• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

organic Am I doing organic fertilizer right for my pepper plants?

Hello all. I had a question. I am growing these 4 peppers. Mammoth Jalapenos,Tabasco Chili Peppers,Mexibelle's,Coolapenos's. Now I didn't want to go and buy any 10-10-10 Fertilizer. My soil is Sta-Green 2-cu ft Flower and Vegetable Soil. I have put banana peels that I tore up,Egg shells,leaves,torn up newspaper. I also have done epsom salt water. For the epsom salt water I have mixed 16 oz of water with 2 tablespoons of espsom salts. Also I did use grass clippings but dug it out. So I replaced it with the soil again. I had a extra bag of that same soil but it got water in it so it smelled bad so I thought it was good. But it is still wet so it is good. That was my plan so it doesn't dry out as fast.

You need to add some more amendments to that mix.  As it is, there isn't much usable by your plants.  Some nitrogen from the grass - but not much - and a little bit of  potassium from the bananas - but not right away. For eggshells to be effective, they need to be ground fine, and your soil PH needs to be at least slightly acidic. (before the addition of the eggshells)  I would omit the Epsom Salt. It's useful, but shouldn't just be added, in lieu of proper feeding.
The easy way to do organics, is by using an organic fertilizer.  Dr Earth is a good one.  Or you can feed liquid nutrients, like Alaska Fish.
Organic amendments need time to break down, where traditional fertilizers do not.  My best advice for the point that you're at now, would be to get an organic dry fertilizer, and mix it with compost, and top dress your plant containers with the mixture.  At least an inch deep.  Oh, yeah...  animals love organic fertilizers, so be aware. (expect digging)

solid7 said:
You need to add some more amendments to that mix.  As it is, there isn't much usable by your plants.  Some nitrogen from the grass - but not much - and a little bit of  potassium from the bananas - but not right away. For eggshells to be effective, they need to be ground fine, and your soil PH needs to be at least slightly acidic. (before the addition of the eggshells)  I would omit the Epsom Salt. It's useful, but shouldn't just be added, in lieu of proper feeding.
The easy way to do organics, is by using an organic fertilizer.  Dr Earth is a good one.  Or you can feed liquid nutrients, like Alaska Fish.
Organic amendments need time to break down, where traditional fertilizers do not.  My best advice for the point that you're at now, would be to get an organic dry fertilizer, and mix it with compost, and top dress your plant containers with the mixture.  At least an inch deep.  Oh, yeah...  animals love organic fertilizers, so be aware. (expect digging)

I forgot to add. I did some coffee grounds but not a lot. so with the egg thing i wanted to add some calcium so what do i need to put while it is breaking down? Also should i do 1 tablespoon of vinegar with some water? So its just a choice with either dr earth or alaska fish emulsion? What should i get with the alaska fish? Emulsion? or something else? My other question is what do i need with dr earth? I did dig out the grass in fear of grass growing in my container.

Like solid said, be patient with your growing plants. Trying to be organic is great, but it takes time for these products to break down and add nutrients to your soil. You can't just add non-composted material and expect miracles.

Find a good all around liquid fertilizer like fish emulsion or kelp or other liquid organic fertilizer. I like 'Age Old' products as well as 'Alaskan'.

Good luck with your plants. Don't overwater. TLC is great but overkill isn't.

With fish i would add some worm castings. They are somewhat affordable in the larger bags. Im testing Alaska Fish and Kelp pellets and worm castings in a small 8x8ish ground plot. You wont need additional calcium with it. 7% is plenty. Its fairly cheap and available at many of the larger stores.

Coffee grounds wont hurt a thing. Personally i love the way they loosen the soil or potting mix. I use them every year. They have basically no nutritional value until composted though so its just a amendment or soil conditioner.

Calcium carbonate can be broken down into readily available calcium with a variety of acids. Food grade phosphoric, citric acid or just plain old vinegar. Im curious if humic acid would work well too. The process is a bit slow with vinegar, as in it might take a week with daily stirrings....

catherinew said:
Like solid said, be patient with your growing plants. Trying to be organic is great, but it takes time for these products to break down and add nutrients to your soil. You can't just add non-composted material and expect miracles.

Find a good all around liquid fertilizer like fish emulsion or kelp or other liquid organic fertilizer. I like 'Age Old' products as well as 'Alaskan'.

Good luck with your plants. Don't overwater. TLC is great but overkill isn't.

I understand. I'm new to this since I'm back to growing them after almost 10 years. My other question is would i need to add vermiculite? Theres just so many things.  But i will order alaska or something like that.

Your soil index says:
  • Ready-to-use soil for planting flowers, vegetables and herbs in flower beds and gardens
  • Includes a slow-release fertilizer that feeds up to 9 months getting your plants off to a great start
  • Use in new and existing flower and vegetable gardens to improve soil
  • Rich in organic matter that conditions and improves your existing soil structure
  • Compressed bale expands to yield up to 3 cubic feet of rich garden soil
  • For in ground use or raised bed gardens
Your soil has fertilizer and some organic matter. I wouldn't add anything for about a month, then start using liquid fertilizers. You can always add worm castings, coffee grounds, but not in a large quantity.

And good luck.

You're off to a great start. You probably won't need vermiculite with this soil, though I've never used it.

IMHO - for this year, take it slow, water when the plant needs it from the bottom, start fertilizing with liquid fertilizer in June, don't worry about all of the other additives. Read up on how the experts here work with their plants. There are lots of them here. Next year you'll be one of them, too.

ShowMeDaSauce said:
With fish i would add some worm castings. They are somewhat affordable in the larger bags. Im testing Alaska Fish and Kelp pellets and worm castings in a small 8x8ish ground plot. You wont need additional calcium with it. 7% is plenty. Its fairly cheap and available at many of the larger stores.

Coffee grounds wont hurt a thing. Personally i love the way they loosen the soil or potting mix. I use them every year. They have basically no nutritional value until composted though so its just a amendment or soil conditioner.

Calcium carbonate can be broken down into readily available calcium with a variety of acids. Food grade phosphoric, citric acid or just plain old vinegar. Im curious if humic acid would work well too. The process is a bit slow with vinegar, as in it might take a week with daily stirrings....

Won't need additional calcium from the worm castings or the fish emulsion? And you were talking about the calcium carbonate is from the egg shells with acid? when the eggshells are broken down from the vinegar how much water do i cut it with?

catherinew said:
Your soil index says:
  • Ready-to-use soil for planting flowers, vegetables and herbs in flower beds and gardens
  • Includes a slow-release fertilizer that feeds up to 9 months getting your plants off to a great start
  • Use in new and existing flower and vegetable gardens to improve soil
  • Rich in organic matter that conditions and improves your existing soil structure
  • Compressed bale expands to yield up to 3 cubic feet of rich garden soil
  • For in ground use or raised bed gardens
Your soil has fertilizer and some organic matter. I wouldn't add anything for about a month, then start using liquid fertilizers. You can always add worm castings, coffee grounds, but not in a large quantity.

And good luck.

You're off to a great start. You probably won't need vermiculite with this soil, though I've never used it.

IMHO - for this year, take it slow, water when the plant needs it from the bottom, start fertilizing with liquid fertilizer in June, don't worry about all of the other additives. Read up on how the experts here work with their plants. There are lots of them here. Next year you'll be one of them, too.

I started this in April.

Codeman said:

Won't need additional calcium from the worm castings or the fish emulsion? And you were talking about the calcium carbonate is from the egg shells with acid? when the eggshells are broken down from the vinegar how much water do i cut it with?

Alaska Fish and Kelp are dry pellets with calcium from fish bone meal. Its a 4-6-6 and my worm castings are 1.25-0-0. A 3lb bag is under $10, about $7 at Walmart or Menards and a buck more at Homedepot
5-AlaskaVegetableTomato_600x600.png

I dont eat enough eggs to make it an option for me but each medium egg shell has around 800-900mg of calcium. So it has a little more than a typical calcium supplement pill.

Im just using gypsum. Its calcium sulfate and its cheap. Around $10 for a 40lb bag. The calcium is readily available so it needs no acid. It also wont effect ph.

ShowMeDaSauce said:

Alaska Fish and Kelp are dry pellets with calcium added. Its a 4-6-6 and my worm castings are 1.25-0-0. A 3lb bag is under $10, about $7 at Walmart or Menards and a buck more at Homedepot
5-AlaskaVegetableTomato_600x600.png

I dont eat enough eggs to make it an option for me but each medium egg shell has around 800-900mg of calcium. So it has a little more than a typical calcium supplement pill.

Im just using gypsum. Its calcium sulfate and its cheap. Around $10 for a 40lb bag. The calcium is readily available so it needs no acid. It also wont effect ph.

Oh! That's right. So it has to be a whole medium eggshell per container. not a lot if you crush it up and spread it. Lol. So if I'm using Gypsum wouldn't that be too much calcium if i am using gypsum and Alaska Fish and Kelp pellets?

My containers are getting a different mix than my ground plot. The ground plot is strictly Alaska pellets and worm casting plus the occasional Epsom salts later in the year. That plot is high in organic matter and compost. Im sure it will do just fine.

Im not using both at the same time. In a 3-5 gallon pot though about a tbs of pelleted gypsum should be fine no matter what fertilizer you are using.

i would suggest that you take a look at EM1 first (EM=Effective Microorganism).  be familiar with it.   
you don't need vermiculite.

ShowMeDaSauce said:
My containers are getting a different mix than my ground plot. The ground plot is strictly Alaska pellets and worm casting plus the occasional Epsom salts later in the year. That plot is high in organic matter and compost. Im sure it will do just fine.

Im not using both at the same time. In a 3-5 gallon pot though about a tbs of pelleted gypsum should be fine no matter what fertilizer you are using.

I'm curious. Since i have all that stuff in my plant pot now should i just remove it and put it in a compost bag and go with this? What else would i need besides those pellets and gypsum along with epsom salt water?

lek said:
i would suggest that you take a look at EM1 first (EM=Effective Microorganism).  be familiar with it.   
you don't need vermiculite.

Thank you! What am i looking at with EM1 exactly?

Codeman said:

Thank you! What am i looking at with EM1 exactly?

You wanna create your own fertilizer, right?
You wanna create high quality hormone for your plants, right?
You want good soil, right?
You wanna repel bad insect, right?

EM1 is the key. 

all natural!!!

lek said:

You wanna create your own fertilizer, right?
You wanna create high quality hormone for your plants, right?
You want good soil, right?
You wanna repel bad insect, right?

EM1 is the key. 

all natural!!!

Well what do I need?

solid7 said:

So Solid this what I'm going to do and I'm going to take your advice. I am probably going to remove the organic matter i just added and put it in the bag. I am going to get a bag of Alaska vegetable & Tomato fertilizer and black cow manure along with gypsum and mix that and put a inch of that on top. Black cow manure would be compost right? or would that be the soil from my bag i bought? Let me know if this sounds good to you. I will continue the epsom salt mixture down the road. I am sure i won't need any fish emulsion of kelp since it has that in pellet form for that mixture.

EM-1 is pretty much just lacto bacillus and molasses....In other words juice from homemade sauerkraut or any active veggie ferment. All that kind of stuff that gets too old goes in my compost pile. The price they want for a bottle is insane. You could make MANY gallons of a lacto B culture for a fraction of the cost.

Codeman said:

Well what do I need?

almost anything from your garden / kitchen.  e.g. egg, shrimp, vegetable oil waste, water from washing rice, garlic, fish, fish bone, banana peel, pineapple, apple cider vinegar, egg shell, onion, pork, shrimp, crab, grass cipping, beer, molasses, milk, yoghurt, ... and so on

Back