• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce New Chocolate Reaper Hot Sauce!!

Am thinking this means the existence of a chocolate reaper is official?  Being serious, could you ask if it was in fact a natural variant of the original that just sort of popped up?  I ask because lots of people reported getting chocolate reapers just sort of turning up without any sort of intentional crossing.  I figure if Puckerbutt did, there must be something to it. 

AJ Drew said:
Am thinking this means the existence of a chocolate reaper is official?  Being serious, could you ask if it was in fact a natural variant of the original that just sort of popped up?  I ask because lots of people reported getting chocolate reapers just sort of turning up without any sort of intentional crossing.  I figure if Puckerbutt did, there must be something to it. 
Pretty sure it was a natural variant, had showed up after growing 500,000 + Reaper plants. Grew some from Ed last yr. Think he released the seeds for it a few months ago.

AJ Drew said:
soon to be sold by jim fluffy duffy.  Great sauce btw i have a bottle on my counter.

jedisushi06 said:
soon to be sold by jim fluffy duffy.  Great sauce btw i have a bottle on my counter.

Naw, chocolate reapers have been popping up for much time now.  I had one first season I grew reapers, worked on it, sent lots of free with order and asked folk to tell me how they went, finally offered them for sale this past year.  Mr. Butch Taylor did much the same as I understand it.  But there have been lots of other folk with like results.  I gotta figure Mr. Duffy already has the thing, if not in the catalog then in his garden.

But ye, same sort of thinking goes back and forth about a lot of the big names.  I kind of think on it the same way I think on knife making and black smithing.  I am selling labor, so there really isnt any reason for competition.  Just folk paying me to do a thing.  We all have limited labor, so there isnt really competition.

Now maybe it is cause our seed business is small time and they ignore me, but I would gladly drink a bier with both of them, sit down, shut up, drink my bier and learn.  Both are absolutely amazing men for what they have accomplished.

AJ Drew said:

Naw, chocolate reapers have been popping up for much time now.  I had one first season I grew reapers, worked on it, sent lots of free with order and asked folk to tell me how they went, finally offered them for sale this past year.  Mr. Butch Taylor did much the same as I understand it.  But there have been lots of other folk with like results.  I gotta figure Mr. Duffy already has the thing, if not in the catalog then in his garden.

But ye, same sort of thinking goes back and forth about a lot of the big names.  I kind of think on it the same way I think on knife making and black smithing.  I am selling labor, so there really isnt any reason for competition.  Just folk paying me to do a thing.  We all have limited labor, so there isnt really competition.

Now maybe it is cause our seed business is small time and they ignore me, but I would gladly drink a bier with both of them, sit down, shut up, drink my bier and learn.  Both are absolutely amazing men for what they have accomplished.

Jim is a shady business man.  Nothing really special about him.  Another backyard grower just the like the rest of us.  

jedisushi06 said:
Jim is a shady business man.  Nothing really special about him.  Another backyard grower just the like the rest of us.  

I have heard that and much worse about Mr. Duffy.  Thing is, I have heard that and worse about just about everyone with a public face.  You and I just haven't been noticed yet.  Have ordered from Mr. Duffy, I get what I order and on time.  Out of the blue, he sent me a message saying he was praying for my mother when she was sick.  Never done me wrong so I keep an open mind.

BTW: Best story was about another public face that grows peppers.  Something about "Pepper Whores" at a pepper convention.  Man, I didn't know they had pepper conventions much less pepper conventions with whores.  Oh, and they were talking about women because the conversation went on about how they claim to be Christian.  It was so funny, I showed it to my wife.  She now says no matter how successful our farm become, I will not be going to Pepper Conventions.

AJ Drew said:
I wonder if the flavor  of the Chocolate reaper is true on all i got some red reaper and all i tasted was FIRE 

On eds site in description
"Flavor has been described as sweet, fruity, with a hint of cinnamon with chocolate undertones.  Uses include hot sauces, salsas, cooking"

I have a hard time believing all someone gets is heat with no flavor unless it's Cayenne. I couldn't imagine someone eating something with Ghost or Reaper and not knowing the difference.

Greenguru said:
I wonder if the flavor  of the Chocolate reaper is true on all i got some red reaper and all i tasted was FIRE
On eds site in description
"Flavor has been described as sweet, fruity, with a hint of cinnamon with chocolate undertones.  Uses include hot sauces, salsas, cooking"

That cinnamon stuff is said about the regular Reaper, too. It's not, strictly speaking, true to my experience. It tastes spiced like things with cinnamon but it doesn't taste like it itself has cinnamon at all.

Mystere said:
I have a hard time believing all someone gets is heat with no flavor unless it's Cayenne. I couldn't imagine someone eating something with Ghost or Reaper and not knowing the difference.

Heat with no flavour from something like a Hab, maybe, but supers are slow enough to give at least momentary taste before the heat overwhelms people's fragile minds.

You are right about the flavor masked with heat and I could not remember anything else just FIRE and would I taste same favor the Reaper flavor to me not cinnamon or fruity if you talk about the flavor that separates Ghost and reaper it's just a split second I taste it .., as same as smell of reaper and the two peppers are difference
Maybe it's a bittersweet stronger cent beCauce it being so much hotter

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I've found that preserving heat is done best by cooking in the oven. The high heat of the top of the stove tones it down. So I still have the heat, I add some extra after cooking something like burgers. Skip that step and you get more flavor than heat.

Back