• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

2017 Grow Update

All of my photobucket links died on my last topic, so I'll just start anew. 
It's been about 2 months since the seeds hit dirt, and I'm pretty happy with their progress. 

Here's a picture of the leaf of the first "wild" variety I've attempted to grow, c. praetermissum. 

Some interesting variegation occurring in this plant. It looks like shit though because the damn cat chewed it a bit. I believe it is a goat's weed cross, has anyone seen this before in a variety? 

Super hairy pubescens! Thanks Malarky! 

All of them chugging along! Anyone have any suggestions? I'm feeding with fish emulsion when I water about once a week, they've been outside when it's warm but we've been getting a lot of strong wind over here so I'd rather supplement with an oscillating fan for now. 
Thanks 

Potted up this week! Got those 10 into fabric pots and this will be my first year using them. They're in 1/5 compost, 2/5 perlite, 2/5 potting soil. No water schedule, most likely daily as it gets pretty damn hot here and they'll dry out awfully fast in this soon to be July sun. 

If I can recall correctly, I potted up a yellow manzano, mini rocoto, p. dreadie, heatless hab, mustard hab, scotch bonnet, praetermissum, goats weed cross, aji habanero and aji oro. 

I gave away 6 plants, potted up a few into my garden along side chives and scallions, put a few into smaller containers, and still have 5 in solo cups that I'm not sure what to do with. 

Here's an unknown superhot from last year, I recently put it out in one of those grow bags and the new growth has been phenomenal and fast. It's also covered in blossoms, however I don't think many will set fruit for a while. It's really dense. 

This one was a little experiment I had going in about a shotglass size pot, and it got to that size in there. I started feeling bad, so I moved him into that old candle holder. It's filled with basically sand from the backyard and some rocks and it's pretty cool watching the roots shoot down. The plant is probably 8 inches tall and 3 months old. 

Budding up? I think it was a c. praetermissum. 

Here's a closeup of some of the roots.

Here's a little something strange as well, I stuck this yellow cayenne in this waterbottle just out of curiosity. unfortunately the cat found it and ate all the leaves, and it grew them back in this palm frond fashion. 

Roots!

Looks good, PMG - Interesting experiments you have going.  
I guess peppers will grow in just about anything  :lol:

The grow bags are great - I really liked them when I used them.
I grew some pretty nice sized plants in the seven gallon ones.

PaulG said:
Looks good, PMG - Interesting experiments you have going.  
I guess peppers will grow in just about anything  :lol:

The grow bags are great - I really liked them when I used them.
I grew some pretty nice sized plants in the seven gallon ones.

Thanks! 
When you used the growbags, did you notice faster drying out versus plastic pots? I worry that I might be too busy to keep up with the watering once it gets really damn hot. 

Here's a pic of a "Rocoto Rio Hualaga" from www.semillas.de. It really has not grown since a seedling, very disappointing. Im surprised it is still alive! The stem is so damn floppy, it's like it tried to damp off but managed to survive. It's the same age as all my other plants, but maybe 3 inches tall? Anyone have suggestions, should I try to bonsai it? 

This is pretty cool. I forgot this plant existed! I think it is a superhot, maybe Butch T Scorpion? It didn't produce last summer, so I stuck it in the garage and forgot about it. I recently found it in the garage near the window with barely any leaves, but it's still alive. It definitely needs a repot. I threw some perlite on top because it helps keep the soil cool. For now Im just giving it sun, fish goop, and water and hoping it makes it until I can get out and grab some more soil. 

It had a pretty bad split and one of the limbs was barely on, but dry and dead as a doornail. It must have had something thrown on it in the garage. I put some honey in the split and tied it up, hopefully it heals up. 

peppamang said:
The stem is so damn floppy...Anyone have suggestions? 
Personally, I wouldn't Bonchi it just yet. Stick a bamboo skewer or a thin wooden dowel in to stake the plant up. Then, LOOSELY (can't stress that enough) put a zip tie on it. Just above the highest leaf stems (so the zip tie doesn't slide down), and leave about 1/2" of "wiggle room," so the plant is still standing up but the wind can still blow it back and forth a little. The main stem should strengthen up over time.

Be patient; it works. I've done it ;)

peppamang said:
Here's a pic of a "Rocoto Rio Hualaga" from www.semillas.de. It really has not grown since a seedling, very disappointing. Im surprised it is still alive! The stem is so damn floppy, it's like it tried to damp off but managed to survive. It's the same age as all my other plants, but maybe 3 inches tall? Anyone have suggestions, should I try to bonsai it? 

This is pretty cool. I forgot this plant existed! I think it is a superhot, maybe Butch T Scorpion? It didn't produce last summer, so I stuck it in the garage and forgot about it. I recently found it in the garage near the window with barely any leaves, but it's still alive. It definitely needs a repot. I threw some perlite on top because it helps keep the soil cool. For now Im just giving it sun, fish goop, and water and hoping it makes it until I can get out and grab some more soil. 

It had a pretty bad split and one of the limbs was barely on, but dry and dead as a doornail. It must have had something thrown on it in the garage. I put some honey in the split and tied it up, hopefully it heals up. 

I had plants that were started in 4 inch pots and plants started in cells at the same time. For some reason, the plants started in cells were 1/4 of the size of the plants in 4 inch pots. I still have the plants in cells and they're still only a few inches tall...never made it in the garden. Even though there's still dirt for roots to grow in, I guess the roots are "cramped" in the cells. I don't know. That's just been my experience. Is your solo cup a miniature size?

Great job on your grow! Your plants look fantastic...especially the unknown superhot. Nice and lush. Congratulations on your surviving plant, too. I hope it produces a lot for you this year.

-Adam

MikeUSMC said:
Personally, I wouldn't Bonchi it just yet. Stick a bamboo skewer or a thin wooden dowel in to stake the plant up. Then, LOOSELY (can't stress that enough) put a zip tie on it. Just above the highest leaf stems (so the zip tie doesn't slide down), and leave about 1/2" of "wiggle room," so the plant is still standing up but the wind can still blow it back and forth a little. The main stem should strengthen up over time.

Be patient; it works. I've done it ;)
Thanks Mike! I couldn't find zip ties, however I had a bunch of twist ties from the market. N Here's what I've done- 

They're pretty loose so Im not worried about them cutting into the plant. I put one in the middle because the stem was pretty bent due to it falling over. I'll keep posted on how it goes. 

Bhuter said:
I had plants that were started in 4 inch pots and plants started in cells at the same time. For some reason, the plants started in cells were 1/4 of the size of the plants in 4 inch pots. I still have the plants in cells and they're still only a few inches tall...never made it in the garden. Even though there's still dirt for roots to grow in, I guess the roots are "cramped" in the cells. I don't know. That's just been my experience. Is your solo cup a miniature size?

Great job on your grow! Your plants look fantastic...especially the unknown superhot. Nice and lush. Congratulations on your surviving plant, too. I hope it produces a lot for you this year.

-Adam
Full sized solo cup. My guess is that it is weak genetics, or maybe the seedling had a disease when it was young and managed to get past it. I think the same issue may have happened, that it hasn't utilized the soil for rooting yet. All the variables were the same according to the other peppers so I really have no idea what the problem may have been. 
Thank you for your compliments! 

peppamang said:

Thanks! 
When you used the growbags, did you notice faster drying out versus plastic pots? I worry that I might be too busy to keep up with the watering once it gets really damn hot. 
I did, PMG - you have to watch them closely.
It's worth the effort - they work great.

Something I found this morning, found it pretty cool. Two pods fused! When I picked up my plant, it fell off. Kind of disappointing but it isn't that time of the year yet anyways. 

Should I be concerned about this pest? I've never seen it before.
I had another one on the stem of my plant that I'll try to describe. It was oblong and had long wings and every time I tried to get a look at it, it hopped to the other side of the stem to try to evade me. Is this a leaf hopper?
I've been growing peppers for a few years, however this is my first time ever for any pests. So far I've had those buggers, aphids, and possibly leaf hoppers. 

peppamang said:

not a pest
looks like lacewing larvae? good guy

maybe start another rio huallaga, if you have the seed. that one might be a waste of time and a new seed might just take off. or you can keep it and baby it as a pet. I have one or two like that.

peppamang said:

Thanks! 
i have used buckets, plastic pots, same grow bags you have, cheap vinyl grow bags from hydro store, cat litter pails, pickle or frosting buckets from local stores lots of different things and attempted to get the same drainage from each of them (not as easy as i had hoped)
I found that the fabric pots do dry out faster, but also had zero chance of getting waterlogged even with a heavier mix
 i tried to do a bottom watering experiment with them last year with: 'kiddy pools', but we get so much rain that it kinda negated the bottom watering part and i had to make a drain hole in the 'kiddy pools' :lol:
peppamang said:

not really a suggestion, more of an observation. I have 1 plant that has done similar for me this year. Only reasons i haven't given up on it is; I only had 1 seed, and it was on my
unicorn list :D  I have been wanting to grow it since i had first heard about it !
nu0H2K6.jpg
 Rocopica (pubescens x cardenasii) a gift from @ Hogleg [thanks again brother]
this little sprout took at least 6 weeks to show its first true leaves and even now cant be more than 6" tall in an aerogarden! and it is extremely floppy :(
(I need to snap a recent pic)

peppamang said:
Something I found this morning, found it pretty cool. Two pods fused! When I picked up my plant, it fell off. Kind of disappointing but it isn't that time of the year yet anyways. 

neat, i got a conjoined 7 pot Burgundy pod last year :)
m5upAPE.jpg
2W2XIIF.jpg

I cant be certain, but that bug kinda looks similar to a ladybug larvae, if it is  :woohoo:  :dance:

thanks for stopping by my Glog, I will be following yours

:cheers:

Back