knock that down to about 6.5.  

My question is, do you think the issues are a result of soil PH?  If so, would applying coffee grounds around each plant be a good solution?   We have also had 3 hail storms in the last month, which is why a lot of the older leaves are broken. 

I greatly appreciate any input you have.  Thanks for taking the time!!

Anthony

Attachments

• IMG_2824.JPG
    IMG_2824.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_2825.JPG
    IMG_2825.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_2826.JPG
    IMG_2826.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 96
  • soil test results.PNG
    soil test results.PNG
    209 KB · Views: 80
ShowMeDaSauce said:
What is the ph of the water you are using? My tap water is really high but rain water is about perfect.

Honestly Ive barely watered as it has been raining once or twice a week.  Assuming my PH of water is high, how should I counter balance that?

solid7 said:
Broad mites.  Crooked (zig-zag) mid-rib on the leaves...

I do not see any mites.  Hopefully the neem oil applications will wipe these boogers out if that is the problem. 

There are numerous ways to lower the ph of water. It does not take much citric acid or white vinegar to lower ph by a full point. A lb or gallon of either would adjust many 55gal barrels of tap water. I need to test it for myself but it appears as little as 1/8th tsp of citric acid per gallon is enough for a full 1+ point drop or a tbs of 5% vinegar.

Commercial hydro ph DOWN products are nothing more than phosphoric acid and citric acid. Read the MSDS on a few and see what you think works best for you.

allmypeppersliveinTX said:

Honestly Ive barely watered as it has been raining once or twice a week.  Assuming my PH of water is high, how should I counter balance that?

I do not see any mites.  Hopefully the neem oil applications will wipe these boogers out if that is the problem. 

You're not going to see broad mites with the naked eye.

Looks like broadmite damage. Neem actually won't control that specific mite and you will be hard pressed to see them easily without magnification.
The best organic solution is wettable sulphur sprayed on all plant surfaces (be aware this kills good and bad bugs so only do it when absolutely needed).
There are various non-organic miticides out there but I have no experience with them as I personally won't use them, but others swear by them.

Trippa said:
Looks like broadmite damage. Neem actually won't control that specific mite and you will be hard pressed to see them easily without magnification.
The best organic solution is wettable sulphur sprayed on all plant surfaces (be aware this kills good and bad bugs so only do it when absolutely needed).
There are various non-organic miticides out there but I have no experience with them as I personally won't use them, but others swear by them.

I just bought some Doctor Zymes Eliminator for the mites.  Hopefully this will work :(   so depressing.   It is my understanding that the Neem should work to deter broad mites before they are a problem.  

Link to Dr Zymes Product. 
http://westernfarmcenter.com/product/the-amazing-doctor-zymes.htm

I just bought some Doctor Zymes Eliminator for the mites.  Hopefully this will work :(   so depressing.   It is my understanding that the Neem should work to deter broad mites before they are a problem.  

Broad mites are regarded as one of the toughest pests to get rid of.  It usually takes a multi-pronged strategy to deal with them.  That typically includes maintenance - cutting back tall plants and weeds anywhere near them, sprayings, and introduction of beneficial (predatory) mites.
However, you may want to check out the thread on companion plants.  I've been having some good luck this year with planting various herbs and flowering plants. (as a deterrent)

Let us know if it works ... Will take a good while before you see plants bouncing back from mite effects even after they are gone.

Trippa said:
Let us know if it works ... Will take a good while before you see plants bouncing back from mite effects even after they are gone.

Will do.  Hopefully I can revive these things.   :deadhorse:     

Moving forward, would you recommend the Neem for mite prevention?  

Moving forward, would you recommend the Neem for mite prevention?  

Absolutely not...  It might put a dent in them, but it won't get rid of them.  And if you ever end up wanting to give them the sulfur treatment, you'll have to wait several weeks, as the oil and sulfur don't play well together. (we're talking plant damage or death)

That's awesome
I don't think a pH of 7 is an issue

As solid7 says it looks like something is nibbling on them. Keep up with the neem and keep an eye on the newer growth!

Hey guys, wanted to provide a quick update.  I ended up pulling all but one pepper plant, and that one is still stunted.  It may recover, but not counting on it.  I planted two more plants a couple weeks ago, and started spraying with a neem/soap mixture from day 1, about every 3 days.  One of the plants looks almost unaffected by mites, and the other one is about dead.  I planted 4 more plants last night, hoping the neem application will prevent the mites from killing them.  I'll let you know how it turns out.  

Everything else in my garden (tomatoes, onions, wax beans) is thriving.  Really disappointed in the peppers, fingers crossed a few will survive.  I really need some jalapeno poppers in my life!!!!

Thanks for all of the advice. 
Peace!

update. all the plants referenced in last post are thriving.  Using Neem oil as a prevention of broad mites must have worked.  I have not sprayed them in about two weeks and still no issues.  From now on, I will spray all my peppers for the first month or two after planting.  Thanks for all who chimed in.  

Back