• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Chilli Plant Leaf Mutation?

Hey

My chilli plant is a couple months old now, and this is my first time growing so Im a noob. However, I thought this was pretty cool and I was wondering if anyone had seen this before, or even if its something that happens quite often? Anyway, one of the leaves seems to have a second smaller leaf growing out of the side of it, but they each have their own distinct central veins that join and go to the stem.

Here is a photo

Hope someone finds it interesting

Unlike dual pods I've never seen dual leaves!

`
home-design.jpg

`

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:

What variety is that?

And I feel like I've seen leaves like that, but can't remember specifically.

Maybe I'm thinking of fig trees, though. I was looking at mine yesterday, and those things can have all different shaped leaves on the same tree...interesting stuff.

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:

`
home-design.jpg

`

Strange I've seen many dual leaves and even peppers inside peppers but never a dual pod like that.

The dual pods are cool. Is that a hereditary trait, or just a one off mutation?

I was just looking at some younger plants from the same batch of seeds and one has a similar shaped leaf to the older plant. This time it is in the third set of leaves and does not have a distinct central vein, it seems to carry on from one of the secondary veins.

Quite a common deformity I seen it on a few of my plants over the years...
But I have found usually in hotter growing conditions it is more prevalent ... Might just be me noticing it more during hot weather because I am checking on the plants more often though

Back