• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

sboustani2023 first timer, growing habanero/jalapeno/cayenne

Hey I just wanted to log my progress, and find any help that I need lol. I'm not really an experienced grower, I have an apple tree I planted in my front lawn and I have put some grass seed on my lawn before. 

4/12
Started germination of the (red,yellow, chocolate) Habanero, paper towel in zip lock bag method

4/21
Transferred to jiffy small pot when tails came out of the seeds

4/25
Started germination of Jalapeno/Cayenne/Pimiento, paper towel in zip lock bag method

4/29
Small sprouts came up, 1 Chocolate, 1 Red, and 3 Yellow

4/30
Transferred to jiffy small pot when tails came out Jalapeno/Cayenne/Pimiento

5/3
Chocolate Habanero has first set of true leaves coming out, the rest have just the starter leaves.

Growing under LED, using fish fertilizer and hydroponic nutrient once a week and alternating.
box_zps81irdj66.jpg

plant_zpsh6a8nj4x.jpg

Welcome! And you'll definitely find any help you need here on THP.

Looks like you're off to a great start!

Jubnat said:
Welcome! And you'll definitely find any help you need here on THP.

Looks like you're off to a great start!

Thanks! I have a lot of reading to do.... I'm so impatient which I know isn't good for growing things lol
I can't wait till they get about 6-8 leaves so I can move them outside.

5/5
Chocolate Habanero has 4 leaves and about to sprout another set. Red and Yellow Habanero has its first set coming in. But what surprised me is when I left for work this morning my Jalapeno and Cayenne had not sprouted except for one small Jalapeno and when I came back after work I had like 6 sprout and most are taller than my habaneros!!!

Do they grow faster than habaneros?

Here is a picture, the Jalapeno is top left.

sboustani2023 said:
Do they grow faster than habaneros?
Yes, Jalapeños(capsicum annuum), generally grow faster than capsicum chinense, which Habaneros are.

Funny, I noticed you seeded all of your chinense a couple weeks before your annuums. I figured you had done some research...but really just a lucky coincidence I guess! :party:

Lol just lucky, I started the habaneros and then decided I wanted some different types of peppers too, I think I did read that the hotter peppers usually take longer to grow. But I didn't think it would go from not being sprouted to being taller than my habaneros in a day hahaha.

5/9
Just a small update, the Jalapenos, Cayenne, Pimientos are growing super fast all sprouted, the habaneros have multiple leaves now, and the white cups have orange, red, and white habaneros germinating just waiting for them to sprout, and 4 other pots have strawberries.

Couple of questions if someone could help.

1st the red and chocolate habs leaves are curling upwards, I don't think I'm overwatering as I only water when the soil feels and looks dry, I usually water about every 1.5 days.

2nd question, I should move them to bigger pots and harden them off when they have about 6-8 leaves? Should I move them sooner because I have some roots coming out of the bottom and they haven't grown much in the past couple of days, they have about 3-5 true leaves each with another set coming in?

So today I was at Lowe's picking up a grill, and decided to check out some of the garden section when I came across pepper plants they had for sale, they had a bunch of Jalapenos and Cayenne plants some orange Habaneros, I noticed one shelf of pepper plants with no labels and only one plant was left out of six spots, I checked the grow tag on it and was surprised that it was a ghost pepper plant, it was 3.84 so I bought it lol. It's about 8" tall, I potted it up and now it dwarfs my other pepper plants lol.

Yeah, I saw those ghost peppers at lowes a few times. I already had one going so I didn't pick any up, but I'm curious to see how they turn out. I wanted to get one to compare, but I already have so much growing...but then I bought a Tabasco.

I even saw that they had shishitos. I guess it's nice that they are starting to introduce the general public to a wider variety of peppers, not just variations of bell peppers and New Mexico types.

Jubnat said:
Yeah, I saw those ghost peppers at lowes a few times. I already had one going so I didn't pick any up, but I'm curious to see how they turn out. I wanted to get one to compare, but I already have so much growing...but then I bought a Tabasco.

I even saw that they had shishitos. I guess it's nice that they are starting to introduce the general public to a wider variety of peppers, not just variations of bell peppers and New Mexico types.

lol it is hard to resist!

Decided to move them from the front porch to the backyard today no more shade for them lol.

I'm starting to get excited, they seem to keep growing faster and faster, didn't think I would have as much fun as I'm having growing peppers haha.

Small update, they seem to be doing fine in direct sunlight, the ghost pepper plant I got from Lowe's has a bunch of small pods on it, I took a picture of one that has extended out. My two favorite plants seem to be doing well, chocolate and yellow habanero. They aren't very tall but are pretty wide compared to the others. Here are the pictures!

And yes I did clean out that carpet cleaner bottle before I used it for the plants lol.

Anyone know a rough estimate from pod opening to fruit?

When you moved the plants into bigger pots, where did you get the soil from? It looks like it could be Southern Blight (an infection of Sclerotium rolfsii). It would be one of the more common stem/root fungus diseases if you're in Alabama. It grows and spreads more easily in hot humid climates. There are obviously other varieties of fungi that could be responsible. 

There isn't much that can be done to save the branches when they get to that point as far as I know.

It might be possible to cut the branch off somewhat above the infected part and score/scrape the stem a little and dip it in a rooting hormone like IBA or NAA. Remove ~60% of the total leaf area to prevent too much transpiration until roots can form. Plant the the cutting in well-draining sterile mix and keep a humidity dome over the pot 12-18 hrs/day (again to limit transpiration). Keep the soil lightly moistened. Check to see if the cutting resists a light tug after 3 weeks, if it does, it probably has roots and can be transplanted to a larger pot.

Good luck

Peter_L said:
When you moved the plants into bigger pots, where did you get the soil from? It looks like it could be Southern Blight (an infection of Sclerotium rolfsii). It would be one of the more common stem/root fungus diseases if you're in Alabama. It grows and spreads more easily in hot humid climates. There are obviously other varieties of fungi that could be responsible. 

There isn't much that can be done to save the branches when they get to that point as far as I know.

It might be possible to cut the branch off somewhat above the infected part and score/scrape the stem a little and dip it in a rooting hormone like IBA or NAA. Remove ~60% of the total leaf area to prevent too much transpiration until roots can form. Plant the the cutting in well-draining sterile mix and keep a humidity dome over the pot 12-18 hrs/day (again to limit transpiration). Keep the soil lightly moistened. Check to see if the cutting resists a light tug after 3 weeks, if it does, it probably has roots and can be transplanted to a larger pot.

Good luck

I used a mix of organic soil, perlite, peat moss, some bonemeal, and orchid blend soil. I ended up pulling both my habanero plants and one jalapeno :( all the other plants look healthy, hopefully it doesn't happen to anymore of them!

:welcome: to the 2017 grow season, Sami!  

You are off to a great start for a first season!
It is possible those two plants dampened off.  
In damping off,  a brown, soft stem is a result of
too much water at the soil level.  Definitely looks
like that in the first pic, harder to tell in the other.
That may not be the case here since the others
are heathy and I assume getting the same watering
schedule.

Good on ya for pulling them.  Keep an eye on the
moisture level in your pots.   Peppers don't like to be
overwatered. 

Good luck going forward!

Thank you! Lucky I had some back up habaneros they are a bit younger hopefully they will catch up to the rest, I also kinda cheated I ended up ordering some plants online to replace the 3 that didn't make it. Here is my list of all the living plants I have now lol

Dragon Cayenne *Lowe's*
Golden Cayenne *Lowe's*
Cayenne *seed*
Jalapeno *seed*
Pimiento *seed*
Red Habanero *seed*
White Habanero *seed*
Orange Habanero *seed*
Red Stavia Habanero *Chile plants*
Ghost Pepper *Lowe's*
White Ghost Pepper *Chile plants*
Scotch Bonnet Red *Chile plants*