• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Aquaponic Confusion: Nitrate Conversion

Not sure if it was Bill Nye or if I am confusing videos.  Watched a video on aquaponics that confused the heck out of me.  They used the term "filter tank" and explained that it i a tank where the nitrate conversion took place.  I can understanding needing filtration to stop solids from goofing up the works, but I thought the nitrate conversion could take place in the grow beds.  Am I wrong?

The system I am toying with if flow n fill via bell siphon.  Do I need a separate tank with medium between the fish and the grow beds?

I will try to answer best I can.  The fish produce waste (ammonia).  A bacteria feeds on the ammonia and converts to nitrite.  Another bacteria feeds on nitrite and converts to nitrate which the plants use.  These bacteria cling to any surface.  Gravel medium, sides of tank, plumbing etc...  The more surface area the better which is mostly the medium (gravel, expanded clay, expanded shale, lava rock)

On bigger system, say over 500 gal, with a heavy fish load there are RFF (radial flow filter) and other types designed to collect the solids to either dispose of or further break them down before they clog up the medium. 

I have ran my 100 gal system for over 5 years with no filters and no problems.  The first year is really slow growing but get much better.  Think of it like soil as a living organism and everything needs to balance out and live in harmony.  Greens and herbs are great the first year.  I see too many people stuff the beds with heavy fruiting veggies that grow fast with the N available but start showing deficiency from lack of P and K. 

Red worms directly in the growbeds will also help the plants tremendously and help break down the solids.  Night crawlers don't do much in the wet environment.  

For more info check out  backyardaquaponics forum ..hopefully I can mention another forum and not get in hot water.

A filter for the solids was in my plans.  I was figuring on throwing the solids into a worm farm.  So is very helpful to hear I can also put them in the grow beds.  Sounds like you do not use a special tank for growing the bacteria.  Also good to know because hate the idea.  Is why the video threw me for a loop.

To be honest, the idea is rooted in wanting to raise koi more than grow aquatically.  Seem like wasting their poop is.. well wasteful.

Back