• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Red Savina vs. Red Hab?

I have found the labeling at my local nurseries to be extremely vague. Even the varieties that are shipped in from larger nurseries and distributors have names like, "Chili Red," "Mucho Nacho," or "Scary Ghost," that turns out to be some kind of unstable Cayenne cross. So , here's my question is there a "Red Habanero?" I have grown Caribbean Reds and Red Savinas, but I have never heard of a red hab, except from my local nursery. I just bought 3 plants but didnt want to get my hopes up too much because I have learned not to trust these places. Somebody help me out, is there a plain Red Hab?

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

There are many red habanero varieties including a general Red Hab, Red Scotch Bonnet, Carribean Red, Antillais Red, etc. and the llist goes on.   To me most red habs taste similar but some have a milder flavor and heat compared to others that have blazing heat and very strong Habanero flavor. 

My favorite Red Habanero type is the Antillais Red which is a milder heat and flavor red hab, the Jamaican Red is very similar in that regard but its very seedy.  

What I'm saying is most red habs are similar unless you are used to one specific variety I think you could be happy with whichever one you get from your purchase site.

cheers

Buzzman19 said:
There are many red habanero varieties including a general Red Hab, Red Scotch Bonnet, Carribean Red, Antillais Red, etc. and the llist goes on.   To me most red habs taste similar but some have a milder flavor and heat compared to others that have blazing heat and very strong Habanero flavor. 

My favorite Red Habanero type is the Antillais Red which is a milder heat and flavor red hab, the Jamaican Red is very similar in that regard but its very seedy.  

What I'm saying is most red habs are similar unless you are used to one specific variety I think you could be happy with whichever one you get from your purchase site.

cheers
I understand that there are many red habanero varieties, I have grown many of them. I was just wondering about the actual name "Habanero Red" that the nursery put on this plant. Is it a Savina, a Red Scotch Bonnet, or is there actually a variety called just a Red Hab?

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:
Click >here< for recent thread on red habs.
Thanks man, that kind cleared it up for me. Unlike the op in that thread, I was kind of hoping it was a Savina. I dont mind the heat!

CMJ said:
I understand that there are many red habanero varieties, I have grown many of them. I was just wondering about the actual name "Habanero Red" that the nursery put on this plant. Is it a Savina, a Red Scotch Bonnet, or is there actually a variety called just a Red Hab?

I have a friend that has a Garden Center / Nursery.  Whenever he doesnt know the exact type of pepper etc he will just give it a generic term or name on the tag to sell.  In the case of your Red Habanero it could be one of any number of varieties but since they arent likely 100% sure they can just give the moniker of "Red Habanero" and that about covers them. 

Keep in mind I am just guessing the situation but I'll expect to see some pictures later on in the summer of your grow for identification!  lol

Blessings on a good grow season!

to answer your question, yes, there is a red habanero. the problem is there are so many red habaneros, i have grown several.

Red Savinas and caribbean red are hybrids, red savinas being from GNS Spices and caribbean red the evil monsanto.  if you are doing a trade with someone that saved the red savinas seed from plants they grew then you really wouldn't be getting true red savinas(though there are companies that do sell true red savina).  Renee's seeds claim they sell true red savina.  caribbean red can be found at nurseries and labeled caribbean red.

I have found red habanero rojo(from Tried & True), something just called red habanero, burpees sells a red hab and hortafor, then seeds i saved from pods i picked up in yucatan, mexico. the mexican red habanero were the sweetest i have ever tasted but when i grew out the saved seeds they had a bitter taste but grew fast, flowered and fruited early. on occasion, i sow caribbean red and at one time they were my one of my favourites. but now i tend to lean towards red scotch bonnets which i can buy locally.

good growing.

Reactions: CMJ
Buzzman19 said:

I have a friend that has a Garden Center / Nursery.  Whenever he doesnt know the exact type of pepper etc he will just give it a generic term or name on the tag to sell.  In the case of your Red Habanero it could be one of any number of varieties but since they arent likely 100% sure they can just give the moniker of "Red Habanero" and that about covers them. 

Keep in mind I am just guessing the situation but I'll expect to see some pictures later on in the summer of your grow for identification!  lol

This has pretty much been my experience with nurseries. Thanks for the input. I will post pics when I get some pods off of it.

Burning Colon said:
to answer your question, yes, there is a red habanero. the problem is there are so many red habaneros, i have grown several.

Red Savinas and caribbean red are hybrids, red savinas being from GNS Spices and caribbean red the evil monsanto.  if you are doing a trade with someone that saved the red savinas seed from plants they grew then you really wouldn't be getting true red savinas(though there are companies that do sell true red savina).  Renee's seeds claim they sell true red savina.  caribbean red can be found at nurseries and labeled caribbean red.

I have found red habanero rojo(from Tried & True), something just called red habanero, burpees sells a red hab and hortafor, then seeds i saved from pods i picked up in yucatan, mexico. the mexican red habanero were the sweetest i have ever tasted but when i grew out the saved seeds they had a bitter taste but grew fast, flowered and fruited early. on occasion, i sow caribbean red and at one time they were my one of my favourites. but now i tend to lean towards red scotch bonnets which i can buy locally.

good growing.
Caribbean Reds are one of my favorites to grow, but I hate the taste.

Burning Colon said:
Red Savinas and caribbean red are hybrids, red savinas being from GNS Spices and caribbean red the evil monsanto.  if you are doing a trade with someone that saved the red savinas seed from plants they grew then you really wouldn't be getting true red savinas(though there are companies that do sell true red savina).
I didn't know that! I've read repeatedly that Garcia/GNS had selectively bred the plant he found in a field of yellow habs before registering it but didn't know the seeds were F1. So I guess the seeds need to be bought from a reputable seed seller that displays the "Registered" trademark like HABANERO RED SAVINA®.

Don't buy them here. >here< (Scroll down & read the first two reviews!)

Most things marketed as Red Savina are just a variety of red habanero and most of the people who sell Red Savina have no clue there is any difference between a regular red and what they think they're selling.  Having grown and eaten a lot of both, even the real Red Savina are inconsistent in heat levels.  I've had plenty of plants come in with the heat of a plain habanero, even though you could tell from the thicker walls and flavor that it was a Savina.

Also...

CMJ said:
No sir, I am in Arkansas.

Sup homie.  :D  I'll have some plain ass red hab seeds again later this season.  If the plants you bought don't turn out, drop me a PM and I'll throw some in the post or use it as an excuse to ride the bike to wherever you're at.

Slug said:
Most things marketed as Red Savina are just a variety of red habanero and most of the people who sell Red Savina have no clue there is any difference between a regular red and what they think they're selling.  Having grown and eaten a lot of both, even the real Red Savina are inconsistent in heat levels.  I've had plenty of plants come in with the heat of a plain habanero, even though you could tell from the thicker walls and flavor that it was a Savina.

Also...

Sup homie.  :D  I'll have some plain ass red hab seeds again later this season.  If the plants you bought don't turn out, drop me a PM and I'll throw some in the post or use it as an excuse to ride the bike to wherever you're at.
I will definitely keep that in mind bud, thanks. I am in Cabot, just North of LR. Here is a pic of the first one to pop. Its still too early to tell, but it looks a lot like a Caribbean Red to me. I hope im wrong. Kinda burned myself out on those last year...
ee4edca6448db834dc9bec2fb5b67560.jpg

CMJ said:
No sir, I am in Arkansas.

You know, you can change your location in your profile information.

Just sayin'...it might save you a little time in the future. ;)

Jubnat said:
You know, you can change your location in your profile information.

Just sayin'...it might save you a little time in the future. ;)
Done, thanks.

Back