• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

What TDS level should I shoot for in Drop to Waste setup?

I  am running a drip to waste system in 3.5, 4, & 5 gallon buckets with a 5-1-1 mix.  I am using Masterblend and CalMag. What TDS level should I be shooting for at the emitter? My tap water is 180ppm.

I just recently got my tds meter and plan to test the water at the emitter and the runoff to see what is happening and increase till the runoff raises slightly but I would love a heads up at a starting level.

Please shower me with your wisdom!

Bonus: I don't have a cat, so here is a baby chocolate hab tax

elnKWNG.jpg

juanitos said:
idk i just follow the mix instructions on bag..  ;)

Maybe your package came with instructions mine didn't.

The directions say put 1 ounce in three gallons then a quart in each of 12 plants.

Is that per day? Per week? Hydroponic? In ground? Potted?

Just hoping to get a feel for what is working for others.

the plant will uptake what it wants. you can use it whenever you feel the plant needs it...
you will not burn the plant since we dilute the nutrients in water at a lowish rate. they will not build up very fast.

you can use nutrient solution with any medium. (although if you already have rich soil there isn't much of a point?)

mixing per mfg usually gets you around 600-1000 tds.

you could follow PeterS youtube or khangs youtube for how they mix it if you need help.

I would shoot for an absolute maximum of between 1000-1200. 
Honestly, though, "ppm" is a rather primitive way to dole out ferts.  It is far better to measure EC.  A very nice range is 1.2mS to 1.5mS.

juanitos said:
the plant will uptake what it wants. you can use it whenever you feel the plant needs it...
you will not burn the plant since we dilute the nutrients in water at a lowish rate. they will not build up very fast.

you can use nutrient solution with any medium. (although if you already have rich soil there isn't much of a point?)

mixing per mfg usually gets you around 600-1000 tds.

you could follow PeterS youtube or khangs youtube for how they mix it if you need help.

That is great info for starters. Thanks!

solid7 said:
I would shoot for an absolute maximum of between 1000-1200. 
Honestly, though, "ppm" is a rather primitive way to dole out ferts.  It is far better to measure EC.  A very nice range is 1.2mS to 1.5mS.

Funny, I read there is debate between ppm and EC. Im going to go for ballpark and let the chips fall where they may.

Thanks for the reply

mas_fuego said:

Funny, I read there is debate between ppm and EC. Im going to go for ballpark and let the chips fall where they may.

Thanks for the reply

There is a correlation between EC and yield.  The target for EC is 1.4mS for optimum yields.  Anything that deviates from that, is shown to decrease yield. (in all plants)

Of course, you don't care about that, if you're not a commercial grower, but the information is yours to do with, as you please...

If you are measuring ppm start low. 400-600, can go up from there.

Dont start at 1200 like some do. Peppers generally dont like hot mixes.

Should measure ec for most accuracy

Swartmamba said:
If you are measuring ppm start low. 400-600, can go up from there.

Dont start at 1200 like some do. Peppers generally dont like hot mixes.

Should measure ec for most accuracy

Thanks.

This has been quite the adventure.

Back