• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

harvesting Shishito: Harvest now?

Very pleased with the progress of my Shishito plant. I've got peppers this size all over, do you think I could go ahead and fry these up? Or should I wait to see a bit of red before I pluck them? I know these are good green, so I don't want to wait too long.

18489521_10154296271071595_5035990121699434972_o.jpg

That's what I'm thinking too, the red should start at the stem and then creep toward the blossom end, so it'd be an easy way to tell when to grab 'em. 

BTW these are great if you like the New Mexico style peppers and are impatient. Never expected these to fruit so fast and so many.

I agree with everyone here.
If you want to cook up a batch, I'd just pick whatever is full grown on the plant at the time.

jedisushi06 said:
green are great for pan frying, we add good sea salt at the end and lemon juice at work.  Ours are grown locally by farmers.  But i still prefer the red ones.  I'm going to dry them red this year and make my own togarashi.
We get them from a local farm at work also, just got the first of them last week!
I always liked when we'd get some ripe red ones mixed in. I prefer the taste of the red a little over the green, and it makes the plate look a whole lot better with the mix of colors.

And homemade togarashi, yes! We also use that at work, and I've wanted to mix our own, but haven't had the time...maybe I'll pawn that off on one of the cooks.

But, you should definitely make a post when you make your togarashi. I'd love to see what you're doing.

One of my peppers started turning red today, so I picked everything and fried them up. Wasn't impressed, tbh. Tasted very earthy, and had zero heat. 

I am going to dismiss this as a one-off because I only recently started spraying for bugs and I have good reason to believe that some sap-suckers got to my Shishito. Have also heard that the first crop tends to suck on all chile plants, so there's that. Not going to go and murder her yet, but will see how the next batch comes out.

My wife can't take much heat so when we were at Season's 52 they had this Shishito Pepper appetizer... I have three Shishito's growing now... not too many peppers, quite a few flowers so they'll be more. When they start turning red, I'll be harvesting and the wife will try to duplicate that recipe! BLISTERED SHISHITO PEPPERS roasted corn, Sonoma goat-feta cheese, lemon aioli, sumac.

jedisushi06 said:
green are great for pan frying, we add good sea salt at the end and lemon juice at work.  Ours are grown locally by farmers.  But i still prefer the red ones.  I'm going to dry them red this year and make my own togarashi.

Damn hippy comune rista things?
edit: I see now

Back